2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

31 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Well, what was the point of saying that in the first place then? Why bring it up if you didn’t mean anything by it?

We've missed on FSU guys, both when we drafted them and when we passed on them. That is a fact. Doesn't mean it has any bearing on Burns. I do think he's going to get over drafted. 

8 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why don’t you like Burns? He’s also athletic as heck. Think he’s be a great pick at 22 and I’d grab him unless Sweat, Allen, Bosa or Eilliams we’re there. Maybe even over Gary because of rumbling over his work ethic.  

Oliver way before Gary and Burns

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You're ignoring that there is a serious finesse component to being an elite pass rusher, otherwise Perry would be a perennial All Pro. Length and strength are a part of the equation, fluidity and bend are another big part and Burns blows Sweat out of the water there.

Technically Sweat showed at the combine he has better bend. Just doesn't play with it. Maybe with coaching he will.

Not sure where to put this so I put it here. I'm not normally in favor of trading draft capital for players but I think this year is the exception for me. 

I'd give up a 2 for Dee Ford. I'd also give up a 4 and Kizer for Josh Rosen. He was not horrible based on the talent level he had on that roster. I think sitting for a few years behind Rodgers would do this kid well and we could potentially carry on with stellar QB play into a 4th decade. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Not sure where to put this so I put it here. I'm not normally in favor of trading draft capital for players but I think this year is the exception for me. 

I'd give up a 2 for Dee Ford. I'd also give up a 4 and Kizer for Josh Rosen. He was not horrible based on the talent level he had on that roster. I think sitting for a few years behind Rodgers would do this kid well and we could potentially carry on with stellar QB play into a 4th decade. 

A 4 shouldn't get it done and we shouldnt part with a 4th. I think those two ships are FAR apart. Maybe in 2-3 years but it's too soon for that. If the worst happens to Rodgers again and he has to retire we'll pick higher than we currently are to find the new heir. No need to go down that road just yet.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

I’ll add this. Would you draft Dee Ford with the 44th pick in this draft knowing the production you would get from him?

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’ll add this. Would you draft Dee Ford with the 44th pick in this draft knowing the production you would get from him?

That's not even a question. Of course hes worth 44 if you can pay him as a if he were a second round pick.

Just not that simple.

• Like 2

I just watched a bunch of individual game tape...here are some of my initial thoughts while quickly watching.

Oliver-doesn’t have much against big time competition, that being said. I’d take him at 12, no questions asked. Greats power in his hands, with a super fast first step.

Sweat- hardly ever shows up on tape. He does have elite athleticism, but I don’t think his tape warrants a 1st round pick, let alone pick 12. Plays soft as butter.

Polite- plays a bit timid in non pass rushing situations, altho, in pass rushing situations...he has a fantastic first step, feet, and body control. High ceiling if he figures out the run game, should have success as a pass rusher soon. Based off tape, worthy of a 1st round pick to me.

Gary- solid feet and punch, I could see him being an above average defender against the run and pass. I like his floor compared to the other edge guys, worthy of a 1st round pick.

Burns- has some real horrible tape, especially against Bama. Does possess elite athleticism, you can see it on tape, but doesn’t combine it with any moves. I wouldn’t take him at 12. Has a high ceiling based off of athleticism, but that could take some time.

Devin Bush- good golly me Molly. I love devin whites tape, and I may just like Bush’s gametape more. I’d take either of them in the 1st, no questions asked.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

A 4 shouldn't get it done and we shouldnt part with a 4th. I think those two ships are FAR apart. Maybe in 2-3 years but it's too soon for that. If the worst happens to Rodgers again and he has to retire we'll pick higher than we currently are to find the new heir. No need to go down that road just yet.

Report is teams are saying that is all they'll give up for Rosen. He may garner more than that, but Kizer and a 4th is fair compensation. I think this kid can play so why not have your back up QB on the roster for the next 3 years given Rodgers recent history. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

That's not even a question. Of course hes worth 44 if you can pay him as a if he were a second round pick.

Just not that simple.

Really? You are going to pay somebody of lesser talent in free agency, or you're looking at the position being seriously short on talent again in 2019, even if you draft a guy at 12. Nobody on our roster strikes fear in offensives regarding their pass rush skills, NOBODY.