2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Lurked for years. First post. It seems the discussion has dipped recently.I hate the Edge class after the top two. We just signed two edge because I think the FO thinks the same. Bet they miss on Waldo's numbers too.

Remember this is Pettine. He has a different (cheaper) mold. And no one is worth a first to the new regime except the top two. Burns is NOT his type. I loved CMIII, but his build only gave us five good years and he's not a Pettine type imo.

I also really hate the first round, esp 10-25ish. This is not last year's class.

I see two safeties CGJ and Adderley. The first is flying up boards. But I think Pettine has a high grade on Hooker. My dream would be CGJ and Hooker --BOTH. Love them both. And I suspect Pettine is pounding the table for Hooker --Hyde plus.

For the 12 I only see Hock and maybe Wilkins (if he fits and the staff likes him). Otherwise I have absolutely nothing. Six guys at the spot last year; 1-2 this year. I'm hoping for a move down big time. 

I've warmedup for a month to taking a TE there. LaFleur wants to run the offense through Hock. I love that myself and try to regard him as a TE plus 1/2 lineman to justify the pick. He's worth more than most TEs. Really a Gronk2.0. Seriously Wilkins (fit?) and Hock are it at 12. No way at all we take EDGE round one. What are y'all thinking? These prospects are just not worth it

There's a ton of gold from 25-75. That's where I want 5-6 picks and a REAL talent restock. A couple bigs -- the o-line is on crutches imo -- and we need depth and future starters on d-line.

Anyways, Hock and CGJ would be a killing in round one. Also happy with a big at 30. I just think edge, outside rounds 2-4 is idle talk. We have like 6 holes to fill that are bigger and have better prospects. (And seriously White has overdraft and bust written all over him, at a non premium position to boot.)

Finally Sanders is not getting enough love. Unfortunately, I see him flying up boards too. What don't yall like there? He outplayed Barkley in college imo. Is his vision bad? Cuz he has more reliable yards than Barkley and we really need a third back esp with LaFleur. Jones goes down yearly. Just can't rely on him.

Anyways. Good discussion recently. Just too much unrealistic talk about edge after the Smith signings (which I love given the present class). And remember we spent a ton of capital on Raji, CMIII, Worthy, Harrell, etc at least 5 ones and a two. Clarke was a great grab and a solid projection but no reaches ever again please. Likewise with the athletes. I want players like CGJ or Adderley, not athletes and pipe dreams like Josh Jones -- whose tape wasn't there and is likely a bust.

SIX ones on DL and Edge since Harrell (whom I regard as a good pick btw). And I way prefer Saunders day 2 to the head case with atop 12

Edited by JaireAlex
Correction/addition
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Lurked for years. First post. It seems the discussion has dipped recently.I hate the Edge class after the top two. We just signed two edge because I think the FO thinks the same. Bet they miss on Waldo's numbers too.

Remember this is Pettine. He has a different (cheaper) mold. And no one is worth a first to the new regime except the top two. Burns is NOT his type. I loved CMIII, but his build only gave us five good years and he's not a Pettine type imo.

I also really hate the first round, esp 10-25ish. This is not last year's class.

I see two safeties CGJ and Adderley. The first is flying up boards. But I think Pettine has a high grade on Hooker. My dream would be CGJ and Hooker --BOTH. Love them both. And I suspect Pettine is pounding the table for Hooker --Hyde plus.

For the 12 I only see Hock and maybe Wilkins (if he fits and the staff likes him). Otherwise I have absolutely nothing. Six guys at the spot last year; 1-2 this year. I'm hoping for a move down big time. 

I've warmedup for a month to taking a TE there. LaFleur wants to run the offense through Hock. I love that myself and try to regard him as a TE plus 1/2 lineman to justify the pick. He's worth more than most TEs. Really a Gronk2.0. Seriously Wilkins (fit?) and Hock are it at 12. No way at all we take EDGE round one. What are y'all thinking? These prospects are just not worth it

There's a ton of gold from 25-75. That's where I want 5-6 picks and a REAL talent restock. A couple bigs -- the o-line is on crutches imo -- and we need depth and future starters on d-line.

Anyways, Hock and CGJ would be a killing in round one. Also happy with a big at 30. I just think edge, outside rounds 2-4 is idle talk. We have like 6 holes to fill that are bigger and have better prospects. (And seriously White has overdraft and bust written all over him, at a non premium position to boost.)

Finally Sanders is not getting enough love. Unfortunately, I see him flying up boards too. What don't yall like there? He outplayed Barkley in college imo. Is his vision bad? Cuz he has more reliable yards than Barkley and we really need a third back esp with Pettine. Jones goes down yearly. Just can't rely on him.

Anyways. Good discussion recently. Just too much unrealistic talk about edge after the Smith signings (which I love given the present class). And remember we spent a ton of capital on Raji, CMIII, Worthy, Harrell, etc at least 5 ones and a two. Clarke was a great grab and a solid projection but no reaches ever again please. Likewise with the athletes. I want players like CGJ or Adderley, not athletes and pipe dreams like Josh Jones -- whose tape wasn't there and is likely a bust.

I love Hooker too. What makes you think he’s a Pettine guy?

3 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Really smart player. Pettine guy, no?

Also a sure thing imo. Am I right to be thinking he's Hyde with more athleticism?

I was getting the Hyde vibes as well because of Hookers slot corner usage. Hookers a little squatier and probably will be a straight up safety immediately though. I’m more of a fan of Adderly than CGJ. Given our roster construction I think we should expect 1-2 safeties this draft class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

Really smart player. Pettine guy, no?

Also a sure thing imo. Am I right to be thinking he's Hyde with more athleticism?

I feel that there is not enough credit given to football inteligence when ranking players for draft.  It is not a measurable trait so it is not always included.  I would take a safety with average to above average athletic ability and great smarts (Jim Leonard type) over a safety with off the charts athletic ability and poor instincts (Josh Jones) any day.  A safety like Leonard could read the offense and be in the proper position by anticipation and taking proper angles.  Safeties like Jones must react to the play and often miss.

35 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I'm waiting until closer to draft day to release the full roundup because so many guys didn't do certain drills at the Combine (or we don't have 10-splits that are out yet), but guys who did well so far are:

Brian Burns, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, John Cominsky, Chase Winovich, Maxx Crosby, Ben Banogu, Anthony Nelson, Rashan Gary, and Montez Sweat

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

I was getting the Hyde vibes as well because of Hookers slot corner usage. Hookers a little squatier and probably will be a straight up safety immediately though. I’m more of a fan of Adderly than CGJ. Given our roster construction I think we should expect 1-2 safeties this draft class.

Hooker is round three. CGJ and Adderley may both go round one. That makes Amani much more a target imo and a value pick. Anything can happen with how deep this safety class is and how stupid teams get when drafting there. Draft Network just bumped up CGJ to number 9 or 12 on their big boards. I don't think I want him at 12, but I value 10 year starter above all else in this top thin class. LIS I'd love both CGJ and Hooker.

Do we have a slot guy outside Alexander? CGJ would fill that hole, Amani would do ok there. Grabbing both would give us a solid and deep secondary. It was on my dream draft until CGJ flew up. Adderley might be out of reach for us if he checks the box at single high for other teams. Not sure how highly Pettine values that spot. 

Pettine puts his premium on DL and then DL and after that DL. Am I right? I do wonder how highly he puts ILB and where Bush falls. I'd be ok at 30 with him and happy at 44 (see Wagner). Otherwise lots of OL and DL --even Edge (44) --at those picks.

Edit: Pettine values two spots only: DL and corner. After that he likes versatility but can fill in safety, ilb and edge with cheaper draft picks. Am I seeing this right? I like him 10times more than Capers just from a drafting perspective.

Edited by JaireAlex
Correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Quick 4 Round Mock Draft:

1A. Dillard

1B. Adderly

2. Anthony Nelson

3. Devine Ozigbo

4A. Amani Hooker

4B. Kaden Smith

Ozigbo is a plodder. I have him as an FA. Sanders is legit. What's wrong with him? I'd take injured Anderson before Ozigbo there. I see nothing in him.

Also I take CGJ before Adderley if they are even on your board. I think he's better for our team and the injury drops Nasir for me.

Otherwise, I like that draft.

45 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Guys, Jim Leonard wasn't even really that good lol.

You are correct.  

He was only 5'8" and 185 lbs and only ran a 4.63 forty yard dash.

Still he was a 2 time All State player from a very small school in northern Wisconsin.  Too small to play Division 1 football.

Walked on at Wisconsin.  Too small in stature so he only made All American 3 times. 21 career interceptions and B1G record (at the time) punt return yardage.

Too small to play in the NFL deemed the experts holding a measuring tape.  Signed as an UDFA.

Went on to have a solid 10 year NFL career.

They forgot to measure his level of football smarts and his heart.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

First two picks I could live with. Nelson I'm extremely meh on, you took a priority FA in round 3 though, yikes.

I'll be surprised if Ozigbo makes it through the 4th. Guy would be a nice fit in GB. Zone runner who tested very well at his pro day.

• Like 1