2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Eagles like to sub their DL early and often, its a key part of their strategy to keep them fresh - and here's their snap counts from week 2. Using a 6 man rotation
That's kinda where I'd see GB going IF they are gonna be consistent with their comments and IF they believe they have the horses to do it

Eagles Defensive line

• 46 snaps: Fletcher Cox
• 39 snaps: Brandon Graham

• 36 snaps: Haloti Ngata
• 35 snaps: Derek Barnett

• 25 snaps: Chris Long
• 24 snaps: Michael Bennett

• 23 snaps: Destiny Vaeao

In the first two games:
Clark played 59, 61 snaps
Wilk played 48, 55 snaps
Daniels 38, 51 snaps

I think the goal is for these DL guys to be in the high 30's- low 40's from a stamina point of view

we're kind of comparing apples and oranges. Most of the PHI guys you list are edge guys as opposed to DL. So when Pettine/Montgomery are making those statements, are they meaning DL, or DL+edge. When you bring edge into the equation, PHI does have probably have more quality horses, which both spreads the load on their edge players and spells the interior DL. 

Snaps per game (using a correction factor on PHI's since they've faced 128 plays vs. 143)

CMIII= 58 edge-------------Cox= 62 DL           
Clark= 54.5 DL-------------Graham= 47.5 edge
Wilk= 46 DL----------------Barnett= 41.5 edge
Perry= 40 edge-------------Bennett= 38.5 edge
Daniels= 39 DL-------------Long= 35.5 edge
Gibert= 35 edge------------Ngata= 29.5 DL
Lowry= 16.5 DL-------------Vaeao= 28 DL
Fackrell= 8.5 edge---------Hector= 5 DL
Adams= 4 DL----------------

Montez Sweat, EDGE, Miss St. 6'6" 242 LBS.

Watched Sweat vs. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama.

~ Tall, long armed EDGE. Uses full length. Hands and feet stay active. Uses outside speed rush to set up an inside move. Is familiar with stunts. Capable of getting skinny to apply pressure. Runs arc a little wide and needs to get lower and bend into the OL more. But the athleticism is there. Can change directions well. Keeps his eyes on the QB. Does a good job holding the edge. Doesn't really shed though. Effort was good. Genuine excitement for teams success. NOT a power move guy. Frame struggles to win leverage wars. Large Guards swallow him up. Didn't see a coverage rep in three games.

Overall: Classic long EDGE with a lot of intangibles and athleticism. I'm not positive that any of his game will translate super well to the Pros and I definitely don't see a Pro Bowler. 

Will watch more of him but this isn't a guy I want to spend a 1st on.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I know we have massive needs on defense, but boy, I would freaking love to see Noah Fant in Green Bay. That size, speed and power would be a very welcome addition. 

This is going to sound mean:

The neglect of positional value continues.

If Gute takes a WR, TE or IOL in the first round, he is a Vikings fan. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

If they don't draft an EDGE player with one of their 1sts I'll rage. By far their most glaring need. This defense can't get to that next level until they seriously improve the rush. Really that simple.

The pass rush hasnt been bad. The safety play gas been worse.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is going to sound mean:

The neglect of positional value continues.

If Gute takes a WR, TE or IOL in the first round, he is a Vikings fan. 

Agree and disagree. I think the NFL is about mismatches. So an elite TE is worth it, but otherwise I agree with what you're saying.

Just now, MNPackfan32 said:

Agree and disagree. I think the NFL is about mismatches. So an elite TE is worth it, but otherwise I agree with what you're saying.

Name 10 first round tight ends that turned into elite tight ends over the past thirty years.  

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Name 10 first round tight ends that turned into elite tight ends over the past thirty years.  

1. Greg Olsen

2. Vernon Davis

3. Jeremy Shockey

4. Todd Heap

5. Tony Gonzalez

Not at all disagreeing about Positional value. Just thought it would be interesting to check out. I don't know anything about football prior to 1990 so I checked back through 18 drafts. Depending on your definition of elite there was probably 5.