2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

We also have Bulaga, Spriggs, and Billy Turner who are all candidates for that spot. It had better be a hell of a value to take an OT especially at 12

IMO none of those 3 will be RT for us in 2020. Turner has an outside shot - and would be great if he could, but all signs point to G and RT in a pinch

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:
15 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

We also have Bulaga, Spriggs, and Billy Turner who are all candidates for that spot. It had better be a hell of a value to take an OT especially at 12

IMO none of those 3 will be RT for us in 2020. Turner has an outside shot - and would be great if he could, but all signs point to G and RT in a pinch

I agree with the bolded. I also think that we have the luxury to wait a year to go after a RT, or try for one in a later round this year. I think Spriggs has a shot this year to win the job for 2020, at a rate lower than an average starting RT. If that doesn't work out, we have a healthy stable of guards that could take RG while Turner slides out (for a year or extended), or we find someone else.

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I agree with the bolded. I also think that we have the luxury to wait a year to go after a RT, or try for one in a later round this year. I think Spriggs has a shot this year to win the job for 2020, at a rate lower than an average starting RT. If that doesn't work out, we have a healthy stable of guards that could take RG while Turner slides out (for a year or extended), or we find someone else.

Seriously, best case scenario is that Spriggs takes another step and the Packers feel comfortable signing him to moderate-sized in-season extension before the rest of the league figures out what they have. 

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If need be, RT is a place where we could wait if we had to, but then you're up against it. Obviously the issue is this years draft happens before we find out if Spriggs turns the corner. I had high hopes. They have obviously faded

1 minute ago, cannondale said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If need be, RT is a place where we could wait if we had to, but then you're up against it. Obviously the issue is this years draft happens before we find out if Spriggs turns the corner

I would argue that we started to see him turn the corner last year, but he's just had so few snaps. I am a proponent of RT being as important as LT in this day and age, and I think we have a solid OL depth wise. I'm not sure I want to spend one of our two picks this year on an OT who isn't great value, is all. I would like to see serious rookie contract impact from these guys considering where we are as an organization, and that includes year 1.

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Seriously, best case scenario is that Spriggs takes another step and the Packers feel comfortable signing him to moderate-sized in-season extension before the rest of the league figures out what they have. 

Yupp. and if he doesn't, the option could be there to extend Bulaga for a year if he still plays at a high level, and there could be someone we draft this year in the mid rounds that works out. Or, worst case, we have to move Turner or draft a rookie next year. But I for one would be ok with taking the risk considering the other spots we need to upgrade

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I would argue that we started to see him turn the corner last year, but he's just had so few snaps. I am a proponent of RT being as important as LT in this day and age, and I think we have a solid OL depth wise. I'm not sure I want to spend one of our two picks this year on an OT who isn't great value, is all. I would like to see serious rookie contract impact from these guys considering where we are as an organization, and that includes year 1.

Not gonna argue with any of that. The Spriggs situation is a tough one. If we are lucky, Bulaga stays healthy, but then we can't see how Spriggs does. Gonna have to trust the coaches on that I guess

Just now, JBURGE said:

Yupp. and if he doesn't, the option could be there to extend Bulaga for a year if he still plays at a high level, and there could be someone we draft this year in the mid rounds that works out. Or, worst case, we have to move Turner or draft a rookie next year. But I for one would be ok with taking the risk considering the other spots we need to upgrade

Serious question. What agent in his right mind is going to let his 29 year old tackle sign a 1 year extension coming off a good year. IMO, nobody gets that kind of hometown discount. 

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I literally have nothing else to say, but that I agree with you 100% here. 

Give yourself multiple outs here: 

1) Spriggs takes another jump and secures RT (way more realistic than some believe IMHO). 

2) Draft a mid-late round Tackle --> Such as Scharping or Hyatt etc. and they lock down RT. 

3) See what Pankey and Light can do with another year under their belts (I feel both are more capable than many believe) 

4) Re-sign Bulaga 

5) Kick Turner out to RT (wouldn't be the worst, but should definitely be last resort IMHO)

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Serious question. What agent in his right mind is going to let his 29 year old tackle sign a 1 year extension coming off a good year. IMO, nobody gets that kind of hometown discount. 

Good point, except that next offseason he will be 31 a week after FA opens, and he has played 19 games in the last 2 seasons. So if he plays well this year but misses some time, I would be surprised if he got more than a 1 or 2 year deal. 

Just now, Cadmus said:
6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I literally have nothing else to say, but that I agree with you 100% here. 

You've been buttering me up the last few days on here. I hope you're not expecting anything when I come to GB this year

You've been buttering me up the last few days on here. I hope you're not expecting anything when I come to GB this year

As many cheese curds as I can eat. 

"Dude-- I've had mozzarella sticks before-- basically the same thing?" 

I've never seen someone so skeptical about anything in my whole life. 

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Good point, except that next offseason he will be 31 a week after FA opens, and he has played 19 games in the last 2 seasons. So if he plays well this year but misses some time, I would be surprised if he got more than a 1 or 2 year deal. 

Correct on the age, my mistake and that makes it all the more imperative his not settle for a 1 year deal. That will surely be his last chance to cash in and he cannot settle for a 1 year deal coming off, your original point, a very good campaign. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Correct on the age, my mistake and that makes it all the more imperative his not settle for a 1 year deal. That will surely be his last chance to cash in and he cannot settle for a 1 year deal coming off, your original point, a very good campaign. 

I mean... he could also have an excellent campaign where he plays like 12+ games and I'd (personally) still want him back if we could get him on a short-term deal at a decent rate assuming the injury he suffers/ reason he misses time isn't too significant.. It all depends on what are other tackles show they can do. 

My hope is that Spriggs runs away with it. That'd be ideal. 

Archived