2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Pilprin said:

FSU and OLB's Edge usually a bad deal...I also think he is a bit light. I like Burns potential...but at 12 you need a starter. I think Sweat, Allen, Ferrell, and Gary can start day 1...I also think White would be a great pick at 12...ILB for the next 8-10 years.

Still salty about Jamal Reynolds? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

Sweat Played in the SEC vs ACC...Heavier and holds the edge better. Is just a more complete player.

Doesn't bend or dip on film worth a damn. Burns does. Sweat holds the edge in the run game and has heavy hands. They're equals to me. Depends on what Pettine wants.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not taking Burns because of Jamaal Reynolds is like not taking Bryan Bulaga because of Robert Gallery.  Don't take Burns because you don't like something you see in his game.  

That is not what I said...However, I don't like where Burns if from...most importantly he seems like a finesse player. He has tons of potential, I just don't like him at 12. At 30...go for it. Sweat would be the big hold the edge type with great length and strength. 

Just now, Pilprin said:

That is not what I said...However, I don't like where Burns if from...most importantly he seems like a finesse player. He has tons of potential, I just don't like him at 12. At 30...go for it. Sweat would be the big hold the edge type with great length and strength. 

Fair enough.  I also think Sweat will be a better player. 

34 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

You're ignoring that there is a serious finesse component to being an elite pass rusher, otherwise Perry would be a perennial All Pro. Length and strength are a part of the equation, fluidity and bend are another big part and Burns blows Sweat out of the water there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Sweat is likely a more well rounded player in terms of defending the run and rushing the passer.  He tested extremely well.  

Burns offers some ridiculous athleticism/bend around the corner, pass rush moves, and more off ball versatility when dropping into zones.  I'm more concerned with his ability to set the edge because he played at 220 in college.  He's at 240 now, but that is something to consider.

Honestly, I don't think Gute will have to make a choice.  I'd imagine one or maybe even both will be gone by 12 with the way they tested.

I read where he played this year at 235 and now 247.  Clay is now listed at 255 and listed at 240 at the combine.

I feel both Burns and Sweat along with Allen are the best options in the first for Green Bay. 

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're ignoring that there is a serious finesse component to being an elite pass rusher, otherwise Perry would be a perennial All Pro. Length and strength are a part of the equation, fluidity and bend are another big part and Burns blows Sweat out of the water there.

Agree and would add that Burns does not turn 21 until just before the draft.  He has some time to put on some more mass in the next 2-3 years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Still salty about Jamal Reynolds? 

And Alphonso Carraker, not to mention Terrell Buckley! We've not had the best of luck with FSU guys and twice (Derwin James and Prime Time) we passed on real studs out of FSU and it didn't turn out great. Passing on James so far doesn't look too bad. 

32 minutes ago, Golfman said:

And Alphonso Carraker, not to mention Terrell Buckley! We've not had the best of luck with FSU guys and twice (Derwin James and Prime Time) we passed on real studs out of FSU and it didn't turn out great. Passing on James so far doesn't look too bad. 

I thought T Buck was reaching deep but then you went Carraker. Let’s not act like FSU hasn’t produced some tremendous talents; though much of it has come from the skilll positions and not the bigs

29 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I thought T Buck was reaching deep but then you went Carraker. Let’s not act like FSU hasn’t produced some tremendous talents; though much of it has come from the skilll positions and not the bigs

Didn’t T-Buck play like 15+ years in the NFL and retire the active leader in interceptions?

• Like 2