Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Boy, the Rams are going to have 5 players taking up over 50% of their cap next year. 

Judging without looking up all 31 other teams but that feels.....significant. 

wonder what the near future will be like for this team(2-3 yrs from now)..they really are in a "win now" mode

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

wonder what the near future will be like for this team(2-3 yrs from now)..they really are in a "win now" mode

Gonna be interesting. Guys like Kupp, Johnson, and Nickell are on expiring deals in 2020. Gonna probably kick Weddle and Mathews to the curb. My guess is that Woods will be a casualty because you would think that Kupp would be a priority....but Kupp will also carry a higher cap hit so he might be a walk candidate. 

Gurley and Cooks are not cuttable anytime soon. 

Still doesn’t fix the OLine issue for this year. If they don’t make the Super Bowl...this move should probably be scrutinized more than it will be. 

I do not think they are in a win now mode.  I think the Fitzpatrick trade was a smart one for a team that needed a FS and stunk at drafting DB.  The Bush trade was another need.  THey tried the Steeler way before and other teams jumped them to get the ILB.  Now they had to make a move or be stuck.  The Varnnett  trade was another need.  It is something that others on this board that should have been done years ago. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah they dont look so elite.

they might be elite vs many teams, but the ravens pose their own unique challenges, that the pats didn't solve last night. They aren't the only team to have a problem defending the ravens either, so lets see how each team is in the next few weeks.

I have a theory about NFL defenses moving to more of a lighter, faster players to guard against the pass become vulnerable to teams that can power run.  Currently, only the Ravens and Jags really fit that offense.  Perhaps the Bills.

I would have thought the Pats almost had the counter with their hybrid defense with 2 DTs playing 2 gap and 2 DEs playing 1 gap but the Ravens could move those tackles.  A heavy M-t-M team like the Pats has big issues once a RB makes is 5 yards pass the LOS.

The Steeler Oline has moved to more of a zone blocking line.  I think they have one player that can root out a DL (DD) and one who might be able to do it (Feller).  Otherwise the line is built for Big Ben and is a pass blocking line.

Edited by jebrick

Just now, jebrick said:

I have a theory about NFL defenses moving to more of a lighter, faster players to guard against the pass become vulnerable to teams that can power run.  Currently, only the Ravens and Jags really fit that offense.  Perhaps the Bills.

The Steeler Oline has moved to more of a zone blocking line.  I think they have one player that can root out a DL (DD) and one who might be able to do it (Feller).  Otherwise the line is built for Big Ben and is a pass blocking line.

Give it time imo. The "Jerome Bettis" NFL will make a return, not completely but to a degree. Especially when AR, TB, BR, and DB are all out of the league. There are some prolific QBs that are younger but, as you just stated, NFL defenses have gotten smaller and faster as a majority. The obvious response is for offenses to get bigger to overpower those smaller guys. Baltimore has figured that out. 

As more teams begin to, you'll see a transition, another 'Era' of the NFL. Every new era comes with a twist on the style throughout the league. When the Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Roethlisberger era began a transition was made heavily to the pass. As the # of prolific QBs diminishes and let's be honest when those guys retire, it will be greatly diminished, we will see 'adjustments' to the offensive styles in the NFL, a new era of football.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Give it time imo. The "Jerome Bettis" NFL will make a return, not completely but to a degree. Especially when AR, TB, BR, and DB are all out of the league. There are some prolific QBs that are younger but, as you just stated, NFL defenses have gotten smaller and faster as a majority. The obvious response is for offenses to get bigger to overpower those smaller guys. Baltimore has figured that out. 

As more teams begin to, you'll see a transition, another 'Era' of the NFL. Every new era comes with a twist on the style throughout the league. When the Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Roethlisberger era began a transition was made heavily to the pass. As the # of prolific QBs diminishes and let's be honest when those guys retire, it will be greatly diminished, we will see 'adjustments' to the offensive styles in the NFL, a new era of football.

Eh I disagree.  The rules have tilted too much in favor of passing to go back to any true power run based offense, and on top of that few teams are running that in the NCAA.

I think whats going to happen is more and more QB's are going to come out of college that can move but have been doing it their whole life, so they know how to avoid the big hit.  So coaches will become less afraid to run RPO almost like it's an old school bootleg, but with the added element of QB mobility to take off and run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Eh I disagree.  The rules have tilted too much in favor of passing to go back to any true power run based offense, and on top of that few teams are running that in the NCAA.

I think whats going to happen is more and more QB's are going to come out of college that can move but have been doing it their whole life, so they know how to avoid the big hit.  So coaches will become less afraid to run RPO almost like it's an old school bootleg, but with the added element of QB mobility to take off and run.

As a DC, I would teach my guys to blow the QB up on EVERY RPO play. I don't care if the RB rips off a 50 yarder. That OC will learn sooner then later to not call those plays. 

The Pats got exposed because they are a Man to Man Defense.  You can't run that scheme against a Running QB. So if the theory that the League is moving towards a RPO Offense holds true then it stands to reason it will also be a League of Zone Defenses.