Why I have faith in Nagy

WindyCity

There are a couple of play calling moments that have me really excited about where Nagy is going as a play caller.

1. Scripted plays

It is clear that with a week to scheme the scripted plays he can flat out game plan an *** kicking opening drive. That tells me that this group can scheme and out plan other coaching staffs.

2. Creative Run Game

When the Jordan Howard run game was not working against the Seahawks he did not continue to pound his head into the wall, but he also did not abandon the run. The Taylor Gabriel runs were big in the 2nd half, not only generating yards, but keeping the offense in manageable downs and distances.

3. 2nd Half of Seattle

After an inconsistent 1st half and needing points coming out of halftime Nagy came out of the half, settled down 10, threw quick completions and designed roll outs and efficiently moved down the field and scored a TD. This was a massive departure from GB where he struggled to get 10 settled down.

I think we are seeing a very limited version of this entire offense, but I have seen some positives about Nagy as a game planner and play caller.

I agree, there's a lot to like.  I generally like the guys style, and think he and Pace did a good job putting together a staff and roster.  

After not making enough or proper adjustments in GB,  the adaptation in the 2nd half against Seahawks was pleasing to see.  The first drive scripts have been very good as well, but the caveat there is that eventually some team is going to get a handle on the types of plays he likes to use early and have a plan for it. The good news there is that he hopefully has some options if people figure out the opening drive, and since his first 2 have been successful, we haven't seen the options yet.

Honestly, if the rest of the team (Def, coaching) wasn't clicking so well I don't think there would be that much pressure on Trubisky.  Add in that GB loss and he's got his hands full. 

I have every faith in Nagy to get this offence right...much like Trubisky tho it will take time...guys need to fully understand this scheme and if you look at what Andy Reid installed in KC it is not simple...ton of different personal groupings as well as guys lining up in unnatural positions like Gabriel at RB even with Cohen on the field in the bunch...I agree we aren't seeing anything like the full playbook and Nagy has already said Trubisky can only call an audible on some plays and not others...that will also have to change and will when guys understand the scheme better...

Also Nagy himself is going to need time to adapt to not just being a playcaller but also being responsible for everything that happens on that field...that is a big change but he has the temperament to do it...can he become and elite HC in the NFL? I have no doubts about it.

I like him -- a lot -- as a human being and I'm beginning to respect him as a football coach. I think the fact he played QB his entire life lends him to be a leader with great ease, it seems to come naturally to him. I love seeing him in the locker room after a win and I think his youth helps him to bond with our young roster. As a Cubs fan, I LOVE that he has been talking with Joe Maddon and took the "victory party" concept from him and is applying it to our Bears. The players seem to love it as well.

Offensively... man there's a lot of smoke and mirrors. I don't want to delve into the Gary Crowton era, but I hope that Nagy isn't blowing his proverbial load with these plays. I want to make sure he has answers and adjustments to what defenses decide to take away from him. Seattle played a lot of zone, something we struggled against week 1 vs Green Bay, but overall I thought he adjusted well.

At the end of the day, his career literally will be tied to how he develops Mitch Trubisky. So far I am seeing some glimpses but, as it pains me to say this, I think I see a kid that has regressed a tiny bit from his UNC days. That's okay because he's in a brand new offense and being taught to approach the game with a brand new demeanor. I'm just glad he only had one year of getting Foxed/Loggained.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I'm just glad he only had one year of getting Foxed/Loggained.

Damn straight. Can you imagine how bad Mahomes would have been had he been in Chicago last year? Footwork was a mess, massive gunslinger mentality, zero talent to speak of on the outside, etc then have to go through two systems... Him having a year to sit was a massive help as that was what he got to work on, as he had a ton of college experience already and didn't have another year to recondition those bad habits. Nagy took the time to get these issues hammered out, and he is working on Tru's issues right now. People need to give him time, Tru doesn't have over 1,000 pass attempts in college games.

Tru will rebound and do well I'm sure. I remember McDaniels having a point where an OL was saying they wanted to do something schematically and he got chewed out - having McDaniels compare it as addition being where they were at to trigonometry being where that was or something of the sort. That is this same situation, the entire offense is on the bare bones of addition, and it will take the better of 2 years to really get it implemented and set in. Consistency in an offensive scheme isn't week to week (though improvements and refining is), it is month to month and year to year.

I won't lie and say I didn't expect Trubisky to look better than he does, but Nagy's explanation of the process seems sound to me.  Kind of like in basic training where you have to fully break a person down and then build them back up,  it seems like he's got MT on a short leash as far as what he can do, and it seems like they're trying to break some habits.  I cringed when he threw that first pick Monday; "NOO!! That's the longest shot he's taken, he's going to go back to 8yd completions now!"

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He is far more of a leader than Trestman was.

Two games into the Trestman era, we had no idea that everyone on that roster hated Trestman. We do now.

At this point, it looks like Nagy is a better leader, but some of his off-the-field ideas are like Trestman's. Again, I really want to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Two games into the Trestman era, we had no idea that everyone on that roster hated Trestman. We do now.

At this point, it looks like Nagy is a better leader, but some of his off-the-field ideas are like Trestman's. Again, I really want to be wrong.

Care to explain what you mean by this?  Off-field ideas?

By off-field you mean getting players to take a team pic in the locker room showers?

People aren't listening to him.  He has said since February it is a long process to learn this offense and people need to be patient.

There aren't short cuts.  That includes coaching staff and other offensive players.  It is a process, I don't know how many times he needs to say that.

It's first year in the system for everyone but Nagy.  

In offseason everyone rationally said this would be a learning year, now season is actually here all we hear is cries for instant gratification.  Rationality be damned.  There is no patience and it saddens me.  

Really positive sign is they have consistently executed the scripted plays.  They can study them and know their roles backward and forward.  When they know what they are doing and can play fast and confident it has been 100% successful.  By next year that will be a lot of guys returning that have a full year in system.  Should be a whole different ball game.  

When you know the system and the reads you can have freedom to change the play at the LOS to a better play just like Brady and Brees do based on pre snap alignment.

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not even talking about coaching wise...just general demeanour...Nagy is much more of an alpha who commands a locker room...I don't need players to like a coach...I do however need them to respect him and for me the players never did with Trestman...it's fairly clear they have bought into Nagy and maybe even more importantly Nagy's staff. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Care to explain what you mean by this?  Off-field ideas?

By off-field you mean getting players to take a team pic in the locker room showers?

He switched up lockers so players can bond with players they usually wouldn't and was seemingly obsessed with the word BOND. He is always talking about family being first. He had a dance party for the players after they beat Seattle. Some of it seems elementary, kind of like how initially Trestman's quirkiness was "a breath of fresh air" only for it to end horribly. Of course, if they win consistently, he's football's Joe Maddon. If he doesn't, he's Trestman.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He switched up lockers so players can bond with players they usually wouldn't and was seemingly obsessed with the word BOND. He is always talking about family being first. He had a dance party for the players after they beat Seattle. Some of it seems elementary, kind of like how initially Trestman's quirkiness was "a breath of fresh air" only for it to end horribly. Of course, if they win consistently, he's football's Joe Maddon. If he doesn't, he's Trestman.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Biggest difference is we have a defense still with Nagy

Archived