GDT Week 3: DEN @ BAL

Broncofan

(link above to 1st and 2nd Quarter Notes)

3rd Quarter Notes

-          Love the attitude on the 1st run of the half. Ron Leary blocks his 2nd level LB completely out of the screen. Goes for 10

-          I also love our alignment on the next play. Out of a 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB the Ravens match us with their base 3-4 personnel; you can see the alignment below. Based on how the Ravens have lined up, it’s clear that Case sees Sanders in the slot as the favourable read. He’s either got a LB in man coverage, a Safety in man coverage that is 20 yards away or he’s got great chance to find a quick, easy, soft part in the zone. Turns out it is the latter, and Sanders is wide open for what would’ve been an easy 10 yard gain. The pass got batted at the LOS, though. If we are nitpicking then Case is at fault for this. He (needlessly) takes a couple of quick steps towards his target, thus reducing the gap between the rushing DE and him. Still – I am hoping we gave this alignment another go

t5jrOh.jpg

i4wVi3.jpg

-          Case then short hops a ball to a wide open Sanders for what would’ve been 3rd and 2/3. Instead, it’s 3rd and 10

-          And on the resulting play, Case is back peddling out of the pocket from a 5 man pressure rather than stepping. It’s not perfect, but you can see a nice bit of space for him to step into and he just keeps moving backwards. Had he stepped up in rhythm with the play, he’s got a wide open DT 20 yards downfield. He eventually gets whacked whilst throwing, but that is on him and not the OL
WgWgg4.jpg

RVH0Yi.jpg

-          Gotsis got out of his gap for the long Collins run (20 yards) on the 1st play of the half for the Ravens O. Gotsis went with the outside swim move, but I can’t blame him for playing it as pass first – the Ravens did nothing in the run game all 1st half but killed us through the air on 1st down. First bad run read from Josey Jewell too

-          We got to Cover 2, man under on 3rd and 5 with the two Safeties 20 yards off the LOS. CHJ follows Snead in motion, with Parks lined up over Moore (a WR). When the WR’s cross, Parks switches off but CHJ stays on, leaving Moore wide open. Not a clue why Flacco doesn’t pull the trigger. The play breaks down, but Moore is never covered and Flacco misses him high whilst on the move. Offside on Wolfe gifts a 1st down …

-          LOVE the run read by Jewell again. Shoots the gap on the zone run, stops it for no gain. Team effort from Davis, Kerr and Barrett to seal the edge

-          Roby trailing Brown on a crossing route, misses his diving effort to deflect the pass and what would’ve been a 7 yard gain becomes a 15 yard one for a 1st down. A game to forget for Roby thus far

-          The ball is coming out so quick. Really negating anything we can do from an edge rushing perspective

-          This isn’t a push off on Snead, apparently (top left) … Jesus wept

57xhxm.jpg

-          Ravens running a fair bit of 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB sets now. We’re matching it with a 3-4 and 3 Safeties (Simmons and Stewart in the box). I like it – don’t need any more big bodies in there because we’re holding up fine against the run

-          He runs rather ugly, but Jewell was running near enough stride for stride with the TE on that PBU he had. Not quick enough to get his head around, but what ILB can do that vs a TE?

-          That 30 yard pass down the seam by Flacco to his TE is elite stuff. You can’t stop that. Parks has great coverage, and Stewart is splitting the 3 deep routes as he should be – it’s just an amazing throw

-          Another HB counter, with Butt coming back under the formation. Goes for 9 yards, perfectly blocked. Actually feel Freeman could’ve gotten another 4-5 yards out of it if he straightened up sooner, but it’s still a lovely gain on 1st down

-          First sign of a naked bootleg, and it’s to Keenum’s left. Love it; throwback to the Shanahan era. Easy 8 yards

-          Less said about the jump pass, the better. He came off Sanders just as he was betting behind the CB and between the Safety in a Cover 2

-          The Bolles hold on the 50 yard throw to DT is an absolute killer. Case has such a clean pocket in front of him; Bolles could’ve just totally let go and the play would’ve still been made

-          Another poor hold a couple of plays later by McGovern. This team isn’t built to play from 2nd and 16

-          Poor location on the 3rd and short throw to Sanders. Not much separation so it had to be a good one, but case threw it a bit behind and it was broken up. Surprised he didn’t look to the trips to the right of our formation. Man coverage, trips is normally likely to leave someone open as it’s so difficult to weave through the traffic as a DB. We had DT wide open for an easy 1st down had Case looked that way

DKHMi3.jpg

-          Roby beaten for an easy 9 yard out route to get the Ravens out from inside their 5 yard line. Plays off coverage, goes instantly into full back paddle against Brown who simply breaks it off, and Flacco delivers on time and in stride

11 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

thanks for the time and effort lomax

Once again it looks like this team was not prepared for the game and seem to be making it up as they go along.

And what's disturbing...the focus was on signing a PS punter.   King had an awful day, but we know what he normally is capable of.  The message of course, was that performance matters. 

If that was the case, we'd have signed a PS HC.

(link above to the first 3 Quarters)

4th Quarter Notes

-          Booker managed to turn this perfectly blocked run into a 1 yard gain after he tried making two cuts for no reason, and stumbled into the back of McGovern. Such a poor runner of the ball

P5Fqmz.jpg

-          Bolles is smoked on an inside move by Smith. Case does really well to rollout and turn the play into a 10 yard gain with a check down to Booker

-          Andddddddddddd again, another poor read from Booker. The no huddle has got the Ravens D totally gassed at this point; they can barely even lineup. It’s a shotgun snap with a quick handoff to Booker. His initial read is Paradis and McGovern at RG as that is the angle he’s moving to receive the handoff. WHY is he trying to jump cut to the left when he’s got a perfect hole off to the right of Paradis, i.e where his initial read is? He trips over Bolles when cutting, 1 yard gain

5GvBd5.jpg

-          Big completion to Sutton is on Carr. Clearly targeted  Carr this game, and we’ve had joy out of him

-          Bolles beaten again on an inside move, this time called for holding. Turns 2nd and 6 at the 6 to 2nd and 16. Awful

-          Next play is Case’s pick. Ron Leary gets bull rushed right into Case’s lap. With the DT having inside leverage on Leary, Case would’ve loved to step left by Bolles has been forced back to within a couple of feet of Case. It’s a bad pick, but he had nowhere to go with the football and a sack would’ve killed us too (down 2 scores). The play never had a chance with that blocking

-          Man, Bradley Chubb is violent in the run game. The Ravens try blocking him with Willie Snead on the ‘trap’ (Jet Sweep motion) and a pulling Guard. Chubb beasts the pair of them and gets his hands on the RB. Doesn’t make the tackle, but stops the RB long enough for our guys to mop it up

-          I’ve got to give this D credit for continuing to fight. A play after Von went offside to make it 3rd and 8, we see probably the best Defensive snap of the game for us. The first picture below is before the snap, and the 2nd picture is 2 seconds after the snap. We managed to cover trips to the left with only one CB lined up over the trips presnap. Look at the ground Justin Simmons covers to go from being at the LOS to being the deep Safety just 2 seconds later. Flacco can’t read it, and eventually tries to hit Crabtree underneath. Incomplete

0RCiYR.jpg

e4F4y1.jpg

-          Bolles lucky to get away with a hold/block in the back on our next drive. Case escapes the pressure from Bolles’ side

-          The McGovern hold was a weak call, for me

-          Why are we running the ball down 13 with 4 minutes to go …….. Twice in a row, no gain on either, 1 minute off the clock then 12 men in the huddle. Pathetic

-          Ravens go cover 0 on 4th down. Not sure if it’s the play designs fault, QBs fault, or Receivers fault, but nobody checks off their route for a quick slant and nobody is even looking for the football when Case has to throw it

7nFcpq.jpg

Positives

* Options from Ace Personnel (2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB)
* Defense in the run game
* Josey Jewell in our base 3-4 
* OL play in the running game on the road

Negatives

* Execution on Offense in vital spots
* The need to use Booker in any facet of this team
* Play of Secondary, in particular Bradley Roby when the game was still within reach
* Scheming on Defense (or lack thereof)
* Discipline as a team
* Marquette King
* Play of Garrett Bolles when the tide of the game turned against us

I don't think we were as bad as I thought when I watched the game, but I guess that was due to the fact the 2nd half was rather bad and that is what tends to stick in the brain.

We just need to tidy up the execution and we should be in most games against the level of opponent the Ravens are. However, the Chiefs aren't at that level on Offense - they are obviously far superior.

No ones made GDT yet?  If I get some time tomorrow I’ll throw a quick one together.

Oddly, I think this is a winnable game.  The Chiefs offense is ridiculous and they’ll score on Denver, but their defense is incredibly shaky.  It’s a game I could see Denver getting blown out in or winning it by a slim margin.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:51 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

(link above to 1st and 2nd Quarter Notes)

3rd Quarter Notes

-          Love the attitude on the 1st run of the half. Ron Leary blocks his 2nd level LB completely out of the screen. Goes for 10

-          I also love our alignment on the next play. Out of a 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB the Ravens match us with their base 3-4 personnel; you can see the alignment below. Based on how the Ravens have lined up, it’s clear that Case sees Sanders in the slot as the favourable read. He’s either got a LB in man coverage, a Safety in man coverage that is 20 yards away or he’s got great chance to find a quick, easy, soft part in the zone. Turns out it is the latter, and Sanders is wide open for what would’ve been an easy 10 yard gain. The pass got batted at the LOS, though. If we are nitpicking then Case is at fault for this. He (needlessly) takes a couple of quick steps towards his target, thus reducing the gap between the rushing DE and him. Still – I am hoping we gave this alignment another go

t5jrOh.jpg

i4wVi3.jpg

-          Case then short hops a ball to a wide open Sanders for what would’ve been 3rd and 2/3. Instead, it’s 3rd and 10

-          And on the resulting play, Case is back peddling out of the pocket from a 5 man pressure rather than stepping. It’s not perfect, but you can see a nice bit of space for him to step into and he just keeps moving backwards. Had he stepped up in rhythm with the play, he’s got a wide open DT 20 yards downfield. He eventually gets whacked whilst throwing, but that is on him and not the OL
WgWgg4.jpg

RVH0Yi.jpg

-          Gotsis got out of his gap for the long Collins run (20 yards) on the 1st play of the half for the Ravens O. Gotsis went with the outside swim move, but I can’t blame him for playing it as pass first – the Ravens did nothing in the run game all 1st half but killed us through the air on 1st down. First bad run read from Josey Jewell too

-          We got to Cover 2, man under on 3rd and 5 with the two Safeties 20 yards off the LOS. CHJ follows Snead in motion, with Parks lined up over Moore (a WR). When the WR’s cross, Parks switches off but CHJ stays on, leaving Moore wide open. Not a clue why Flacco doesn’t pull the trigger. The play breaks down, but Moore is never covered and Flacco misses him high whilst on the move. Offside on Wolfe gifts a 1st down …

-          LOVE the run read by Jewell again. Shoots the gap on the zone run, stops it for no gain. Team effort from Davis, Kerr and Barrett to seal the edge

-          Roby trailing Brown on a crossing route, misses his diving effort to deflect the pass and what would’ve been a 7 yard gain becomes a 15 yard one for a 1st down. A game to forget for Roby thus far

-          The ball is coming out so quick. Really negating anything we can do from an edge rushing perspective

-          This isn’t a push off on Snead, apparently (top left) … Jesus wept

57xhxm.jpg

-          Ravens running a fair bit of 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB sets now. We’re matching it with a 3-4 and 3 Safeties (Simmons and Stewart in the box). I like it – don’t need any more big bodies in there because we’re holding up fine against the run

-          He runs rather ugly, but Jewell was running near enough stride for stride with the TE on that PBU he had. Not quick enough to get his head around, but what ILB can do that vs a TE?

-          That 30 yard pass down the seam by Flacco to his TE is elite stuff. You can’t stop that. Parks has great coverage, and Stewart is splitting the 3 deep routes as he should be – it’s just an amazing throw

-          Another HB counter, with Butt coming back under the formation. Goes for 9 yards, perfectly blocked. Actually feel Freeman could’ve gotten another 4-5 yards out of it if he straightened up sooner, but it’s still a lovely gain on 1st down

-          First sign of a naked bootleg, and it’s to Keenum’s left. Love it; throwback to the Shanahan era. Easy 8 yards

-          Less said about the jump pass, the better. He came off Sanders just as he was betting behind the CB and between the Safety in a Cover 2

-          The Bolles hold on the 50 yard throw to DT is an absolute killer. Case has such a clean pocket in front of him; Bolles could’ve just totally let go and the play would’ve still been made

-          Another poor hold a couple of plays later by McGovern. This team isn’t built to play from 2nd and 16

-          Poor location on the 3rd and short throw to Sanders. Not much separation so it had to be a good one, but case threw it a bit behind and it was broken up. Surprised he didn’t look to the trips to the right of our formation. Man coverage, trips is normally likely to leave someone open as it’s so difficult to weave through the traffic as a DB. We had DT wide open for an easy 1st down had Case looked that way

DKHMi3.jpg

-          Roby beaten for an easy 9 yard out route to get the Ravens out from inside their 5 yard line. Plays off coverage, goes instantly into full back paddle against Brown who simply breaks it off, and Flacco delivers on time and in stride

I'd love to see that 3rd slide from the snap. That was a pretty interesting few seconds.

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious @lomaxgrUK. Did Bolles ever get beat on the outside or was it just on the inside moves?

He got beat on the outside a couple of times. The hold on Suggs that negated the long completion to DT was on an outside move. 

He spent most of the game up against Suggs or Za'Darius Smith - both of those guys are at least 270lbs so he really shouldn't be getting beat at all to the outside. If anything, I am surprised he didn't concede more ground to the outside because at this point in his career, Suggs doesn't have the ability to bend around the edge at a top level and Smith just doesn't have the athleticism.

Most power rushers prefer the inside move for this reason, but also because most of the time the OT will try to set square for the bull rush as a way of keeping hands off their chest, and once the OT does it takes away their ability to reset for an inside move (the quickest way to the QB).

Archived