jleisher

2019 Draft Discussion

13 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Yes t buck had a good career, he just never lived up to his draft position here

Wolf bailed on him way too soon.

25 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Didn’t T-Buck play like 15+ years in the NFL and retire the active leader in interceptions?

Close.  14 seasons, and 50 INTs for his career.  That ranks him tied for 35th all time.  The players that are ahead of him that either also retired in 2005 or were active are: Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Ty Law, Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey, and Asante Samuel.  Some of these guys are too young to have accumulated more than Buckley by 2005.  He may have been the active leader at retirement, but I think Deion was ahead of him.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/04/27/packers-first-round-pick-alexander-invites-parallel-terrell-buckley-bad-thing-good-thing/558369002/

here is the career leaders in INTs:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/def_int_career.htm

Edited by ThatJerkDave

Ok...watched some video...Burns has a nice bend around the corner and speed to the QB...but thin and lack of strength evident. Sweat much stronger, but does lack a bend. He is more like a Perry but with more speed, length, and hand fighting. A Darkhorse that I REALLY like is the kids from Old Dominion, Oshane Ximines. I would be excited to add him at 30 or 44

You know, we could get one of our favored pass rushers at 12, THEN also get Jachai Polite at 30 or 44 if he really slides.

Passing on a FSU rusher because 15+ years ago FSU rushers didn't work out in the NFL ignores both how the NFL and how college football programs have changed in that time.  Like, I bet Jamaal Reynolds would have been an effective player in the modern NFL since there's a much lower premium on run defense than pass defense now and a lot of guys his size do fine.  I mean Jimbo Fisher came and went (having been hired for more money at A&M) after Reynoids was drafted.  Let's not forget that the NFL collectively decided 250ish was a fine weight for Burns, when in the early 2000s 267 was considered too light for Reynolds.

I mean are people going to pass on Clelln Ferrel this year because Philip Merling and DaQuan Bowers were underwhelming?  Pass on Etienne next year because of C.J. Spiller?  Once upon a time Clemson had a rep of "guys who don't translate to the NFL" but now they're easily the most talented squad in CFB.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

And Alphonso Carraker, not to mention Terrell Buckley! We've not had the best of luck with FSU guys and twice (Derwin James and Prime Time) we passed on real studs out of FSU and it didn't turn out great. Passing on James so far doesn't look too bad. 

It is obvious teams should pass on the busts and select the studs from every school.  This is GMing 101.  Let's hope Gutekunst was patina attention in class.

Can Cleelin Ferrell play at 250-260? If so...he could be a STUD at Edge...bigger than that and he is probably more of a DE

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You know, we could get one of our favored pass rushers at 12, THEN also get Jachai Polite at 30 or 44 if he really slides.

12 - Sweat

30 - Polite

44 - Dee Ford

2 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Yes t buck had a good career, he just never lived up to his draft position here

I’m the “vaccinator”. I’m going to come up and give somebody a shot.  T- Bucks best quote. 

2 hours ago, Pilprin said:

Ok...watched some video...Burns has a nice bend around the corner and speed to the QB...but thin and lack of strength evident. Sweat much stronger, but does lack a bend. He is more like a Perry but with more speed, length, and hand fighting. A Darkhorse that I REALLY like is the kids from Old Dominion, Oshane Ximines. I would be excited to add him at 30 or 44

But Ximines was terrible in the all star game and just as bad during the practice week. 

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

what It is obvious teams should pass on the busts and select the studs from every school.  This is GMing 101.  Let's hope Gutekunst was patina attention in class.

Where did I state we should pass on him because of FSU. That I stated is when we draft FSU guys they tend to under preform compared to position drafted. Then I stated a few we passed on when maybe we shouldn't have. 

Seriously!  

Edited by Golfman

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

But Ximines was terrible in the all star game and just as bad during the practice week. 

And.....

Game tape says he can play...that matters way more to me than the Combine and post season games.

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Where did I state we should pass on him because of FSU. That I stated is when we draft FSU guys they tend to underpreform compared to position drafted. Then I stated a few we passed on when maybe we shouldn't have. 

Don't be an idiot. 

Well, what was the point of saying that in the first place then? Why bring it up if you didn’t mean anything by it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

And.....

Game tape says he can play...that matters way more to me than the Combine and post season games.

Not really. I don’t think he looked all that dominant against that compose faced. 

A player from Old Dominion who has a bad combine/all-star game is going to raise more concerns than a player from Alabama.