Throw Up The X - Bryant 2017 Predictions

D82

If Zeke's suspension holds up, I actually think that he'll be used more as a decoy than a real threat. I think it'll be dink and dunk underneath to Beasley and safety valve use with Witten. I'm not complaining about it, but I think they'll have far more one-on-one matchups than Dez will.

That is just smart defensive playcalling, plan9. If the team is without a homerun hitter at RB, and the biggest threat lies in a WR, your make sure that guy can't beat you. Which in turn allows Beasley, Switzer (MArk my words - he is going to be a gamebreaking factor on this offense in at least 3 or 4 games), Witten and to some extent Rico and williams to find their holes, beat their man, and collect their fair share of targets. 

Bryant is one of those under AND overrated players.

Some people peg him as one of the top most tier of player. Others vastly undervalue him. He is more  towards the top, but not as high as most Dez-lovers say and not as low as others say. He will beat you on any given play, can out muscle and outfight even the best of DBs for a jump ball, can outrun the majority of defenders, and is one hell of a playmaker. But he struggles to beat double and press, his route running at times is top notch then becomes abysmal (inconsistent), and he has far too many drops for my liking. He is perfect for this system, and a passionate player who would rather claw your eyes out than give you a chance for an INT, and he's one of my favorite players on the team for that. But he's not going to be one of those 90/100 catch guys that just does it all. That was never him. We tried to make him that. The role we've played him at in 2014 was PERFECT for him, that ironic 88 catch season. And even then he caught more than he probably should have due to Williams' disappearing acts. Now with Beasley firmly entrenched in the slot, likely even fewer targets and catches.

I was at the Dallas at Giants game last year. And what bugged me the most on my ride home with two Giants fans was this:

Both OBJ and Dez had 3 long ball chances to win the game. OBJ dropped/lost 2. Dez dropped/lost 3. OBJ scored on the final one that secured their victory. I wanted that to be Dez, so badly. But that is the difference between that top tier WR and that "next small group behind them." That is where Dez lay.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived