2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Dante Fowler would be a real nice add if we could get him in FA.  Pass rushers usually need a year or two to develop.  I'd prefer we land a FA to provide impact next year.  This would also free us up to go BPA.  We will no doubt draft at least one OLB with one of those 1st rounders.  Think we are OK at OT at the moment.  We need interior help.  G.  We could add a DT high up but depends on if we can re up big MO.  We will need a S.  Again would prefer a vet in FA.  Seems they are coming cheaper these days.  Ha Ha hasn't played inspired ball and I am not sure he'll be back next year.  If I was GM I'd try to add an OLB and S in FA.  As for the draft adhere to BPA.  Needs OLB, ILB, S on D.  Offense G, TE, WR, RB.  We have now locked up Rodgers for the next 6 seasons.  Think grabbing a QB up high now isn't going to happen. Fortunately for us value and need should match up nicely next year.  

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Considering that Spriggs should have flashed starter potential by now, but hasn't, and there is basically no one else .......absolutely

But he has been behind one of the biggest draft steals of the last decade and a first rounder that was (at least at one point) the youngest player to start in a Super Bowl.  What kind of investment are we going to have to make that will supplant either Bakhtiari or Bulaga? Are you just done with Bulaga and Spriggs? I would plan on re-signing the 31 year old Bulaga in 2020 unless he asks for the moon, or retires, in which case then we invest in the RT.  We have 3 top 64 picks next draft.  Drafting a tackle in the first two rounds gives us 1 healthy scratch for all of next season.  

Now all bets are off when we see what picks we have and what players are available.  If the right player is available at any position, take him.  I don't think we need to have a full second string OL.

• Like 1

What do you guys think of this for pass rushers next year:

Perry

Gilbert

[First Round Pick]

[FA/Matthews]

Donnerson/Fackrell/[UDFA or Late Draftee]

Do we need to add more? Should we trade both of our firsts to get a top 5 guy and forgo the FA spot? Just grab a FA and not put a priority on drafting one?

42 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But he has been behind one of the biggest draft steals of the last decade and a first rounder that was (at least at one point) the youngest player to start in a Super Bowl.  What kind of investment are we going to have to make that will supplant either Bakhtiari or Bulaga? Are you just done with Bulaga and Spriggs? I would plan on re-signing the 31 year old Bulaga in 2020 unless he asks for the moon, or retires, in which case then we invest in the RT.  We have 3 top 64 picks next draft.  Drafting a tackle in the first two rounds gives us 1 healthy scratch for all of next season.  

Now all bets are off when we see what picks we have and what players are available.  If the right player is available at any position, take him.  I don't think we need to have a full second string OL.

The Packers asked Bulaga to take a paycut. Not exactly a vote of confidence. I'm not done with Spriggs but I'm not sure I'm willing to bet Rodgers' health on it. And even if Spriggs can pull off right tackle, who backs up he and Bahk ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Perry

Gilbert

[First Round Pick]

[FA/Matthews]

Do we need to add more? Should we trade both of our firsts to get a top 5 guy and forgo the FA spot? Just grab a FA and not put a priority on drafting one?

I'd still probably want a swing with a 3rd or later to add to the room, I wouldn't be too worried though if Gilbert is who the organization thinks he is.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Perry

Gilbert

[First Round Pick]

[FA/Matthews]

I think we need a FA EDGE. Can't waste another year or two of Rodgers prime waiting for them to develop. I'd say sign a good FA EDGE and then draft one or two high. Move on from Fack.

Could be a chance we need the Aints the tank on their first rounder because its so hard to get them late at our pick #32 ;)

Edited by Arthur Penske

To get a FA Edge we would probably have to trade for him.  Those guys (who are worth it) rarely see free agency.

There are a lot of DL-Edge prospects in the upcoming draft, but do the DLs come off first? 

Interior pressure is trending as more important than edge. With the quicker routes and three step drops is Oliver (U of Houston) more valuable than Nick Bosa?  What if Devon White (LSU) is staring at us with our first pick?  I'm hoping we get a combo of DL and OLB/Edge in the first round and follow that up with the best/insitinctive Safety/LB/CB available.  Yes, I know that's defensive heavy, but that's the strength of the draft AND our biggest need.

Why haven't we seen any of M Adams?  Thought for sure on the hot/muggy Sunday we would have gotten some snaps from him.

1 minute ago, TransientTexan said:

He's listed w/ 6 snaps. There are only so DL many snaps to go around w/ the addition of Wilk. 

Indeed, but both Pettine and the DL coach talked about the immense value in rotation of the BIG GUYS. If they are playing more DL per snap than in the past - it would seem that there's a larger role for Montravious Adams than 6 snaps

On the other hand, he's really just a rookie. An advanced rookie, but a rookie just the same after missing all of TC and most of the 2017 season

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed, but both Pettine and the DL coach talked about the immense value in rotation of the BIG GUYS. If they are playing more DL per snap than in the past - it would seem that there's a larger role for Montravious Adams than 6 snaps

On the other hand, he's really just a rookie. An advanced rookie, but a rookie just the same after missing all of TC and most of the 2017 season

But without them committing to numbers, how much do vague statements like these really mean? Even if they have this commitment, it doesn't mean the previous coaching staff didn't have the same commitment. 

They're playing some more DL this year, but not significantly more. So far they're averaging 2.24DL per snap vs. 2.13 last year. So maybe 7-8 more DL snaps per game. Which is wiped out by the 40+ snaps/gm Wilk is taking from the pool. Not sure Adams has earned snaps over Lowry yet, and Lowry's had his snaps cut in half. 

24 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

But without them committing to numbers, how much do vague statements like these really mean?

Thanks for the snap counts, greatly appreciated

I don't have that presser handy, but Pettine said it and then DL coach Jerry Montgomery paraphrased it in his response

" Cut their snaps in half and see how they do"    So that offers us a hint

That hasn't happened yet and we can speculate on the reasons. Its a new defense and they all need time to come together, the opponents dictated the match-ups or sub patterns, Adams isn't ready yet. Lots of reasons. And just because it hasn't happened yet - doesn't mean its not their philosophy or plans for the rest of the season. Looking forward to seeing it all unfold and I hope Adams forces his way onto the field

Eagles like to sub their DL early and often, its a key part of their strategy to keep them fresh - and here's their snap counts from week 2. Using a 6 man rotation
That's kinda where I'd see GB going IF they are gonna be consistent with their comments and IF they believe they have the horses to do it

Eagles Defensive line

• 46 snaps: Fletcher Cox
• 39 snaps: Brandon Graham

• 36 snaps: Haloti Ngata
• 35 snaps: Derek Barnett

• 25 snaps: Chris Long
• 24 snaps: Michael Bennett

• 23 snaps: Destiny Vaeao

In the first two games:
Clark played 59, 61 snaps
Wilk played 48, 55 snaps
Daniels 38, 51 snaps

I think the goal is for these DL guys to be in the high 30's- low 40's from a stamina point of view

37 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In the first two games:

Clark played 59, 61 snaps
Wilk played 48, 55 snaps
Daniels 38, 51 snaps

I think the goal is for these DL guys to be in the high 30's- low 40's from a stamina point of view

So then why is Clark playing 60 snaps per game? Is it because we don't think Wilk can slide over to 1-tech?

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think we need a FA EDGE. Can't waste another year or two of Rodgers prime waiting for them to develop. I'd say sign a good FA EDGE and then draft one or two high. Move on from Fack.

Could be a chance we need the Aints the tank on their first rounder because its so hard to get them late at our pick #32 ;)

The Aints defense has been abysmal so far and their offense isn't doing much better. I'd like to give our EDGE guys until just after the bye to make a call on them, but I'm done with Fackrell. I was fortunate enough to actually be at the Bears and judging from what I literally saw before my eyes and then what I saw from him this past suggests that his field vision is just all over the place. A deep EDGE draft makes him expendable. Same thing with everyone else in that room except for Perry and Donnerson. I hate to say it, but put CMIII inside or let him walk.

15 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I've said this before ...

We have just given Rodgers the biggest contract in the NFL so we live and die on his play and health. There is no contingency when you put that much money into the QB. Its pretty clear he can't take the hits any more - that's not a criticism, most players are done by his age. He has to be protected as number 1 priority - a decent line is no longer good enough. Most holes you can work around or scheme out of,  but if pass rushers are consistently getting to Rodgers, he will get injured again and the season is gone.

Bulaga is a good player still but his injury history is terrible and if you are relying on him at 31 to last the season then you deserve everything you get if he goes down and his replacement leads to Rodgers going off in a cart. Outside of Bakhtieri it seems we have gradually been downgrading the O Line every year which has to stop. I'm assuming at this point Spriggs isn't good enough if he is suddenly the new Joe Thomas then great its not an issue in the same way Safety isn't an issue if Whitehead becomes Earl Thomas. All things equal and assume there were players available I would go

1. OT

1. OLB

2. WR   (this is assuming Cobb has left and one of the rookies hasn't broken through)

3. Safety

And then whatever although we should get back to drafting OL once a year in the 4th or 5th which is where we have built depth. I'd also be looking if possible for a good free agent OG to compete with McCray and hopefully let McCray go back to being a super-backup as well as a decent OLB free agent signing as well. Obviously its all projections - our depth could look completely different come next spring.