2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Simmons could be our pick at 12. Background + Medical = Wildcard to predict. If we are happy with both those situations you probably think a few other teams are too, and 12 is a nice spot to get him fully healthy.

To answer your comment more accurately......
I dont think GB will select Simmons because of the background issues alone. Although I've advocated for GB to take chances on perceived "character issue" players in the past - they've not taken me up on any of the opportunities. Rather, Gute has spoken somewhat openly about "character matters" - so football talent not with standing, I''d be really (really) surprised if he's on our board.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The more I think about it, the more I think my personal top 5 board for GB is:

Q. Williams

J. Taylor

E. Oliver

H. Butler

M. Sweat

Stop thinking about it.....until of course Burns returns to your thoughts :)

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously there's no Joe Thomas in this class, but is there even really a second tier guy?

I'll definitely defer to others with regards to OL evaluation, but I'm not sure this class is really that much worse (or better) than any other OL class.  Since 2014, the worst OT class I saw was 2017.  Since 2014, the guys I'd have definitively higher grades on anyone in this class would include: Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Laremy Tunsil, and Ronnie Stanley.  I think you could make an argument that guys like Dillard, Williams, Taylor, etc. could be in the mix with just about any of those OTs I didn't name.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll definitely defer to others with regards to OL evaluation, but I'm not sure this class is really that much worse (or better) than any other OL class.  Since 2014, the worst OT class I saw was 2017.  Since 2014, the guys I'd have definitively higher grades on anyone in this class would include: Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Laremy Tunsil, and Ronnie Stanley.  I think you could make an argument that guys like Dillard, Williams, Taylor, etc. could be in the mix with just about any of those OTs I didn't name.

What a class. What a train wreck. 

This class is definitely below average in my book, but there are weaker positions. 

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think Matthews and Tunsil (Minus having Finley brain) were clearly above anybody in this class.

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

do you have Taylor as a top 10 guy this year?

Taylor is getting docked and taken off boards on meds per Pauline. He already was considered by many teams second to Dillard.

If I want OT for GB, I'm looking at Scharping next. I doubt Dillard is there and in the rest of Round one, I don't have another GB tackle. So, it's focus on edge / DL or move down. Pretty easy in this draft. But it is pretty likely an edge or DL that's worth a 12 to Gute will be there.

Had to do another one today.......

12 - Andre Dillard, OT  (Both Burns and Oliver were taken.....)
30 - Noah Fant, TE (Got our future stud TE.....)
44 - Nasir Adderley, S (Yes! My FS of choice was still there.....)
75 - Jace Sternberger, TE (A bit of a change up here.....a second move/pass catching TE)

I really wish these mock draft sites had more accurate projections. I could do them all day but all of them end up being crappy. My last one:

12: R1P12
DL QUINNEN WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
30: R1P30
OT ANDRE DILLARD
WASHINGTON ST.
44: R2P12
S NASIR ADDERLEY
DELAWARE
75: R3P11
WR ANDY ISABELLA
MASSACHUSETTS