2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I would take Mecole Hardman before I took Riley Ridley. 

WRs I would take before Riley Ridley- A.J. Brown, Hollywood Brown, N'Keal Harry, Hakeem Butler, Deebo Samuel, Paris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Andy Isabella, Mecole Hardman, Emanuelle Hall, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, DaMarcus Lodge, and Stanley Morgan Jr.

Riley is like a 3rd-4th round pick.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

WRs I would take before Riley Ridley- A.J. Brown, Hollywood Brown, N'Keal Harry, Hakeem Butler, Deebo Samuel, Paris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Andy Isabella, Mecole Hardman, Emanuelle Hall, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, DaMarcus Lodge, and Stanley Morgan Jr.

Riley is like a 3rd-4th round pick.

Add Dillon Mitchell, Darius Slayton and Miles Boykin. Hell, I think I'd take Terry Godwin, another UGA player, before I took Ridley. I just don't see it with him. 

1. Hakeem Butler
2. AJ Brown
3. DK Metcalf
4. N'Keal Harry
5. Marquise Brown
6. Deebo Samuel
7. Parris Campbell
8. Mecole Hardman
9. Terry McLaurin
10. Kelvin Harmon
11. Emanuel Hall
12. Andy Isabella
13. Dillon Mitchell
14. Darius Slayton
15. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
16. Miles Boykin
17. DeMarkus Lodge
18. Stanley Morgan Jr
19. KeeSean Johnson
20. Terry Godwin

Yes, Ridley is a better athlete than half those guys but I think those 20 are better than he is as a WR. Some of them don't have his upside but they are crazy safe (McLaurin, Harmon, Johnson, Boykin, JJAW, Godwin) options that will be reliable for you on a weekly basis. 

Edited by beekay414

It seems like, when doing a mock draft for a big site like NFL.com, giving a team a player at an unexpected position is fine, but giving them the wrong player at that position seems like an unforced error.  Like in Schrager's mock, two WRs were off the board- Metcalf and Hollywood.  So if you're taking the third guy, you could say "look at the top 5 WRs posted by your coworker".  If you didn't want to give them A.J. Brown since Mr. Brooks is giving him that player at 30 in his mock then pick one of the other two guys.  Like mocking N'Keal Harry or Parris Campbell would not have combined the complaints of "don't take a WR there" and "don't take that WR there."

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown has been a busy man. He’s already met with the Patriots, Colts, Giants and Eagles to name a few. Also upcoming visits lined up with the Bills and Packers.

Zach Kruse:  A.J. Brown to GB at 44 makes a lot of sense to me. Big, athletic, functionally versatile, catches everything, good after the catch, quick in short areas ... Lance Zierlein sees Ju-Ju and I can see it too.

Lance Zierlein:  My Ju-Ju comp is primarily due to size, strength and competitive nature to win the catch. He's got some dog in him in a good way.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Interesting player comparisons from TDN:

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson (Pick 12) v. Alabama TE Irv Smith Jr. (Pick 44)

Well hello, Packers fan!

I'll try to take this one agnostic of the team, but that's a tricky ask. The Packers have bigger needs than TE (a dominant offensive lineman and a rangy safety would both do the trick) but with 3 picks in the top 45, they can attack an elite tight end like Hock if they want to.

And Hockenson would fit nicely with Green Bay, offering the most well-rounded skillset of all tight ends in this class. Hockenson's more of an underneath/intermediate threat than he is a deep seam-buster, so he would need to be paired with receivers who can attack downfield.

The same goes for Smith though -- he's a well-rounded player and decent athlete who can give you everything you need at the tight end position, though with a relatively modest ceiling. As it stands, I'm not sure Irv is worth the 44th pick in this class of great tight ends, but I'm not sure any TE is worth 12 overall.

I'll go for the elite player in Hock at 12. I think he's a can't-miss player.

Delaware S Nasir Adderley (Round 1) v. Maryland S Darnell Savage (Round 3)

Darnell Savage has really killed this season and pre-Draft process. I remember sitting in the Round 1 game -- Maryland v. Texas -- with Kyle, trying to convince him that Antoine Brooks was the safety to pay attention to in Maryland. Shoulda trusted the vet.

Savage had a strong senior season that landed him in the Senior Bowl; as strong a Senior Bowl as a safety can have; a killer Combine and on-brand Pro Day. He played himself from national unawareness to a Day 2 selection, and it was exciting to watch. He may end up being a nickel/safety hybrid at the next level, but so may Adderley, so good match-up regardless.

Adderley was on radars coming into the season as a potential FCS standout, though I don't think Round 1 was a consideration until his dominant senior tape. I thought Adderley struggled at the Senior Bowl a bit more than Savage did, though again -- it's really hard to get a feel on safeties at the Senior Bowl practices. In the game he was strong, as Jon Gruden let him know with some emphatic stickers.

Both players are Round 2 grades for me, though Adderley is higher -- accordingly, I'm going with Savage. But I will say that I wouldn't fault any team in need of a free safety with preferring Adderley at the Round 1 price tag -- matter of preference.

No way we take Hock at 12. Only after a move down......to 18ish. I'd be ok with that. I'd be ok with Bush (gone at Pittsburg) after a move down too. And that brings into play a plan for some BIGS in rounds 2-4 where the value is at.

I'm all the way back to my beginning on safety. Hooker at 75 or a ton of solid guys in 3-5. Hooker seems like the safe pick to me. He might go higher  I don't know. Blace (Troy) -- day 3 -- is the first cb I looked at and he screams packer pick if they think he will get back more speed after that ACL tear in 2017. He trimmed his time by a tenth. Both he and Hooker are huge ball Hawks too.

I do like that site but they (like most) don't get Packer's emphasis on premium picks high. Hock would be a huge exception to the rule and only because he can be key to LaFleur and is a very safe pick in a weak top class. Still, move down. And I really doubt the Packers take a safety at 30 in this class unless they see Nick Collins.

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

AJ Brown at 44 would be great. Step in the right direction to having a loaded offense similar to 2011

I like Brown. I think he fits at that 44-60 range. Good kid. The big question is do he want to do baseball.

N'Keal Harry is the real deal. Gute is thinking about him in 1, maybe even the 12. Packers take a lot of pride in their 1st and 2nd round receiver picks. I think Harry makes the grade. He is special and is just scratching the surface. Gonna be a star with the right coaching 

8 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

AJ Brown at 44 would be great. Step in the right direction to having a loaded offense similar to 2011

I like Brown. I think he fits at that 44-60 range. Good kid. The big question is do he want to do baseball.

N'Keal Harry is the real deal. Gute is thinking about him in 1, maybe even the 12. Packers take a lot of pride in their 1st and 2nd round receiver picks. I think Harry makes the grade. He is special and is just scratching the surface. Gonna be a star with the right coaching 

Is there even a single thing posted in here thats correct 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Is there even a single thing posted in here thats correct 

I meant the question about Brown is his love of the game. He loves baseball and would follow that if it works out for him. What am I missing?

Brown is a round two slot guy. Really like him. Don't know his ceiling. But I can't see a slot being a first rounder.

Metcalf is not on GB's board for the neck alone and Brown out produced him and is the better football player. 

TT has never been against a receiver in round one. It just has to be the right player. That never happened. They thought about Dez Bryant in 2010. I think they made the right decision.

I see Harry as a blue Chip in the rough and coming out a year early. I don't doubt they have him as a possibility and pretty sure round one but I can't grade it closer. We rarely have even a shot at these types and there ain't much else I can see. Gute went to a game and his pro day. He is high on their board.

"When I was at Green Bay, we didn't take Randy Moss because of a character issue, and he never had one bit of a problem in the NFL, and he just kicked our *** every single time he played against us," Wolf said. "And, of course, I kicked my *** every time for not taking him. The guy we took instead was (defensive lineman) Vonnie Holliday who played (15 years in the NFL). He's a high-character guy, and he was a wonderful player."

Edited by JaireAlex
Wolf quote. Packers and drafting receivers

I feel like "is he actually going to play football" is a question that we can trust teams to know already.  Like when Jeff Samardzjia was a draftable WR coming out of Notre Dame (he set receiving records there!) he told the NFL "nah" and it paid off for him.

But the problem is that baseball is a pretty significant gamble- you have to earn almost nothing for 3 years before you are eligible for arbitration.  If it turns out in those three three years that you aren't a major league caliber player, you basically never make anything.  NFL pays you right away- 30th pick last year (Mike Hughes) got a 4 year, $9,867,484 deal, with $8,209,918 guaranteed and a $5,256,352 signing bonus.  44th pick last year signed for 4  yr(s) / $9,867,484, with a $2,734,951 SB.

Not many 20-somethings are going to turn down $3-$5m immediately for the promise of a huge payday in like 6 years (which you can still get in the NFL).

CHTV:  At 6'4 and 230 lbs, DK Metcalf is an athletic freak who can burn defensive backs left and right and can reach the ceiling to high point the ball to haul in any pass.  He has proven, when he is on the field he possesses game-changing ability.  This eye-popping, game-changing ability certainly translates into Metcalf having a realistic chance of being an elite NFL receiver.  

The only question of his candidacy for the 12th pick in April's draft is whether or not the Packers can feel confident selecting a player with a questionable medical history.

I personally believe this year's draft is far too crucial to the Packers future to draft a player whose career could realistically end with one hit.  The reality of the situation is DK Metcalf has yet to sustain a hit since his neck surgery and there is a huge risk factor investing such high draft capital as the Packers would be chartering into the realm of the unknown when it comes to his health.  Yes, he has been cleared by his surgeon, but there has to be a high level of trepidation surrounding his candidacy.

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Add Dillon Mitchell, Darius Slayton and Miles Boykin. Hell, I think I'd take Terry Godwin, another UGA player, before I took Ridley. I just don't see it with him. 

1. Hakeem Butler
2. AJ Brown
3. DK Metcalf
4. N'Keal Harry
5. Marquise Brown
6. Deebo Samuel
7. Parris Campbell
8. Mecole Hardman
9. Terry McLaurin
10. Kelvin Harmon
11. Emanuel Hall
12. Andy Isabella
13. Dillon Mitchell
14. Darius Slayton
15. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
16. Miles Boykin
17. DeMarkus Lodge
18. Stanley Morgan Jr
19. KeeSean Johnson
20. Terry Godwin

Yes, Ridley is a better athlete than half those guys but I think those 20 are better than he is as a WR. Some of them don't have his upside but they are crazy safe (McLaurin, Harmon, Johnson, Boykin, JJAW, Godwin) options that will be reliable for you on a weekly basis. 

i've only watched those first 6 guys enough to have solidified opinions about them so far, but agree completely w/ those first 6... maybe just swap 3 & 4 maybe. nah actually definitely swap 3& 4.

Edited by FinneasGage

16 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

the only receiver/pass-catcher worthy of 12 is hakeem butler 

My personal opinion is that the quality of those guys presumably available at later picks gives me the confidence to pass on literally any pass catcher in the draft at 12.  I mean, the tight end depth doesn't get real exciting until R3-4, but the WRs available in the 30-44 range are going to be pretty high quality.

• Like 1