2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

21 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Define deep. The top 15 is loaded with defenders. It isn’t just about the 1st pick we have though. There are a lot of good wrs, TEs, and OL projected late 1-3rd. We could still go O heavy and take a blue chip defender at 12. It wouldn’t surprise me if we took offense with our 30, 44, and 75.

?

I never used the term "deep"  My comment was that its generally accepted there's more defensive talent in this draft. Not that no offensive talent exists.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

?

I never used the term "deep"  My comment was that its generally accepted there's more defensive talent in this draft. Not that no offensive talent exists.

There is more D talent for sure. The offense would have to be where we pick.

Honestly I would give up our 12 for a 2 and three round 3 picks. More shots and some great talent. There is just a load of interesting DL and safety there and just depends on how good your scouting is. Keke is one of like six DL that remind me of raw or "not ideal" picks like Daniels. That year was a deep DL and our 4th was a way better pick than our second. I have the same feel here. Same with safety. They WILL fall and be steals, so many. Hooker is probably my favorite for GB, Savage the glitter.

Way rather have three more shots in round 3 if we don't get a premier position at 12. And there is a very good chance we won't. Ben Bur Kirven is not much drop off from Bush and is worth a three or four. The real value in this draft will be from 64-120. We have three picks there. Six picks is almost sure to transform this team.....I say that because there are some pretty sure picks down there unlike the top of this draft.

Also TE is the second most loaded in ten years. That is deep. Compare Rodgers who was the second best TE in his class in retrospect. For GB I only like 3 picks rounds 2-4 ....still that's 3 more than Richard Rodgers' class had. Sternberger in three would be nice. Not sure he has a round 2 grade, same with Warring. But Moreau will be solid imo as a late round 3 pick. Another way to see it, is I think Harry is a better run blocker than Sternberger. It depends if they think he can bulk up and be a plus in run game. If not, Harry is much better value in both run and passing.

This edge class does not shine for me. But I see value rounds 2-4. 

We have the most draft capital ever. This draft class will define the Gute era imo. It's an opportunity like in 2009, which brought us a Superbowl. The 2010 team had outstanding secondary and Oline as well as a load of WR. For edge 2 we had superstars Zombo and Walden (maybe better than the starter they replaced.) Our secondary is far easier to fix  than our pass rush in this draft with what we have already and what the draft offers.

I am really vexed by the draft as well as with draft discussions.

i remember as a kid we would choose 2 captains and the rest of us would stand there waiting to be chosen.

as a child I was pretty big(tall) and a little geeky. But I could ball with the best of them. My opinion is that for fans the draft is a popularity contest.

i was never Mr. Popular growing up. Even though I ended up being King for Homecoming, it was more about never quitting.

I have 9 brothers, one still holds HS records almost 60 years later as a wrestler. I was never allowed to quit, it was beaten out of me at a very age.

for those that care, I went on to a halfway productive football career. Heck, I even played on the same teams in LaCrosse as B. schroeder.

My only hope is that the Packers draft based on what they see and can evaluate. Not on popularity.

11 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

People are going to be shocked/upset when GB doesn't draft a WR, or takes one really late. In terms of needs, that position is somewhere between middle to bottom third of the list

I was with you......except for Gute's talk and bringing in Brown.

They are definitely looking at day three slot receivers -- two already. I am surprised they are looking at a day 1/2 option. And I am warming up to it. The only guy for me is Harry though. Not like Davante Adam's class at all, where we stole the number two receiver in a class with a ton of good prospects. Still, I would be good with Harry at 44 or even 30 since there isn't any (even one) clear stand out pick at that spot, just  my opinion. They are bringing in A.J Brown just to be sure one way or the other on him, but I really don't know about him.

Anyways, I will only be upset if they make a clearly bad pick. This draft can go ten different ways really. We can grab a guy for almost any position with our lack of depth.

Edited by JaireAlex

37 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

People are going to be shocked/upset when GB doesn't draft a WR, or takes one really late. In terms of needs, that position is somewhere between middle to bottom third of the list

This organization seems to value offensive positions in the following order: QB, OT, WR. We've invested as many high picks in WR as we have OT for over a decade. If the value is there we'll take it and its likely in the first two rounds we'll see value in that position.

• Like 1

Interesting player comparisons from TDN:

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson (Pick 12) v. Alabama TE Irv Smith Jr. (Pick 44)

Well hello, Packers fan!

I'll try to take this one agnostic of the team, but that's a tricky ask. The Packers have bigger needs than TE (a dominant offensive lineman and a rangy safety would both do the trick) but with 3 picks in the top 45, they can attack an elite tight end like Hock if they want to.

And Hockenson would fit nicely with Green Bay, offering the most well-rounded skillset of all tight ends in this class. Hockenson's more of an underneath/intermediate threat than he is a deep seam-buster, so he would need to be paired with receivers who can attack downfield.

The same goes for Smith though -- he's a well-rounded player and decent athlete who can give you everything you need at the tight end position, though with a relatively modest ceiling. As it stands, I'm not sure Irv is worth the 44th pick in this class of great tight ends, but I'm not sure any TE is worth 12 overall.

I'll go for the elite player in Hock at 12. I think he's a can't-miss player.

Delaware S Nasir Adderley (Round 1) v. Maryland S Darnell Savage (Round 3)

Darnell Savage has really killed this season and pre-Draft process. I remember sitting in the Round 1 game -- Maryland v. Texas -- with Kyle, trying to convince him that Antoine Brooks was the safety to pay attention to in Maryland. Shoulda trusted the vet.

Savage had a strong senior season that landed him in the Senior Bowl; as strong a Senior Bowl as a safety can have; a killer Combine and on-brand Pro Day. He played himself from national unawareness to a Day 2 selection, and it was exciting to watch. He may end up being a nickel/safety hybrid at the next level, but so may Adderley, so good match-up regardless.

Adderley was on radars coming into the season as a potential FCS standout, though I don't think Round 1 was a consideration until his dominant senior tape. I thought Adderley struggled at the Senior Bowl a bit more than Savage did, though again -- it's really hard to get a feel on safeties at the Senior Bowl practices. In the game he was strong, as Jon Gruden let him know with some emphatic stickers.

Both players are Round 2 grades for me, though Adderley is higher -- accordingly, I'm going with Savage. But I will say that I wouldn't fault any team in need of a free safety with preferring Adderley at the Round 1 price tag -- matter of preference.

15 minutes ago, deathstar said:

This organization seems to value offensive positions in the following order: QB, OT, WR. We've invested as many high picks in WR as we have OT for over a decade. If the value is there we'll take it and its likely in the first two rounds we'll see value in that position.

I don't see how that relates to what I said. Green Bay needs more thain just help on offense, so I don't see where the offensive drafting tendencies comes up. There's a huge hole at S and TE, could use another corner, another EDGE player, another DL, and RB is a low key need being that our best RB has ended both of his first two seasons on IR and cant be counted on. We have an elite player in Adams, a reliable #2 in Allison, and two rookies who flashed in Scantling and ESB, not to mention its too early to give up on Moore. That's far from the bottom of WR corps in the league and Rodgers with Lafluer will make it work. 

If you're asking me, Green Bay has two needs: safety and tight end. Those two positions have the most direct route to playing time. After that they can use depth everywhere. WR comes well after EDGE/DL/CB/OL/RB for me (in no particular order) and using an early pick on a WR takes away from those. Protection and a strong running game will help Rodgers more than another WR will. 

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

I was with you......except for Gute's talk and bringing in Brown.

They are definitely looking at day three slot receivers -- two already. I am surprised they are looking at a day 1/2 option. And I am warming up to it. The only guy for me is Harry though. Not like Davante Adam's class at all, where we stole the number two receiver in a class with a ton of good prospects. Still, I would be good with Harry at 44 or even 30 since there isn't any (even one) clear stand out pick at that spot, just  my opinion. They are bringing in A.J Brown just to be sure one way or the other on him, but I really don't know about him.

Anyways, I will only be upset if they make a clearly bad pick. This draft can go ten different ways really. We can grab a guy for almost any position with our lack of depth.

Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown has been a busy man. He’s already met with the Patriots, Colts, Giants and Eagles to name a few. Also upcoming visits lined up with the Bills and Packers.

Zach Kruse:  A.J. Brown to GB at 44 makes a lot of sense to me. Big, athletic, functionally versatile, catches everything, good after the catch, quick in short areas ... Lance Zierlein sees Ju-Ju and I can see it too.

Lance Zierlein:  My Ju-Ju comp is primarily due to size, strength and competitive nature to win the catch. He's got some dog in him in a good way.

Daniel Jeremiah:

These things can all be true:

I love Aaron Donald I love Ed Oliver
They both have elite quickness.
Aaron Donald had much better hand usage & pass rush plan/execution/production. He didn't get uprooted vs run, Oliver does at times.
Ed Oliver will be a very good pro.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse:  A.J. Brown to GB at 44 makes a lot of sense to me. Big, athletic, functionally versatile, catches everything, good after the catch, quick in short areas ... Lance Zierlein sees Ju-Ju and I can see it too.

AJ Brown at 44 would be great. Step in the right direction to having a loaded offense similar to 2011

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

AJ Brown at 44 would be great. Step in the right direction to having a loaded offense similar to 2011

On draft day I'll agree with you wholeheartedly....if we knock off the positions I want knocked off with 12 + 30.

I sense.......
Oliver wont be there at 12 and we WONT go EDGE there but rather rest our laurels on our FA acquisitions.
So - like Hunter Henry and Tremaine Edmunds before him - I'll have to watch Brian Burns career from afar :(
I wont complain "per se" but suffer a momentary disappointment.....cause we're gonna overdraft Hock at 12! (And the Packer Board erupts!) LOL

46 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

I don't see how that relates to what I said. Green Bay needs more thain just help on offense, so I don't see where the offensive drafting tendencies comes up. There's a huge hole at S and TE, could use another corner, another EDGE player, another DL, and RB is a low key need being that our best RB has ended both of his first two seasons on IR and cant be counted on. We have an elite player in Adams, a reliable #2 in Allison, and two rookies who flashed in Scantling and ESB, not to mention its too early to give up on Moore. That's far from the bottom of WR corps in the league and Rodgers with Lafluer will make it work. 

If you're asking me, Green Bay has two needs: safety and tight end. Those two positions have the most direct route to playing time. After that they can use depth everywhere. WR comes well after EDGE/DL/CB/OL/RB for me (in no particular order) and using an early pick on a WR takes away from those. Protection and a strong running game will help Rodgers more than another WR will. 

You said that we wouldn’t draft a wide receiver. I pointed out we tend to draft wide receivers high and there’s a lot of value in the late first-second in the WR position this draft. I understand you feel we have needs elsewhere but that’s less important to me when we are trying to figure out what’s going to happen.

• Like 1

I feel like as much as people want Green Bay to take Hockenson for whatever reason, this scouting department is not that different from its previous incarnations and "premium picks spent on non-premium positions" is not a thing we've seen around here in some time.  I could see a situation like last year where Edmunds and James were both available and Gute passes on spending the high pick on a safety or a linebacker.  I could totally see this year have the board get decimated but Hockenson is sitting there at 12 and we just take Tillery or Jonah.

Only way I can see a high pick being spent on a tight end is if LaFleur really bangs the table for "get me a tight end, I will not accept Sternberger or Warring or (Josh) Oliver!"

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2