Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

You'll see some team try it.  The running game was devalued, and now it's re-valued (?) with the QB being part of the equation.  I think some team might look at spend at defense, OL, WR and just rotate in a certain fit at QB and RB.

BUT

The issue is that ownership know you get just as much value out of overpaying a QB and the income benefits of making the playoffs every year.  

I think what we might see happen, and what I think Jerry is trying to do with Dak, is put a cap on the top of the market for QB's.  Almost every other position has a "cap" as to they won't spend over this amount and the guys that 'push' the market are heads and shoulders so much better (think Aaron Donald) and they barely push the top end of the deal.  The fact that QB contracts have run so rampant to get the "latest" guy paid rather than the "better" guy paid is what has put this market into where it is.

Take QB's for example of Mahomes, Watson, and Dak.  Watson signs his contract, isn't the best, but gets best money.  So that pushes Mahomes, the actual best, into the next level.  And now Dak wants Mahomes money as a starting point.  And some team would end up paying that.  But really Watson's contract should be the cap as to what Dak gets.

16 hours ago, warfelg said:

The running game was devalued, and now it's re-valued

This has been a long running thought of mine...that the game will be cyclical and come back to a run dominate era as more teams try to evolve to the passing game, but find out that there is a higher floor in the run and easier to turn to than it is finding the next Mahomes. 

Defenses are being built to counter the passing game, and you see teams like the Ravens, Titans, and Browns running the ball down peoples throats with investment in the run. I also think that caps their ceiling unless their QB's can transform, but I see them winning a lot of football games. 

I think you might have touched on this before (I might be wrong), but I wouldnt mind the Steelers going a Jalen Hurts(ish) kinda route in the draft. A guy who has skills and is a threat with his legs, but falls in the draft because of concerns about his arm. With a really good defense is taking that guy with a non-high premium pick better than rolling the dice on a high, pass first 1st rounder that has less than a 50% success rate of becoming a good QB in the NFL?

I don't know. But I think it's interesting. 

Edited by Dcash4

JJ Watt signed with the Cardinals for 2/$31mil with $26mil gtd. 

Something to keep an eye on: if we had to tag TJ next summer, they would be FA’s together. Just sayin’. (Not that they would land here, rather it’s worth monitoring should they want to play together that it could be a threat to lose TJ.)

Well, the brother thing and the championship thing didn't matter. Looks like opportunity, cost, and sunshine did. Having lived down south for a couple years and moving back to PA...I certainly do not blame him on the last piece. 

27 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Well, the brother thing and the championship thing didn't matter. Looks like opportunity, cost, and sunshine did. Having lived down south for a couple years and moving back to PA...I certainly do not blame him on the last piece. 

I feel like maybe he did entertain those other spots and they thought they could low ball him to an offer because it was about to win. Then a boarder line team comes in at $15.5mil AAV and snatches him up. 

From the Texans edge though how bad does this look to not ask him for a short list of who he wants to join, and give us 72 hours to find a deal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like maybe he did entertain those other spots and they thought they could low ball him to an offer because it was about to win. Then a boarder line team comes in at $15.5mil AAV and snatches him up. 

For sure. I don't doubt the Pittsburgh's, Green Bay's, and Buffalo's were in contact, but there are so many decisions that go into these things. I wouldn't have had Arizona on a list of teams I thought he would go to, but warm weather, a usefulness spot, maybe a better fit, and better cash flow, exciting up and coming team...good on him. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

From the Texans edge though how bad does this look to not ask him for a short list of who he wants to join, and give us 72 hours to find a deal?

I am very interested to see how FA goes this year for them. If no one wants to sign with them outside of desperate to stay in the league guys, I wonder if there might be a sort of reckoning where McNair says "our bad" and fires his GM and coach in year 1. 

I have no idea how you salvage this. I guess it could start with getting 3 1's for Deshaun, but man.... they got a lotta image repair to do before players buy in there. 

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They'd be firing the wrong guy TBH.

Ahhh you're right. I keep forgetting that Easterby isn't the GM...its even worse than that. Though, I do expect a cascade of firings and a complete re-do. 

Dude....thats a hell of a photo....
dkzqciyxmt2fmk0dubap.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ahhh you're right. I keep forgetting that Easterby isn't the GM...its even worse than that. Though, I do expect a cascade of firings and a complete re-do. 

Dude....thats a hell of a photo....
dkzqciyxmt2fmk0dubap.jpg

Sadly he's got something on Cal McNair and unless the NFL steps in this is going to continue.  And as a Sixers fan, seeing my team messed with for far far less than what other franchises do in all sports, kinda pisses me off when crap like this happens and people just shrug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Jeremy Fowler reported we were very much in the mix on JJ but he grew impatient waiting on the cap situation. 

My guess is that they viewed him as an elite player that despite not being a position of need would still make a huge impact...woulda been interesting 

I found this comment interesting and something of note while we move forward in our next QB search. I’m very willing to be patient, even if it takes a couple years, to draft our next franchise guy so that we can build the most talented team to put around him. 

I did a little research before that I can’t remember the exact numbers on now, but it’s basically since Big Ben’s draft there are only 2 drafts when you would consider over 50% of the QBs drafted in the first two rounds as “good” players. 

If they like a guy like Mac Jones, go for it. But i wouldn’t draft for average. Take the best talent first. 

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Me preparing to watch the Ravens and Browns commit $40m+ to their yearly cap for QBs who still have a lot of unanswered questions:

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

That rookie QB deal Is a magical unicorn.

It allows you to overpay in FA to full out roster around the stud QB...I think people really underestimate how much it helps and then later really hampers the team(to an extent).

• 1 month later...