Practice Squad OT’s

ARTMONK HOF

Now we have 2 OT on the practice squad Timon Parris and Chris Durant (who we just signed). Both from small schools but from tapes I’ve seen pretty athletic and probably needing to be coached up. Be nice to have our future OT’s on the practice squad since TWill and Nsekhe getting older now and Moses with injuries. It would be nice if that would work out for us. 

Maybe I have rose colored glasses and maybe a little bored and just a topic I decided to bring up  

ID love for them to work out, I think most likely Christian will replace Nseke’s spot next year and when Trent retires, Christian will get the first crack at replacing him. The guys we have on practice squad now are most likely at best future back ups. Perhaps one can be play guard in the future too.

I think they're are all very far from starter or even swing tackle quality.

I liked the Geron Christian pick as continually adding talent in the trenches is important, but he looked way over his head in the preseason. He'll need to continue to add strength and get reps before he sees any field action.

I've got no problem with adding more linemen to the PS. What I'd rather not see is more churn off the squad. If you're going to try and park these guys with the hopes of coaching them up, you need to stick with them unless it just isn't working.

We've already seen four guys dropped from the practice squad in two weeks: DL Caushaud Lyons (signed 9/3, cut 9/4), QB Nic Shimonek (signed 9/3, cut 9/5), WR Teo Redding (signed 9/11, cut 9/18), and DB Jeremy Reaves (signed 9/12, cut 9/18). Maybe it was painfully obvious that these guys didn't fit what the coaching staff is trying to do, but I question whether you can figure that out in a week or less.

Oh, and then there's Jehu Chesson (signed to the PS on 9/5, elevated to the roster on 9/12, waived (no recall (i.e. he's not going back to PS)) on 9/17). Maybe. NFL.com lists him as no recall, but redskins.com lists him on their squad again.

Current squad:

• RB Kapri Bibbs (signed 9/2)
  • WR Simmie Cobbs Jr. (signed 9/2)
  • T Timon Parris (signed 9/2)
  • DL JoJo Wicker (signed 9/2)
  • LB Cassanova McKinzy (signed 9/2)
  • WR Darvin Kidsy (signed 9/2)
  • TE Matt Flanagan (signed 9/2)
  • TE J.P. Holtz (signed 9/5)
  • T Chris Durant (signed 9/18, apparently)
  • ?? WR Jehu Chesson (signed 9/18??)

3 WR, 2 TE on your practice squad ... that's not great positional usage.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I've got no problem with adding more linemen to the PS. What I'd rather not see is more churn off the squad. If you're going to try and park these guys with the hopes of coaching them up, you need to stick with them unless it just isn't working.

We've already seen four guys dropped from the practice squad in two weeks: DL Caushaud Lyons (signed 9/3, cut 9/4), QB Nic Shimonek (signed 9/3, cut 9/5), WR Teo Redding (signed 9/11, cut 9/18), and DB Jeremy Reaves (signed 9/12, cut 9/18). Maybe it was painfully obvious that these guys didn't fit what the coaching staff is trying to do, but I question whether you can figure that out in a week or less.

Oh, and then there's Jehu Chesson (signed to the PS on 9/5, elevated to the roster on 9/12, waived (no recall (i.e. he's not going back to PS)) on 9/17). Maybe. NFL.com lists him as no recall, but redskins.com lists him on their squad again.

Current squad:

• RB Kapri Bibbs (signed 9/2)
  • WR Simmie Cobbs Jr. (signed 9/2)
  • T Timon Parris (signed 9/2)
  • DL JoJo Wicker (signed 9/2)
  • LB Cassanova McKinzy (signed 9/2)
  • WR Darvin Kidsy (signed 9/2)
  • TE Matt Flanagan (signed 9/2)
  • TE J.P. Holtz (signed 9/5)
  • T Chris Durant (signed 9/18, apparently)
  • ?? WR Jehu Chesson (signed 9/18??)

3 WR, 2 TE on your practice squad ... that's not great positional usage.

In watching the preseason games, Bibbs, Cobbs, Kidsy, Flanagan, Holtz and Paris definitely deserve to be on the practice squad. Maybe positional usage isn’t proper, but let’s not forget were carrying 3 rookie corners, 2 rookie DL, a rookie ILB, a rookie S and a lot of young defensive players on the active roster, as well as they promoted Ladler - the safety we had on the PS to the active roster - because of Akpe’s hamstring issue.

Archived