How did Buffalo Bills become so terrible

Lazy10

I don't get how you from playoff team to immediately becoming worst team in the conference. This is like opposite of the Rams in 2017. 

I admit I expected the Bills to be bad but yikes they look horrendous, similar to Browns of last year. 

I hope Bills land #1pick so they can trade to QB needy team and get 2 1st, then trade back again and get another first. 

Bills will be fine long term as they have belief in Allen, just stockpile those draft picks and draft well

I'll say this.  After watching the Chargers/Bills game yesterday from beginning to end, I was impressed by the fight in that team.  I know everyone is making fun of them because Vontae Davis quit at halftime, but that team played hard.  Their defense stepped up as the game went on and they got good pressure. 

The problem I see for the team, which I won't really criticize them for is they are facing some massive growing pains with their young guys.  Tremaine Edmunds looks lost at LB, and Josh Allen while talented has a long way to go at QB.  Tyrod Taylor was not the answer, and I don't blame them from moving on from mediocrity.  Doesn't mean Josh Allen is the answer, but at least they are trying.

I'd rather the Bills play their young guys and take their lumps, than bring in a veteran who has no future with the team.  This is a "Trust the Process" season for them.  Also, their OL decisions were terrible...

They had a negative point differential of over three points per game last season. They really weren't that good to begin with.

They beat the Bucs because we couldn't stop them from going 90 yards in three plays to score the game winning TD with seconds left in the game.

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

They were barely a playoff team, they were in QB purgatory with Taylor and had to move on, they lost key players and because they played a meaningless playoff game just to say they did they didn’t get enough quality pucks to replace them 

Wrong sport.

Eric Woods career ends to injury.

Downgraded at QB.

Traded Cordy Glenn.

Richie Incognito retires.

Investments in wide receivers fail, (Zay Jones/Sammy Watkins/Jordan Matthews).

Karlos Williams, Mike Gilislee and Jonathan Williams fizzle out.

Defensively, they remain sturdy but Kyle Williams is older, they traded Ronald Darby and Marcell Dareus to conference championship contending teams (Eagles/Jaguars), E.J. Gaines walks in free agency, and high draft picks Reggie Ragland and Shaq Lawson don't pan out.

Also, they changed the name of the stadium and the owners.

This is the wake left by Rex Ryan and the previous franchise regime.

Old D, which is a problem...because the O keeps them on the field all the time.  And to begin with, their run D was not as good as their pass D was last year, who were great ballhawks.

OL which lost its starting T to trade (so they can get their franchise QB), their C forced to retire, and their OG goes completely haywire.

Basically, they suck in the trenches on both sides now, have no skill players who can separate, and a QB who has no business starting right now.    Kind of an easy formula to fall from grace.   Remember, they made the playoffs with a negative point differential, and an unsustainable TO plus/minus.    When you factor all the above, pretty easy to see the path to the abyss that they've taken.

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Benching your starting QB for Nathan Peterman because....reasons and ultimately driving him out of town because he's not an All-Pro is a good place to start.

Ugh. I hate this thinking. Tyrone Taylor is a loser who has some half decent stats because he’s a risk averse QB who will make a couple of meaningless uncontested passes a game that don’t make difference. This was identified and the Bills correctly realized it was a fools mission to roll with him as anything but a stop gap and he’s not worth anything more than that. The jury was out on Peterson and even if there was a 5% chance he could be good, it was better than the 100% chance of accomplishing nothing with Tyrod. Sometimes you need to realize when something is a lost cause and experiment. 

Sorry it’s the biggest myth in the world that every team has a chance. The Bills squeaked into the playoffs and everyone knew they weren’t a real contender and didn’t have a chance in hell of accomplishing anything. When you have that situation you need to evaluate your roster in real game situations instead of playing in a fantasy mindset that you have any chance of winning a Super Bowl with Tyrod Taylor. Even if that means starting someone who might suck to see what you have in him.  

30 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Benching your starting QB for Nathan Peterman because....reasons and ultimately driving him out of town because he's not an All-Pro is a good place to start.

This. I feel as if every NFL fan deserves a public apology from the Bills for them starting Peterman multiple times. They should've just direct-snapped the ball to a RB or WR, along with punting on 2nd down. 

Archived