2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thing to keep in mind- Houston was playing him out of position at nose tackle.  Realistically you can line him up anywhere from 3 to 9 and it'll work; he can probably play 2 or 3 of the LB positions too.  Green Bay is not looking for another nose tackle.

Oliver can move from NT to LB? Thats a pretty wide spectrum on skill sets.....but I'll take a look. Thanks.

2 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

I do look forward to that. We could get a decent pick up at 44 or later. I'm not sold on Burns. Not a Pettine guy at a Pettine price. Pettine's round ones are CB, DL, and blue Chip. Burns is too light to do what Pettine wants. We are looking for guys like the Smiths.

How many drafts has Pettine actually had that much influence in?  Since he's been a DC, he's had Jaire Alexander, EJ Manuel, Quinton Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kyle Wilson, and Mark Sanchez.  Coples was viewed as an EDGE coming out.  Either way, not sure it's anything to make a definitive opinion on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

I'm happy with Burns at 30, one higher than Hughes. I see value in Burns. Don't get me wrong. I just don't see a 12 there.

Honestly, if you don't like Burns at 12, who do you like?  The kid tested about as well as you wanted.  EDGE are the players you don't want limited athletically.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Improved it to a 4.65. Still....that's Jake Ryan territory.

4.65 is fine for ILB. Honestly all the talk of Mack being a R1/R2 guy seemed weird to me. I don't value OBLB all that high, but he'll probably be fine as a R3 ILB.

21 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Well. As I said above. I am happy if they take Burns at 12. I am happy if they pass. It will tell us something about Burns and the value on that type by this regime.

I just think Pettine doesn't put that pricetag on a part time player. I also DO NOT unless he is a sure thing. Keep in mind Pettine schemes pass rush and did a great job last year with no talent. He values the edge play while I am sure not overrating it and the starters did very well against the run before injuries --- it leads to third and longs while the actual run numbers don't much matter anymore.

Anyways, some good discussion. I am still sitting at Hock or move down. I don't value anyone at 12 and like round 2-3 a lot.

Will take another look at Burns and Oliver. I only glanced and don't value them that high.

Thanks. I actually think CMIII is worth a 12 only. That body just doesn't age well as he proved. Others too.

Do you have a big board or anything that you're working on?
I'd be interested in seeing how this draft is tiered.

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Technically, we don't have to draft an Edge early. With Smith and Smith secured at 4 years each, and at ages where they should see the end of their deals, it's not a must have, at least early. Just tossing it out there.

This is totally true - hence the options are being considered - its just that Burns is considered a top talent of all prospects - not just positional.
We better have a real good game plan if we're gonna pass on a BPA which could solidify our DL for awhile. In theory at least, we're not gonna be drafting this high for much longer.........

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

My point on him is that Pettine doesn't value that at a 12. Other teams do. Am I wrong?

What about the DL whom Pettine DOES value? I see round one in Williams and Wilkins only. Is anyone else worth a 12, or even a 30? I am not feeling it. I am real happy with Hock and an OL at 30. 

And I only joined to get some discussion on this. Do we serious draft a non Pettine guy when we just picked up the Smiths? Seems a day two pick at edge is ten times more likely with all our needs.

First off, good luck trying to find any quality EDGEs in the draft that late.  Most are rotational guys who you let walk as FAs in a few years.  You either take an EDGE in the first or you're waiting until next year.  Secondly, I'm assuming you're referring to Greedy Williams?

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Burns is my EDGE3 behind Bosa and Allen, probably fifth on my overall big board behind Bosa, Quinnen, Oliver, and Allen.

Big Board for GB that is. I have Kyler Murray as first overall on a general big board.

That big a fan of Kyler?

I mean, Edge is not a need.  However, no NFL team has enough edge rushers and if you can draft a guy who is appropriate value in slot at a premium position who will contribute immediately (even if it's just in certain packages), you take him.  In this particular case, with Burns, it's pretty clear they are going to bring Z. Smith inside on some downs to rush from the B-gap, and so someone has to play on the outside...

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Honestly, if you don't like Burns at 12, who do you like?  The kid tested about as well as you wanted.  EDGE are the players you don't want limited athletically.

As stated, I like no one at 12. This is way worse at the top than last year. All my posts are trying to get a discussion about who is worth the twelve. Maybe Burns is better than I have him.  That's fine. I'd be happy. Just getting a feel for what is worth the twelve. Id rather have more picks. 

We need more (top 75) picks and there is some great talent in rounds two and three.