Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

I decided to throw on the 2016 Wild Card game against the Dolphins this morning and man it’s depressing as hell we never won a super bowl with the killer Bs. Legit no one had an answer for us when Ben, Bell, and AB were rolling on all cylinders.

AB had two 50+ yard touchdowns in the first quarter of that game for those who don’t remember. 3 catches, 120 yards and 2 touchdowns with 6 minutes left in the 1st quarter 😭

Defense had Harrison, Timmons, Bud Dupree, Tuitt, Shazier and Hargrave up front sheesh. Secondary was trash though.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

We had a drive to start the 2nd quarter where we just handed it to Bell 9 straight times for 83 yards that ended with 1 yard TD run by Bell. Just straight up not fair!!

I sometimes really miss this Haley switch. If Ben was ever off or changing things up too much Haley would just flip the switch and say screw it we are running. 

The Bills game that year was one of my favorites. We opened the game with an insane pass/run ratio. Ben ended up with 3 picks in the game. But opening the second half we had 9 running plays out of our first 10 and scored a TD. Bell had 27 carries in the second half. 

Same thing with the Chiefs game in the playoffs. Opened pass heavy then flipped to the Bell show. I know a lot of that’s what drove Ben to dislike Haley, and Haley absolutely had his flaws....but man I wish those two could have worked it out. They were good for each other. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the 2010 playoff win over the Ravens at Heinz field. 

We had freakin Heath Miller, Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, and Antwan Randle El on the same team.

It’s surreal watching AB as a rookie 6th rounder who is only a kick returner and lucky to get on offense for a handful of snaps (although he had that sick helmet catch in the 4th quarter) knowing what I know now.

LaMar Woodley was a dog man. I wish he would have stayed healthy.

Hines Ward looks washed in this game but he’s all up in Ed Reed’s grill the whole game, love it.

Ryan Clark had a hell of a game Big hits all night, forced a crucial fumble against Ray Rice, and picked off Flacco in the 3rd.

I really miss Heath Miller.

Due to injuries our O-Line was Trai Essex - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Legursky - Foster at one point yikes 

This has got to be one of my favorite playoff games of all time. I’ve never seen an offense crumble like the Ravens did in the 2nd half.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 8:50 AM, bigben07MVP said:

I decided to throw on the 2016 Wild Card game against the Dolphins this morning and man it’s depressing as hell we never won a super bowl with the killer Bs. Legit no one had an answer for us when Ben, Bell, and AB were rolling on all cylinders.

AB had two 50+ yard touchdowns in the first quarter of that game for those who don’t remember. 3 catches, 120 yards and 2 touchdowns with 6 minutes left in the 1st quarter 😭

Defense had Harrison, Timmons, Bud Dupree, Tuitt, Shazier and Hargrave up front sheesh. Secondary was trash though.

The bolded, you answered your own question. Also, most teams couldn’t beat the Patriots back then, and that’s what kept the Steelers from getting to a SB w/ the Killer B’s.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The bolded, you answered your own question. Also, most teams couldn’t beat the Patriots back then, and that’s what kept the Steelers from getting to a SB w/ the Killer B’s.

Injuries hurt our chances. Bell got hurt against the Pats in the 2016 AFC Championship game and Shazier going down ruined us in 2017. That was the year we were destined to win and we would have if Shazier didn’t go down. He was the heart and soul of our defense that year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Injuries hurt our chances. Bell got hurt against the Pats in the 2016 AFC Championship game and Shazier going down ruined us in 2017. That was the year we were destined to win and we would have if Shazier didn’t go down. He was the heart and soul of our defense that year.

Maybe, we’ll never know. But, the Patriots were the main reason the Steelers didn’t win another Super Bowl or 2 the last decade.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 12:56 AM, bigben07MVP said:

I’ll also say that the Killer B’s didn’t win a super bowl bc a couple of the personalities on the team began to think they were better than the team mid last decade (Bell & Brown) and Bryant always had his weed issues.

Those 3 couldn’t see the forest for the trees when they were playing with Ben. If they had, they’d still have them on the team and maybe some of the offensive talent the team has spent so much draft capital on the last few drafts could’ve went more to the defense and the team would be more complete.

It’s really sad, I know Brown says he realizes what he had in Ben now. Bell never says anything about Pitt anymore that I’ve seen, but I’m sure if you had him one on one he’d say he’d rather have taken the Steelers long term offer from 3 years ago then sit out the season because he’d still be an All-Pro RB on a playoff team. 

If they had those two last year plus Juju & if Bryant hadn’t smoked himself out of the league, maybe they beat the Bills at the end of the season and win one more game to go 10-6 and they’re in the playoffs last year even w/o Ben.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but hoping for some visibility:

For anyone interested, I'm taking part in an All NFL Draft on the GM Mock Drafts forum. We're going to be doing a snake style draft and building our own teams including coaches. I've done it in the past and it's been a lot of fun and helps learn about the state of talent in the league and different positions and on different teams. Disclaimer, this process usually takes about a month or so depending on the number of participants and how much people are able to stay on top of time schedules. If anyone's interested check it out! 

• 3 months later...

So something I went through this past summer:

I've been dealing with some debilitating back injuries for a long time from lacrosse where 3 vertebrae were broken in 9 spots.  In pushing for D1 scholarships I skimmed on rehab to get on the field faster.  Well, almost 17 years later I learned here that my QL muscles, hip abductor muscles, and glute muscles had gone inactive.  Basically my obliques, quads, and hamstrings supported everything causing my back pain.

I went through proper rehab which eventually sent me to work with the Washington Football Team doctors since it's a common OL/DL injury.  Worked a ton on working through the muscles learning to work again.  And it was incredibly painful, time consuming, and hard work....but completely worth it.

I'm happy to say I've been pain free and not using occasional pain killers for the first time in 17 years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So something I went through this past summer:

I've been dealing with some debilitating back injuries for a long time from lacrosse where 3 vertebrae were broken in 9 spots.  In pushing for D1 scholarships I skimmed on rehab to get on the field faster.  Well, almost 17 years later I learned here that my QL muscles, hip abductor muscles, and glute muscles had gone inactive.  Basically my obliques, quads, and hamstrings supported everything causing my back pain.

I went through proper rehab which eventually sent me to work with the Washington Football Team doctors since it's a common OL/DL injury.  Worked a ton on working through the muscles learning to work again.  And it was incredibly painful, time consuming, and hard work....but completely worth it.

I'm happy to say I've been pain free and not using occasional pain killers for the first time in 17 years.

Congrats war! Nothing better than a clean bill of health.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Congrats war! Nothing better than a clean bill of health.

Thanks!

There was a funny moment when they were working on my back a few weeks after COVID stuff calmed down, and I'm like yelling in pain as they work on my back.  They take a quick break before working on it again and Alex Smith came in.  They get back to work doing the same thing and I don't make a peep.  They asked why changed and if it felt better.  I said, "Do you think i'm going to [expletive] complain about pain in front of that guy?"  Alex just doubled over in laughter that I was that scared to complain in front of him.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:50 AM, bigben07MVP said:

secondary neds to be good in the nfl . steelers didn't want to admit that it seemed and we know how that went