2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

The Draft Network

Round 1, Pick No. 8: Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State

When I wrote my first mock draft of the offseason, I remember mocking a player not named Brian Burns to the Detroit Lions at No. 8 overall. To that, I was flooded with comments and suggestions (that's putting it nicely) stating that Burns was the right choice for them.

Three months and one free agency period later, I still believe that to be true. Imagine pairing Burns with the likes of Trey Flowers with Snack Harrison in the middle. That would immediately turn what was a weakness just a few months ago into a full blown strength along tat defensive line in Detroit.

Burns is a true top edge rusher that does not seem to be getting the love he deserves right now. he should be warranting Top 10 projections.

My take:  >:(

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Draft Network

Round 1, Pick No. 8: Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State

When I wrote my first mock draft of the offseason, I remember mocking a player not named Brian Burns to the Detroit Lions at No. 8 overall. To that, I was flooded with comments and suggestions (that's putting it nicely) stating that Burns was the right choice for them.

Three months and one free agency period later, I still believe that to be true. Imagine pairing Burns with the likes of Trey Flowers with Snack Harrison in the middle. That would immediately turn what was a weakness just a few months ago into a full blown strength along tat defensive line in Detroit.

Burns is a true top edge rusher that does not seem to be getting the love he deserves right now. he should be warranting Top 10 projections.

My take:  >:(

Hopefully they take the next Calvin Johnson instead ;)

• Like 1

I would love to trade down from the 12 and grab my number TWO edge with the extra round two pick. This is my best fit for GB. Naturally strong, can lose a few pounds and become a leader this team sorely needs. my edge draft crush.

Really, I cannot overstate how much we need more picks in rounds two through four. This is the deepest draft  I've ever seen. Incredibly deep at DL, edge, TE (with eight that could go first two days), safety and WR (deeper than 2014) -- and Parris Campbell is really growing on me. Chris Simms has also convinced me that this RB class is better than I thought. A lot of RBs who can be three down as well as several nice backups for GB. There is just so much depth that I want two more picks in round two and three where the real value is at. Also I want Chris Lindstrom badly. Give Spriggs one more year.

Edited by JaireAlex

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

I would love to trade down from the 12 and grab my number TWO edge with the extra round two pick. This is my best fit for GB. Naturally strong, can lose a few pounds and become a leader this team sorely needs. my edge draft crush.

Really, I cannot overstate how much we need more picks in rounds two through four. This is the deepest draft  I've ever seen. Incredibly deep at DL, edge, TE (with eight that could go first two days), safety and WR (deeper than 2014) -- and Parris Campbell is really growing on me. Chris Simms has also convinced me that this RB class is better than I thought. A lot of RBs who can be three down as well as several nice backups for GB. There is just so much depth that I want two more picks in round two and three where the real value is at. Also I want Chris Lindstrom badly. Give Spriggs one more year.

Jackson is not a 3-4 EDGE. 4.8 speed, he jumped a 27, that's horrendous, I jumped a 29.5 as a D3 TE. He wasn't overly strong at 22 reps. Mid round 4-3 DE all day long. He doesn't have much in his pass rush arsenal, he's not explosive, length is his best attribute. Doesn't weight enough or have the strength to play inside consistently. Omenihu had a similar profile but at least he showed explosion and power to be acceptable as an interior option.

There's EDGE players I'd be OK with in round 2-3, Banogu, De'Andre Walker, Porter Gustin, Winovich, Bryant all would be decent options. Jackson isn't a 3-4 player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's EDGE players I'd be OK with in round 2-3, Banogu, De'Andre Walker, Porter Gustin, Winovich, Bryant all would be decent options. Jackson isn't a 3-4 player.

He's projected to edge by  many. He can lose a few pounds. That is probably his best spot really.

Obviously he's a better grab in round 3 or 4. Likely there at 75. Just saying, he's way less risk than most the top edge and a better fit. His spot is Za'Darius Smith's role.

Way, way better player than underwear Olympics. We can agree to disagree. He won't be injured and will play ten years as a plus starter. Very safe pick. Gustin is round 5 earliest -- just don't think his body can handle it. Bryant might be the same guy as Jackson.

I'd be ok with Winovich at mid 2.  But Jackson has the better frame imo. Still need to look deeply at Banagu, Bryant, and  Walker. They are at the top of my list to look at next. Anyways I prefer round 2-4 for edge where the much safer picks are.

No doubt at all in my mind that value is at WR, TE, DL, S, and OL at our picks 30-112. There we need to stock up. Not only are starters there but also potential probowlers.

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Damn. Thanks.

I somehow missed Banogu because he's been given the shaft in write ups. Just thought he was a late round flier.

I want nothing at all to do with round one rushers at 12. Give me Banogu in two and Jackson in three. I actually like Banogu much better than Burns, Polite, or Sweat straight up. I'd grab him at 30.  And you're sleeping on what Jackson brings to this team. He is a plus plus lunchpail with a spectacular frame. Kid will be solid for a long time. Sure, he's easy to slot in round four, but because of his total package and what he will bring to GB, I take him in three without blinking.

Move that 12 down. I straight up like many later prospects than what is at 12 with only one exception. But again, I want more picks all day.

I do totally understand why Jackson gets a late grade....and probably is a day three pick. But that kid will bring it every day and has a spot on this team.

But Banogu>> Burns/Polite/Sweat for what we do at edge. Great motor too. Projects much easier imo.

Edited by JaireAlex

19 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Damn. Thanks.

I somehow missed Banogu because he's been given the shaft in write ups. Just thought he was a late round flier.

I want nothing at all to do with round one rushers at 12. Give me Banogu in two and Jackson in three. I actually like Banogu much better than Burns, Polite, or Sweat straight up. I'd grab him at 30.  And you're sleeping on what Jackson brings to this team. He is a plus plus lunchpail with a spectacular frame. Kid will be solid for a long time. Sure, he's easy to slot in round four, but because of his total package and what he will bring to GB, I take him in three without blinking.

Move that 12 down. I straight up like many later prospects than what is at 12 with only one exception. But again, I want more picks all day.

I do totally understand why Jackson gets a late grade....and probably is a day three pick. But that kid will bring it every day and has a spot on this team.

But Banogu>> Burns/Polite/Sweat for what we do at edge. Great motor too. Projects much easier imo.

If I'm taking a plus frame with limited athletic traits I'm taking Omenihu. Longer arms, more power, more explosion, Big 12 OL > ACC, equal production.

I just can't see a scenario where I covet Jackson. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Jackson is not a 3-4 EDGE. 4.8 speed, he jumped a 27, that's horrendous, I jumped a 29.5 as a D3 TE. He wasn't overly strong at 22 reps. Mid round 4-3 DE all day long. He doesn't have much in his pass rush arsenal, he's not explosive, length is his best attribute. Doesn't weight enough or have the strength to play inside consistently. Omenihu had a similar profile but at least he showed explosion and power to be acceptable as an interior option.

Below-average athlete as 3-4 SAM backer whose effort and determination have allowed him to post consistent production on the college level. Gustin's lack of juice or complexity as rusher could limit his upside. However, his size and ability to dig in and fight against the run could help his chances of becoming a backup who might have to keep fighting for his spot.

I really don't see Gustin as that much better of an option at all. Not that I am advocating Jackson, but he and Gustin are both 6-FA guys all day to me and will probably be drafted as such.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Banogu's highlights look pretty good. Guessing he's just pretty inconsistent or has pretty bad lowlights?

Apparently not good at setting the edge and uses the same pass rush move over and over.