2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

35 minutes ago, Howler said:

I'd like to get someone like Sweat and then a receiver from the first 3 picks. Given that WRs are the focal point of this offensive system, we need to upgrade. 

We've got that already with MVS.  Do you not realize how unprecedented his season is thus far?  Right now it is abundantly clear to me that we just got the next Brown/Diggs/Colston/Thielen

Why would we waste a high pick on a receiver now that we've got MVS?  

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

You have to start thinking about Bulaga's replacement.  Drafting either a G, move McCray to T, or draft someone to that played LT in college and groom him for RT.  I agree with the statement about WI Oline.  They seem to develop solid Oline players.  Some quality depth players if possible.

Bulaga is 30 months older than Bakhtiari. People need to stop trying to push him out the door, especially when you have Spriggs waiting in the wings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howler said:

I'd like to get someone like Sweat and then a receiver from the first 3 picks. Given that WRs are the focal point of this offensive system, we need to upgrade. 

We just threw 3 picks at the WR position, and two of them have produced in limited time.  And our highest draft pick at the position really hasn't played.  If we invest a high pick into the WR position, I'm going to be super upset.  Not quite @Outpost31 upset, but pretty damn close.

• Like 4

Man got roasted here after the draft.  Was hopeful we would hit on 2 out of 3.  It's still early but that certainly looks to be the case.  That being said wouldn't burn a 1sr on a WR however if an uber talented guy was their in the 2nd wouldn't hate the pick.  Is it a top need?  No but Cobb may not be here next year.  We could use another WR.  Same can be said for TE.  Biggest needs going into next year in order  OLB, S, DT, G,TE, ILB don't have WR even on the list.  This list can and will probably change.  ILB would drop off the list if we re up Matthews and move him inside.  S is a ?  If we re sign Dix and add a Vet need will become secondary.  DT we have Clark and Daniels that's about it.  We need help here.  Lowry is JAG.  Not sure what we have in Adams. 

Shaping up to be another D heavy draft.  Gute did a good job patching up the roster this year.  He'll have to have a repeat performance next year.  Think it will take another 2 years to solidify the roster IMO.  3 year mini rebuild project.  As for OT guess that should be addressed.  Gute will probably take a couple of O-lineman in the middle rounds.  OT's and move them to G.  Not sure how long Bulaga will hold up.  Think he has a couple of seasons left in him although he's an injury risk.  Rd. 1 OLB, DT  Rd 2 OLB Rd 3 S Rd 4 OL Rd 5 TE Rd 6 ILB Rd 7 TE  something like that in an ideal world.  Sure would be nice to add a vet at OLB that would free up the draft a bit.

Edited by Scoremore

Dont know how we're gonna do it - but time has come for us to re-fortify the OL with some "cant miss" talent (if such a breed of football player exists).
I watch a lot of teams with QBs that got no shot cause their OL is an accumulation of spare parts. I apply the "ocean theory" to those teams. Its as if the QB is standing up to his waist in the ocean and a wave is just about to break 3 feet in front of them at the snap of the ball. They're simply overwhelmed. Got not time. Got no shot.

Feels like we're a few injuries at the same time away from that situation. Our depth is challenging - especially on the outside positions.

Edited by Leader

Agree Leader.  Sign an vet OLB and we could use a 2nd on an OT.   Not sure what we have in Spriggs.  If we lose Bak we would be in a world of hurt.  OL does need an influx however still feel we have more immediate needs. Specifically OLB, DT, and S.  At least on the OL we have decent starters with the exception perhaps of RG.

Edited by Scoremore

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Agree Leader.  Sign an vet OLB and we could use a 2nd on an OT.   Not sure what we have in Spriggs.  If we lose Bak we would be in a world of hurt.  OL does need an influx however still feel we have more immediate needs. Specifically OLB, DT, and S.  At least on the OL we have decent starters with the exception perhaps of RG.

No doubt. There's always gonna be needs here, there and....well, hopefully not everywhere. I dont know how (or when) they'll fill them all - and next years draft is pretty far from my mind - but just think we need to get a sure thing for the OL. I'm more concerned with RT than RG. Not because Bulaga cant hold it down - but because of his injury history .

We want AR to lead us to the promised land - well, we ignore the guys in front of him - that wont be possible.

We can help ourselves in this regard by going faster paced / quicker pass patterns offense - that would spare AR the wear and tear - thats why Brady's around and takes so few hits - but thats a different thread.

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If someone like DK Metcalf was available in the 2nd because of his injury, and he is cleared, I'm pretty sure I'm ok with taking him. But yeah no WR in the 1st for me

Or if Johnson falls. He projects to be another Jennings type. 

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bulaga is 30 months older than Bakhtiari. People need to stop trying to push him out the door, especially when you have Spriggs waiting in the wings.

Age isn't factor, it's his knees.  True, Spriggs is waiting, but he hasn't done anything to make you feel he could take over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Age isn't factor, it's his knees.  True, Spriggs is waiting, but he hasn't done anything to make you feel he could take over.

Hard to say how the medical staff feels about him. I haven't heard anything specific they have to do to Bulaga to get him ready to play on Sundays. By all accounts his surgeries have been clean.

Those same concerns about his knees are what may allow you to resign him to a value deal. That's a really good athlete even right now. He may not have the pure LT feet that he had as a 22 year old, but everything else is still looking damn good, if a hair short of elite.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to say how the medical staff feels about him. I haven't heard anything specific they have to do to Bulaga to get him ready to play on Sundays. By all accounts his surgeries have been clean.

Those same concerns about his knees are what may allow you to resign him to a value deal. That's a really good athlete even right now. He may not have the pure LT feet that he had as a 22 year old, but everything else is still looking damn good, if a hair short of elite.

I'm not sure how you can feel comfortable with him.  He's a ticking time bomb as far as injuries go.  It's been his knock going back to his days at Iowa.  He probably sticks around next year because they won't have a replacement ready, but that's not a guy you're comfortable giving a 3rd contract to.  Let some other team sign him for his injury-prone years.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure how you can feel comfortable with him.  He's a ticking time bomb as far as injuries go.  It's been his knock going back to his days at Iowa.  He probably sticks around next year because they won't have a replacement ready, but that's not a guy you're comfortable giving a 3rd contract to.  Let some other team sign him for his injury-prone years.

You don't feel good about Bulaga until he's 32. It's not like he's going to demand a 5 year deal. Even if he spends the last year as a backup, that's nothing to be upset about.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

He's battling thru what he can, but this year it's been knee, shoulder, and back.  Just a matter of time before he's on the shelf for an extended period of time.

I don't know if hock will come out this year, but he's a more complete prospect than Fant.  Maybe doesn't have the same speed and vert, but he's awfully close.  His blocking is better, though.  George Kittle 2.0.   Man, I hope Gute picks this guy when he has a chance.