2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

I love when scouts say stuff that just directly contradicts the objective information we have. Calling Hakeem Butler slow, when he posted a 78th percentile 40 yard dash and even a 59th percentile 10-yard split amongst all WRs is just hilarious. Scouts can be so bad sometimes.

can say anything when you're anonymous and have an agenda

I would get so much enjoyment mixing real information and trash info to reporters if I was a scout...

25 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

With something like this, or at least what Hurst had this is less a "value" thing and more of an "ethics" thing.  Like "are we going to be able to live with ourselves if this guy just drops dead on the field a la Hank Gathers?"  Unless your doctors can assure you that absolutely will not happen barring a freak accident, there are teams that are just going to pass on drafting you at any point.  Like a person's life is worth more than any amount of "draft value".

I understand where you're coming from, but...

Hate to say it, but If you're wholeheartedly concerned about these guys health and well-being, you're watching the wrong sport.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. Good post. I'm also focused on ADD/CGJ - but admit part of my narrow focus is I've not researched the breadth of the talent pool.
@ChaRisMa had good thoughts about Savage and feels he could handle single high FS if so tasked. Rapp is a good football player no doubt - but he has a more Box Safety feel to him IMO.  Agree with your breakdown ADD vs CGJ and I would also prefer ADD - but - I like that CGJ had a more challenging college career at UF (SEC) than Delaware (FCS). On film CGJ looks bigger (to me at least.....) but the spreadsheet says they're almost clones of each other. ADD looks faster - so the differences are subtle.

Love the safety talk.

I'll add this.  Agree that Adderly looks faster than CGJ.  But I'd say that in a straight line, he's faster.  I thought that CGJ was quicker to recognize things and much quicker to react.  He just moved at a different speed than anyone else on the field when the ball was in the air.  That's why I like him just a bit more than Adderly.  And Hooker seems to have those instincts, too.  He's just not the athlete that the other two are.

Rapp.  When I watched him, I thought I'd see him in the box all the time.  And while he makes his splash plays there, he played a pretty darned good centerfield safety.  I don't get his Pro-Day at all.  He didn't look like a 4.7 kid out there.

I know darned little about Savage besides seeing his testing results.  Same for Thornhill.  Thornhill, though, intrigues me because he played corner and he has some nice size.  He's gotta be a "plus" if he needs to man cover a TE or a slot.  Unsure about him in centerfield.  But as I said, I can get sold on him.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I understand where you're coming from, but...

Hate to say it, but If you're wholeheartedly concerned about these guys health and well-being, you're watching the wrong sport.

There's a difference between dementia behind the scenes and this guys heart just exploded on national TV.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I know darned little about Savage besides seeing his testing results.  Same for Thornhill.  Thornhill, though, intrigues me because he played corner and he has some nice size.  He's gotta be a "plus" if he needs to man cover a TE or a slot.  Unsure about him in centerfield.  But as I said, I can get sold on him.

Definitely go watch Savage.

12 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Definitely go watch Savage.

TDN takes on Savage:

BEST TRAIT - Tackling
WORST TRAIT - Deep Zone Coverage
RED FLAGS - None

A four-year starter for the Terps, Savage features a versatile skill set with an outstanding athletic profile. Not only is Savage a physical defender in pursuit and when tackling, but he’s sticky in coverage with excellent ball skills. He takes precise angles to the football, has outstanding range and is a clean processor overall. Savage profiles as an eventual starter that is maximized defending split zone while providing a tone-setting presence to the secondary. Round Grade - Second Round Value

BEST TRAIT - Tackling
WORST TRAIT - Coverage Spacing
RED FLAGS - None

Darnell Savage projects favorably as a Cover 2 safety in the NFL. Savage has the needed athletic skills to be a starting defender in the NFL, although he'll need to be protected from his own aggressive mentality and learn some tackles don't need to be made. Early role should feature a ton of special teams and being implemented in sub-packages. Higher ceiling prospect in a thin Safety group, Savage possesses all the tools needed to be an eventual starter and play at a high level.

BEST TRAIT - Click-and-Close
WORST TRAIT - Discipline
RED FLAGS - None

Savage’s peak plays are as good as any safety’s in the class, featuring instincts in underneath coverage and ball skills that are truly exceptional to watch. “Playmaker” is a great way to describe Savage, but with that comes a penchant for gambling and some blown coverages as well. Savage wins more than he loses, and his man coverage skills are amongst the best at his position in the class, but he has to improve his eye discipline and zone spacing in order to reach his peak in the NFL.

I wish Savage was a better tackler with more consistent hitting power, but he does fly around and creates some negative plays due to his range and closing burst on the ball. If you’re drafting him, you need to be aware of his sometimes undisciplined playing style and rough edges, but Savage has athletic traits and man coverage skills that are valuable in today’s NFL. At minimum he’s a quality no. 3 safety that gives a defense important flexibility, but more likely Savage becomes a starting strong safety who will need to maintain his splash plays to be as impactful in the NFL as he was in college. Round Grade: Mid Day 2

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I know darned little about Savage besides seeing his testing results.  

Allowed a 36 passer rating this past season, has 7 interceptions to 0 TDs given up the past two seasons, and 25 defensive stops (PFF calls these stopping a run play before it gets certain amount of yardage based on down and distance) this past season. He's a fun prospect to watch.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Being paralyzed on national TV is a good look? Breaking your limbs/joints in half? 

As a viewing public.....there's a range of what we'll accept or not.

Somebody dying on TV is definitely a no-no - but its happened. Broken limbs? Almost (but not quite) becoming passe.....
Combine broken limbs and death......and you'll have something that happens on horse race tracks across the country.....multiple times. - but of course, because its a horse..........................................................................

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

So, like, head/neck trauma is a thing that we can (and have) been working to mitigate if not eliminate.  Whether it's through better helmets, or basically banning the kickoff, or whatever... these sorts of injuries (and like broken legs) happens when something goes wrong or at least "not the way it is intended to."  I see this as a wholly different kettle of fish than "your heart exploded because you ran real hard" because the second part of that is a thing that is supposed to happen in football.

So I don't want any part of a guy who stands a significant chance of death when everything outside of his body is operating within acceptable parameters.

39 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Allowed a 36 passer rating this past season, has 7 interceptions to 0 TDs given up the past two seasons, and 25 defensive stops (PFF calls these stopping a run play before it gets certain amount of yardage based on down and distance) this past season. He's a fun prospect to watch.

hm, will watch. like those stats

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

Pick the "rumor" you choose to believe. I think the "experts" have pretty much covered all the bases. I still believe no one know anything, but that doesn't get you clicks, so they are all guessing. Still the best hint (based on TT) IMO is to look at a year from now for expiring contracts / needs and go from there. There are many to choose from. That and the obvious need at safety for this season. 

Yes , I see Martinez. And Kenny Clark coming to fifth year option time. And Mike Daniels contract expiring. Bulaga. Clark will get big money soon or he's going to cost much more later.   If he plays out his fifth year and hits the FA market he could slip away. I doubt Daniels is resigned. That's why I've been thinking we will see someone drafted. DL are hard to find and FAs are high priced.

Archived