2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Here's a question for you guys. Don't be generous because you just want shiny new toys. FYI I don't know the answer.

At this moment - who in this class of WR is better than ESB and MVS ? As in first day of camp head and shoulders better.

Edited by cannondale

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

My personal opinion is that the quality of those guys presumably available at later picks gives me the confidence to pass on literally any pass catcher in the draft at 12.  I mean, the tight end depth doesn't get real exciting until R3-4, but the WRs available in the 30-44 range are going to be pretty high quality.

yeah i definitely agree. value/talent wise i think he's the only one where the talent actually matches the value of the pick tho. i love these receivers so far. 

7 hours ago, smetana34 said:

People are going to be shocked/upset when GB doesn't draft a WR, or takes one really late. In terms of needs, that position is somewhere between middle to bottom third of the list

I only agree with this if you're talking taking a WR on day 3, which would more likely be a wasted pick. A day 3 WR isnt cracking the lineup with Adams, MVS, ESB, Allison, etc. However a day 1 (30) or day 2 WR, especially one suited for the slot should see A LOT of playing time in 2019.

This team is still looking for its No. 2 WR and that guy may not be on the roster right now. MVS and ESB are the best candidates and both have a long way to go.

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

At this moment - who in this class of WR is better than ESB and MVS ?

Brown, Brown, Campbell, Harry, Butler, Samuel, Isabella, McLaurin are the guys I'm looking at as upgrades to the corps.  Some of which because they are similar to those guys but are an upgrade and others because they just are different types.  Ideally a WR group is like a basketball team, so you have a number of different skillsets available and not just "all tall linear fast guys" or "all short, quick guys" just like you wouldn't want to have all centers or all shooting guards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBURGE said:

AJ Brown at 44 would be great. Step in the right direction to having a loaded offense similar to 2011

Have a feeling if you want Brown, you're going to have to spend pick 30 on him. I think he's a guy that probably lasts longer than 30 but is gone by 44. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Have a feeling if you want Brown, you're going to have to spend pick 30 on him. I think he's a guy that probably lasts longer than 30 but is gone by 44. 

Or, maybe a move down from 30 to 36 or something. 

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Dilemma I keep coming back to is "how to stack Adderly and Chauncy Gardner-Johnson compared to the WRs".  Or really "how much better is the WR/Safety at 30 versus the WR/Safety at 44."   Like I feel like Adderly and CGJ are much better than the next few safeties, and while Brown is with absolutely no question at all the best WR from Ole Miss in this draft, I don't know if he's that much better than the WR at 44.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yes, Ridley is a better athlete than half those guys but I think those 20 are better than he is as a WR. Some of them don't have his upside but they are crazy safe (McLaurin, Harmon, Johnson, Boykin, JJAW, Godwin) options that will be reliable for you on a weekly basis. 

Not sure I follow - Ridleys thing is he’s got great skills but is a bad athlete. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else? 

45 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Dilemma I keep coming back to is "how to stack Adderly and Chauncy Gardner-Johnson compared to the WRs".  Or really "how much better is the WR/Safety at 30 versus the WR/Safety at 44."   Like I feel like Adderly and CGJ are much better than the next few safeties, and while Brown is with absolutely no question at all the best WR from Ole Miss in this draft, I don't know if he's that much better than the WR at 44.

Agree with your assessments.

Take CGJ/Adderley at 30 and pair him up with Amos. Position set going forward. 

EDGE/IDL @ 12
S @ 30 (if not before...)
TE @ 44 (if not before...)

:D

Edited by Leader

47 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Isn't CGJ a bad athlete? I feel like he had a pretty bad RAS.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with your assessments.

Take CGJ/Adderley at 30 and pair him up with Amos. Position set going forward. 

EDGE/IDL @ 12
S @ 30 (if not before...)
TE @ 44 (if not before...)

:D

I'd honestly like an OT b4 a safety or TE. I'd be OK with Simmons a DT at 30 if he were sitting there as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Isn't CGJ a bad athlete? I feel like he had a pretty bad RAS.

Didnt look like a bad athlete from the film I saw and his name is top of the list with ADD at Safety. So he cant be a chump. I'd be happy with either player. I want the position filled with that "type" player who I think would give us the "center field" coverage we need and would marry up with Amos's skills. 

IMO of course.