GDT Week 3: Baltimore Ravens vs Denver Broncos

wackywabbit

ZktET_o_WU6Mm1sJzJLZhQ_96x96.png     @   1vlEqqoyb9uTqBYiBeNH-w_96x96.png

Sunday 9/23 1PM
Forecast: 76° channce of rain: 40%
Line: Ravens -5 OU: 43.5

About time to move on to the next game, right? In a lot of ways this is a chance to redo the matchup against Cincy. Again, we face a pass rush that will be the biggest challenge of the game and an opposing offensive line we should be able to take advantage of. Our offense needs better protection and a better plan to get rid of the ball quickly. Indications are that Stanley will play, but Chubb/Miller against Hurst is going to be a real problem. Emmanuel Sanders is off to a great start and will be the top priority for the defense to stop. Tavon Young should bounce back, but they also need to be a lot smarter about giving him help than they were last week. I expect to see a concerted effort to give Collins the ball this week, based on what Harbaugh has said. Most of all, let's see if our pass rush can come back to life.

The Broncos are a solid team and seem like they could be in the race for a wild card spot at the end of the season. But, we've had a long rest, are at home, and get the 1pm start against a western team, so this is a game we should and need to win. It's early in the season, but a loss would really put the pressure on going into Pittsburgh week 4.

I wrote it in another thread, but this is a game, where game planning will be key to win. We CAN'T get behind early again. Bengals rushed mainly 4 against us all night and had 7 in coverage. We had 5-7 guys in there to protect which left very little room for wide receivers/tight ends to get open.

I would like to see more spread formations and also more jumbo packages with an extra lineman and Nick Boyle/Pat Ricard in there to bulldoze people.

I expect Mark Andrews to be a huge part of the game plan. He was constantly open against both Buffalo and Cini, and Harbaugh was raving about him at the recent presser. He can get open quickly and is effective after the catch. A weapon we'll need against the kind of pressure Miller can bring. 

6 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

could get ugly if they can't beat Denver and have to play Pittsburgh week 4 who very well could be looking at 0-2-1.

gimme the Ravens 20-19 because Keenum is just the right guy to get the D back to looking competent.
Jonny Brown should be good for 100yds against the Broncos.

I don't think a loss is a reason to cause panic. I still have a feeling, that being 3-3 after week 6 and 4-5 going into the bye could be sufficient to make a late season run.

If we have any ambition being more than a 9-7 team this year, a 5-4 going into the bye is the least W's we should be looking at. 

Not very optimistic about this game given that we're going to have to rely on coaching to beat Denver and our coaches have shown to be crap so far this year.

Collins needs touches, whether it's in the run game or pass game. I love Buck but giving him more touches, and more important touches than Collins is insane.

Pass rush has to get to Keenum. We have the players for it. We have the talent for it. We have the rotations available for it. Wink and the LB's coaches need to freaking use it.

Humphrey/Carr need to continue playing well against what'll be the best WR duo we've faced and a good test for Pittsburgh in Sanders/Thomas.

Obviously, the OL needs to bounce back as well. Stanley can't be benched, but Hurst absolutely needs to be in favor of Zeus.

This game will show Wink's caliber. Either he changes and proves he's no Pees, or it's more of the same.

We saw the Pass Rush stall and utilized no rotation. 

We saw the Bengals exploit mismatches and did nothing to adapt.

Tavon Young is a great corner, but 10 yards off in the slot against AJ Green with no safety help is pushing things...as we all saw. I don't know when our coordinators are finally going to get that teams won't give us what we want. They aren't going to run at Pierce and Williams. They aren't going to just stand in the pocket and let our corners ride their wide outs for 7 seconds, letting a gassed front work their way to the QB. It's going to be quick passes, crossing routes, hurry up to prevent DI subs, and working mismatches. There is a blueprint out on how to best attack our defense. Either we adapt to it or squander the potential we have on that side of the ball.

Judon is an issue. I knew his production last year was overwhelmingly off of cleanup, stunts, and coverage, but I thought he could take a step forward and he just hasn't. He's been a ghost out there, and isn't producing even when fresh. Judon tires the quickest out of all our OLBs to begin with too, so if he isn't producing.....why is he given all of the snaps? He isn't a better pass rusher then Tyus or Tim, and doesn't compare in coverage ability to Bowser either. It looks like Judon is what I thought. He's great at blowing up screen passes, a C+ pass rusher when used in a rotation and a high quality pass rush tool for stunts and exotic blitzes. Add in that he's a 5th round pick, and the priority he's been awarded is quite puzzling. Especially when Tim Williams is producing on such a low opportunity level. Bowser and Williams aren't Rookies anymore, they aren't liabilities against the run, and Judon is performing at an average level. There is no reasoning for them not to play, and it's gone from frustrating to an embarrassing blemish on the Franchise. lol We're going out of our way to not play our 2nd and 3rd round Pass Rushers....when generating a pass rush has become a huge issue crippling our defense. Insane. 

On offense I think we force the ball to Collins. With Screens, and Roman digging deep to overcome our line. 

To be fair, Antwan Barnes was just fast - incredibly fast, but also completely unaware of his surroundings. I can still remember a play, where he beat Bengals left tackle so clean that he was untouched on his way to Carson Palmer, and then just blew right by him without changing direction. Carson actually managed to follow Barnes move right by him looking puzzled, and then moved his eyes back down the field to find a receiver.

Nevertheless, I think we have a better combo in Williams and Bowser, and unless he begins to pick up more snaps, Bowser is another wasted 2. round pick.

1. and 2. round picks are supposed to have a more immediate impact than being rotational players in their second year.

Also, I am all aboard the Zieler train. We need more disruption and penetration from our inside guys rather than "pushing" the pocket. Urban, Williams, Zieler could be a decent front, and then sub in Pierce and Smith and Wormley.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

To be fair, Antwan Barnes was just fast - incredibly fast, but also completely unaware of his surroundings. I can still remember a play, where he beat Bengals left tackle so clean that he was untouched on his way to Carson Palmer, and then just blew right by him without changing direction. Carson actually managed to follow Barnes move right by him looking puzzled, and then moved his eyes back down the field to find a receiver.

Nevertheless, I think we have a better combo in Williams and Bowser, and unless he begins to pick up more snaps, Bowser is another wasted 2. round pick.

1. and 2. round picks are supposed to have a more immediate impact than being rotational players in their second year.

Also, I am all aboard the Zieler train. We need more disruption and penetration from our inside guys rather than "pushing" the pocket. Urban, Williams, Zieler could be a decent front, and then sub in Pierce and Smith and Wormley.

I still remember Barnes being terrible for us, going to NYJ and being "meh" as well then going to SD and suddenly being a decent pass rusher and then tormenting us the one game we played SD.

I will ride and die on the "Tyus Bowser is great when he actually gets snaps" hill. His sack rate, pressure rate, and general stats all increase the more he plays. With our current lineup of guys, there is literally zero reason why he shouldn't be rotating in there with Tim Williams to give Judon/Suggs a break.

Archived