Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/hakeem-butler

When the worst trait is hands for a 6'6 225 receiver, he is a TE or he is stocking shelves at Walmart.  You would think it is correctable with a jugs machine but perhaps he does not have the mentality to concentrate.

Panthers signed him.  I dont know if his hands are his worst traits but were underwhelming in camp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, August4th said:

Bell is going out sad, man. Did not get on the field once yesterday. if he did signed that new deal with us in 2018, we would be talking about him as a cut candidate right now. Dude is washed and will probably be out of the NFL after next yr(won't be shocked if last night was his last game tbh). AB getting ring should help his HOF case. I'm all for more steelers getting in and I want to hear the AB HOF speach 🙋‍♂️

[Moving the Chiefs talk over here]

That would be one hell of a speech!

I was still very pro that Bell contract because I thought at the minimum, he would still be a highly useful 3rd down back for blocking and receiving. So no, he probably wasn't worth the money in year 3-5 as a bell cow, but you could still USE him in high leverage situations. 

They were opting for Darrel Williams over Bell. That's gotta be his "here is my sign this is over" moment. 

I just would have been very frustrated by Bell, I think. Obviously he isn't going to say "hey, yeah I messed up" yet, but he keeps trying to sell to everyone that he made the right choice and this is exactly what he wanted. If he would have won the super bowl, he would talked about how his ultimate goal was always to win a championship and here is a champion! Failing so badly that you were a bare bottom pickup on a team that didn't use you would have angered me if that's the angle he took. 

• 3 weeks later...

The QB position is going to be a fascinating study of the next couple of years. We have already had 3 guys traded. Two more are seriously being considered and who knows the real fate of a guy like Darnold?

I think more analytical minds are going to start rethinking their second contract QBs. I can see analytical offensive minded coaches/teams opting away from the Goff style extension of holding onto a decent(?) QB and selling early and re-drafting the position. Baker is the one I am most curious about right now. Would you be excited to give him $35M+ per? It's becoming a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. Yes, he is very capable of playing well in Stefanski's role for him, but is he also worth evaporating the margins of your team roster?

Everyone's view of top teams in the AFC: Ravens (rookie deal), Browns (rookie deal), Bills (rookie deal), Chiefs (non, rookie deal -- but super team friendly and jumps the next two years into the $40M range).

I actually worry about the Chiefs long term. Pat Mahomes is really, really good but the gravy train has left the station on that contract. Their margins need to get vastly better and the top end of their salary cap hits is filled with question marks while currently being over the cap. Outside of having a god at QB, I don't envy their position. 

It surprises me that more teams don't go after hiring lower level FO members of teams like the Steelers, Packers, Saints, Cowboys, etc when it comes to having teams built for a run and ending the QB rookie contract. If you don't understand how to be creative and position/move money....your roster's going to go from contender to man, I love having that QB on my fantasy team -- they are always losing!

This is why I love the NFL though (and fully appreciate what the Steelers have done the last 20 years). The Chiefs could have played in their last super bowl in the next 15 years. The Jags could be the next Patriots. Watson could turn the Jets into an immediate super bowl contender. Who knows?