2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Deionte Thompson might be sitting there at 44 IMO. Not sure I'd take the kid there either. 

I'm not playing the "might be there" or "might fall to us" game this draft. We're selecting higher than normal and I hope they take advantage of the better talent levels we'll have a shot at.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Brown, Brown, Campbell, Harry, Butler, Samuel, Isabella, McLaurin 

I don't think we take the speedy small guys high. Deebo has injury history. I have to watch Butler. I have hardly looked at WR and just wrote it off because we have a good group to develop. But I do think as of now, Campbell, McLaurin, AJ Brown, and Harry (Butler could be too pricey) are in play. Brown and Harry produced though. That's a benchmark for a GB high pick, as well as determinative of next level production. And Gute is looking for someone like the last two for good reason. Look back at Cobb highlights in 2011 before he was all beat up. I'm actually excited about an upgrade. More than TE and we can grab a TE  in 3-4 and have 2 starters next year anyway.

I think they may grab a shifty small guy in 5-7 as they have been looking at them. That diversity will create matchup nightmares for defenses. 

Our WR room could be stacked back to 2011 level like @JBurge said

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not playing the "might be there" or "might fall to us" game this draft. We're selecting higher than normal and I hope they take advantage of the better talent levels we'll have a shot at.

No idea what you mean by this? You are picking positions prior to knowing who is there and now saying you we need to get 'better talent levels.' That seems contradictory. If you want to get better talent you take the best talent available when you draft. If you want to get 'better talent' you take the most talented when the pick comes up. 

I get the ideally what you'd like, but the draft has to fall to you in order to fill those needs at 12, 30 and 44. Otherwise you reach and wind up with busts. 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not only will Hooker be available later, but good chance he will be better too and more what Pettine wants. As well as later picks. Reliability is a big issue. Only Adderly has it among the popular ones ......and he's dinged up. I hope they are targeting the later round gems myself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Golfman said:

No idea what you mean by this? You are picking positions prior to knowing who is there and now saying you we need to get 'better talent levels.' That seems contradictory. If you want to get better talent you take the best talent available when you draft. If you want to get 'better talent' you take the most talented when the pick comes up. 

I get the ideally what you'd like, but the draft has to fall to you in order to fill those needs at 12, 30 and 44. Otherwise you reach and wind up with busts. 

Ahhhhhhhh.......far as I can tell everybody's "picking positions prior to knowing who is there" - unless of course, you know when and where these players will be drafted. The "get better talent levels" speaks to being reticent to dropping back - to presumably - secure lesser talents. We have plenty of high draft slots. I'd like to hold on to them (rather than picking up later round slots) and/or move up - to get certain players. As I've said multiple times, I personally have positions I'd like to fill. Will GB follow that path? Almost assuredly not. I'm less opposed to a reach of a few draft slots to snag a certain player / talent - than I am sitting tight hoping that guy falls to you - and then he doesnt.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think he's okay there, I think he just plays a bit slower than he is because he needs to see it first. Sometimes that gets fixed with reps, and sometimes it doesn't.

I really think Adderly is the better player.  At least that's what I see when I watch them both play.  It's fairly close, but I would go with Adderly if it were my choice.  The one thing he is MUCH better at than CGJ is tackling.  I'm not a fan of players that just dive at the knees of the ball carrier.  CGJ is good at it and aggressive about it but he WILL miss tackles in the NFL if that's all he does.  The only issue I see with Adderly is he can be susceptible to counters and reverses.  I think that can be corrected though.  He's pretty aggressive about pursuing and isn't shy about being decisive, he just needs to learn to be more disciplined in his reads. 

Lots of weird things IMO, especially the Packers nugget

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/surprises-we-can-expect-at-the-top-of-the-2019-nfl-draft/ar-BBVr1hr?li=BBnba9I

This includes Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst continuing to be proactive by offering up the 12th overall selection in the draft to the Jaguars for Pro Bowl cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

No way do I make that trade

Edited by cannondale

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If Jacksonville is really looking to move Ramsey, I would dangle 30.

I wouldn't. It's a trap. Contract is up after this year and he is gonna be very expensive to retain. Why pay twice ... if the plan is to land him wait a year. I just don't think we need to go there. We hopefully have our CB core.....cheap.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Lots of weird things IMO, especially the Packers nugget

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/surprises-we-can-expect-at-the-top-of-the-2019-nfl-draft/ar-BBVr1hr?li=BBnba9I

This includes Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst continuing to be proactive by offering up the 12th overall selection in the draft to the Jaguars for Pro Bowl cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

No way do I make that trade

You don't make that trade unless you can get an extension done before trade is finalized. I'd hesitate with the 12th pick for sure, but the kid is a heck of a talent. You pretty much forget about his half of the field. 

I wonder how many people who are opposed to this were also opposed to us signing Charles Woodson? I also wonder how many would admit it now that he's going to be going into the HOF. 

BTW, this is his 4th year and I do believe even if we traded for him we could do a 5th year option on him. Love for someone to either confirm or refute that. 

Edited by Golfman

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You don't make that trade unless you can get an extension done before trade is finalized. I'd hesitate with the 12th pick for sure, but the kid is a heck of a talent. You pretty much forget about his half of the field. 

I wonder how many people who are opposed to this were also opposed to us signing Charles Woodson? I also wonder how many would admit it now that he's going to be going into the HOF. 

Apples to oranges. 15 million a year difference and probably 60 million guaranteed. We also didn't give up a pick to sign Woodson

Edited by cannondale

I mean the biggest hangup is that the reason Jacksonville would want to move Ramsey has nothing to do with money or the quality of his play, but because of his personality.  How comfortable can you be trading for a guy who might just be a crazy asshat.  Of course, he might not, but how well can you know the personalities of guys who play on other teams?

• Like 1