2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Hooker is the only pick I even remotely like on that list.    the Adderly pick might be ok, sure would like to see his times.  the fact that he chose not to run at the combine is a strike against IMO.  Makes me think his speed is marginal.

Who? Adderley? The only thing that would make his speed marginal was the level of competition he was running down all over the field. Maybe they werent the swiftest (I cant say) - but Adderley he was closing them down. I like Adderley a lot. I like CGJ almost as much - and - have no "level of competition" concerns. I'd be really happy with either.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I'm happy with Burns at 30, one higher than Hughes. I see value in Burns. Don't get me wrong. I just don't see a 12 there.

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand the view that Burns is anything but a top 5-7 prospect in this class. He has the production, the measurables, and the athletic testing to all warrant it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand the view that Burns is anything but a top 5-7 prospect in this class. He has the production, the measurables, and the athletic testing to all warrant it.

Thats where you get into the player vs positional value - to the team.
How far down the line you put his value?

For me - he seems a top the positional list - and I want to cross the position off the list - so 12? Would work for me. Where do you put him?

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

My point on him is that Pettine doesn't value that at a 12. Other teams do. Am I wrong?

What about the DL whom Pettine DOES value? I see round one in Williams and Wilkins only. Is anyone else worth a 12, or even a 30? I am not feeling it. I am real happy with Hock and an OL at 30. 

And I only joined to get some discussion on this. Do we serious draft a non Pettine guy when we just picked up the Smiths? Seems a day two pick at edge is ten times more likely with all our needs.

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

My point on him is that Pettine doesn't value that at a 12. Other teams do. Am I wrong?

What about the DL whom Pettine DOES value? I see round one in Williams and Wilkins only. Is anyone else worth a 12, or even a 30? I am not feeling it. I am real happy with Hock and an OL at 30. 

And I only joined to get some discussion on this. Do we serious draft a non Pettine guy when we just picked up the Smiths? Seems a day two pick at edge is ten times more likely with all our needs.

There are examples and counterfactuals for what Pettine likes in his EDGE guys. He has worked with both big guys and small guys. Power guys, speed guys, bend guys, all guys.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats where you get into the player vs positional value - to the team.
How far down the line you put his value?

For me - he seems a top the positional list - and I want to cross the position off the list - so 12? Would work for me. Where do you put him?

Burns is my EDGE3 behind Bosa and Allen, probably fifth on my overall big board behind Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver, and Allen.

Big Board for GB that is. I have Kyler Murray as first overall on a general big board.

Edited by rcon14

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Burns is my EDGE3 behind Bosa and Allen, probably fifth on my overall big board behind Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver, and Allen.

Big Board for GB that is. I have Kyler Murray as first overall on a general big board.

Okay - I can see that - but I think 3 of these 4 are pretty much slated to go top ten right? Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver, and Allen

Putting Burns (and maybe Oliver) around the top of the list at 12.....right?

Add on: I'm not paying any attention to Murray - other than to figure him to take some top 10 slot. I guess.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Okay - I can see that - but I think 3 of these 4 are pretty much slated to go top ten right? Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver, and Allen

Putting Burns (and maybe Oliver) around the top of the list at 12.....right?

Add on: I'm not paying any attention to Murray - other than to figure him to take some top 10 slot.

Yup. Burns and Oliver are my top guys at 12. I see a trade down as probably being my 3rd spot, honestly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Yup. Burns and Oliver are my top guys at 12. I see a trade down as probably being my 3rd spot, honestly.

Okay - I can see that too (amazing how well I can see today..... :) )

So - personally, I'd take Burns - but thats just me and my desire to kill off the position. The Burns vs Oliver talent differences (?) as it pertains to our system? Too subtle for me to gauge.

But - say you trade down - how far would you consider going - and for who? You think either (or both) of these guys would still be there (?) or you have your eyes on a different guy/position?

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

ED OLIVER would be a better pick at 12 than Wilkins.

Like at 12, I want Quinnen Williams, one of the five edges, or Oliver.

I'm not an Oliver fan. Give me Saunders later.

I don't think Burns is valued at 12 by Pettine. (But I could be wrong. Just facilitating discussion for what our options are.)

I'm just trying to get a feel for what in the world is worth our 12 to THIS team.

I see trade down as the best option at 12. I just want Hock and that's a high price for TE. Y'all are convincing me we don't have a pick at 12