2019 Draft Discussion

16 minutes ago, Burnett42 said:

Doesn't really talk about what they can bring as a blocker or how they can draw coverage up to make WRs jobs easier, or how TEs like Finley opened up for the rest of the offense stretching the seam. Idk. Just took from that quote that they are slower and less productive, but that could just be me.

LOL. It wasnt a research project. What you took from the quote is actually correct. This collection of players indicates that generally (overall) they are less productive. Its hard to downright impossible to assign data points to "intangibles" such as blocking and "opening the field up"

Edited by Leader
1 hour ago, blankman0021 said:

He’s Elite at certain things. I’d argue as a receiver he’s top 10. Not top 5. 

Hes not gonna outrun most DBs. But he’s more than fast enough, and can out-muscle and high point with the best. 

He's more than elite at everything but running a 4.4 forty is what you're saying. I'm not sure he's not elite and think there are more than 4 guys that belong on that list. Thomas from New Orleans is another one IMO.  

Edited by Golfman
On 3/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, Dubz41 said:

Hey Dallas! How'd that work for you?       Three playoff wins in the last 20 years?!?!  Just 3? All wild card rounds? All three were just wild card round wins? 

I'd use a different example maybe.

But Dallas doesn't have one of the top 2 QBs in the league. Many consider them to have a winning formula with their OL and defense. Their last 3 playoff exits were: us in 2014 when we were NFC favorites and the infamous Dez catch no-catch game, us in 2016 during "run the table" when they were the top seed and last year to the eventual NFC conference champs in a close game, hardly anything to scoff at, and that's with Dak at QB. Imagine what Rodgers could do behind an all-Pro OL especially if we nab one of the 2 Iowa TEs with the 30th pick. 

Oh and SF almost won the SB when they had an all-Pro OL before that (they were literally one play away).

I'm not saying we should definitely go OL with the 12th pick, but if, by some miracle, Jawaan Taylor does fall to us, run that card up unless Oliver's still on the board.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

But Dallas doesn't have one of the top 2 QBs in the league. Many consider them to have a winning formula with their OL and defense. Their last 3 playoff exits were: us in 2014 when we were NFC favorites and the infamous Dez catch no-catch game, us in 2016 during "run the table" when they were the top seed and last year to the eventual NFC conference champs in a close game, hardly anything to scoff at, and that's with Dak at QB. Imagine what Rodgers could do behind an all-Pro OL especially if we nab one of the 2 Iowa TEs with the 30th pick. 

Oh and SF almost won the SB when they had an all-Pro OL before that (they were literally one play away).

I'm not saying we should definitely go OL with the 12th pick, but if, by some miracle, Jawaan Taylor does fall to us, run that card up unless Oliver's still on the board.

Reasonable point, but I think Dillard is a better player. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Reasonable point, but I think Dillard is a better player. 

With pieces in hand (Bakh is the one blue-chip OL) I take Jawaan to play on the right side over Dillard 10 times out of 10.  Dillard is a good pass protecting left tackle... but we've got one of those already.

21 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

With pieces in hand (Bakh is the one blue-chip OL) I take Jawaan to play on the right side over Dillard 10 times out of 10.  Dillard is a good pass protecting left tackle... but we've got one of those already.

It's not rocket science. Dillard, IMO is the better player. He can play RT for a few years it we decided not to give Bakh a third contract. I'M not advocating that but you really have to see where he is health wise when this deal is up. 

• Like 2

Just a quick 5 round Fanspeak mock.

DL Ed Oliver

DL Jeffery Simmons

S Nassir Adderly

TE Dawson Knox

WR Terry McLaurin

S Amani Hooker

OT Isaiah Prince

Would that it were!

Edited by blueswedeshoes

Draft Network mock of the night-

• 12 Montez Sweat , EDGE  Mississippi State
  • 30 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson , S Florida
  • 44 A.J. Brown , WR Mississippi
  • 75 Renell Wren , IDL Arizona State
  • 114 Josh Oliver, TE San Jose State
  • 118 Max Scharping, OT Northern Illinois
  • 150 Foster Moreau, TE LSU
  • 185 Jahlani Tavai, LB Hawai'i
  • 194 Hjalte Froholdt , IOL Arkansas
  • 226 Bryce Love , RB Stanford
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Just a quick 5 round Fanspeak mock.

DL Ed Oliver

DL Jeffery Simmons

S Nassir Adderly

TE Dawson Knox

WR Terry McLaurin

S Amani Hooker

OT Isaiah Prince

Would that it were!

I've been curious about Dawson Knox so I watched his game vs Miss St, and I'm not impressed.  His route running is pretty poor and he's not a very good blocker.  It looks like his hands aren't bad and he doesn't look slow but he can't create separation through route running because his routes are just bad.  As far as blocking goes he's at least willing but he's not aggressive and often times meets his guy and stops his feet or lets the guy come to him.  I don't know if he needs good coaching or if he just isn't very talented.  I'd like to think he can be coached up but I don't know how much upside he has.  I don't know much about the other later round projected tight ends either so maybe he'd be ok to grab and make a project out of.

Love the draft overall though.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Leader said:

LOL. It wasnt a research project. What you took from the quote is actually correct. This collection of players indicates that generally (overall) they are less productive. Its hard to downright impossible to assign data points to "intangibles" such as blocking and "opening the field up"

Yes you cant measure the intangibles and that's what makes it not as simple as you portray it to be by just looking at yards and TDs.

3 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

Yes you cant measure the intangibles and that's what makes it not as simple as you portray it to be by just looking at yards and TDs.

I'm confused as to how Julio Jones doesn't open things up for his teammates in comparison to Tight Ends? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

You could indirectly measure the intangibles. 

Compare runs that Kittle was in the game versus runs that Kittle was out of the game and see if there's a difference.

Compare runs that Kittle was an active play side blocker to runs he wasn't really involved. 

Compare passing plays where Kittle was in the game versus plays he was out of the game and see what the difference in average yardage is.

• Like 1

ahh, the amusement of Fanspeak's simulator ... getting my hopes up with weeks to wait yet ...

12: R1P12
DL ED OLIVER
HOUSTON
30: R1P30
S NASIR ADDERLEY
DELAWARE
44: R2P12
RB JOSH JACOBS
ALABAMA
75: R3P11
EDGE ANTHONY NELSON
IOWA
114: R4P12
TE JOSH OLIVER
SAN JOSE STATE
118: R4P16
WR TERRY MCLAURIN
OHIO STATE
150: R5P12
S DARNELL SAVAGE
MARYLAND
185: R6P12
OT MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON
194: R6P21
CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN
226: R7P12
DL DANIEL WISE
KANSAS
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

I suspect your intent was to type "Yes you can measure the intangibles......"

If so......

Fine. I look forward to the results of your research.