2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I still don't get why media people have Josh Jacobs so high.  Sure, he's a good RB... and I guess it's okay to take RBs high now, but he's not exactly special.

My take on the list is its driven by talent evaluation - not potential draft slot.
Apparently, somebody thinks Jacobs is pretty good.

bored at work so i ripped off this little draft. i dont hate it.

12: R1P12

EDGE BRIAN BURNS
FLORIDA STATE
30: R1P30

TE T.J. HOCKENSON
IOWA
44: R2P12

LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN
75: R3P11

S JOHNATHAN ABRAM
MISSISSIPPI STATE
114: R4P12

EDGE JALEN JELKS
OREGON
118: R4P16

OT WYATT MILLER
UCF
150: R5P12

TE CALEB WILSON
UCLA
185: R6P12

RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
194: R6P21

WR JAKOBI MEYERS
NC STATE
226: R7P12

S JOJO MCINTOSH
WASHINGTON

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's almost a dream scenario with 2 QBs and a WR going in the top 10.

I honestly believe three will go Top 10. Denver is in love with Lock. And Washington is rumored to be in the market too. They may look to jump Denver should Murray and Haskins both go early

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

My take on the list is its driven by talent evaluation - not potential draft slot.

But like the thing I do not understand is- why is Jacobs better at being a running back than Greedy Williams is at being a cornerback (a more valuable position)?  Like how do we account for positional value here?  Michael Dickson was the best punter a lot of people ever scouted last year but nobody was putting him in the top 20.

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I still don't get why media people have Josh Jacobs so high.  Sure, he's a good RB... and I guess it's okay to take RBs high now, but he's not exactly special.

The guys does everything at a very high level. The only thing he lacks is homerun hitting ability, but even at that, he's not slow and perfectly capable of ripping off huge runs. He's phenomenal as a pass blocker and receiver, making him a plug and play 3-down back immediately for whatever team takes him. If the board doesn't fall right for them, I could see Baltimore, Philly, or KC scooping him at the end of the 1st. I wouldn't mind him at #44 

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

or Oliver.

Thing is, if we don't go EDGE at 12 it's almost a certainty that all the ones we're drooling about will be gone by 30. Unless you're OK with grabbing Winovich / Allen later (or maybe Polite), it's probably better to go EDGE at 12 and then try to nab one of the lesser hyped DTs later. 30/44 will probably have enough on the board to get two of TE, OL, S or DT

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

Thing is, if we don't go EDGE at 12 it's almost a certainty that all the ones we're drooling about will be gone by 30. Unless you're OK with grabbing Winovich / Allen later (or maybe Polite), it's probably better to go EDGE at 12 and then try to nab one of the lesser hyped DTs later. 30/44 will probably have enough on the board to get two of TE, OL, S or DT

True. Not super impressed with any of the Edges after Burns/Ferguson honestly.

10 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I think Ed Oliver (and Devin White) are your fallback options if 5-6 Edges go before 12 and you can't trade back, but probably aren't preferred over a guy like Burns or Sweat.

23 hours ago, n8ghee said:

I got a real strong gut feeling after watching Jace Sternberger (spelling?) tape that he could be a packer target. Sounds like the type of seam guy MLF talks about liking at TE.

Jace is probably my best "value" TE in this year's class.  Get him in the 3rd and I'll be pleased.

22 hours ago, SSG said:

Is it though?  That's 2 top 5-15 talents in a lot of drafts.  Next years IDL class isn't going to hold a candle to this year's and Daniels time as a Packer is coming to an end sooner rather than later.  Probably not ideal for next year but that's a ton of value for a DC who loves his IDL.

Drafting 2 DL that high is pretty much putting the writing on the wall that Adams is a bust and that Mike Daniels is gone after next year.  I'm still skeptical that the Packers will re-sign Daniels, but I'm not ready to write off Adams.  The only guy that is guaranteed a roster spot in 2020 is Kenny Clark.  If Simmons is still sitting there in the 3rd round (and I don't think he will be), I'm pulling the trigger on him.  But anything earlier than that and I'm out.  We need at least 2 EDGE, 2 S, and probably an OL or two.

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Strikes me as pretty close to ideal, if you land a free agent safety.

EVJm6lL.png

Swap Devin Bush out for someone else.  Real meh on any of the Round 3 prospects on aside from Nelson.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

I honestly believe three will go Top 10. Denver is in love with Lock. And Washington is rumored to be in the market too. They may look to jump Denver should Murray and Haskins both go early

Denver just traded for Joe Flacco, and they had the opportunity to take Josh Rosen last year and chose Bradley Chubb instead.  I think they're one of the teams that are content passing up on a potential QB if they don't love his fit.  Washington and Miami are the two most obvious suitors for QBs.

Archived