Why I have faith in Nagy

WindyCity

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The Trestman/Nagy thing is funny.

It's like Twitter logic:  Hitler likes candy and so does this politician.  Therefore this politician is Hitler.

I feel like I am a MT and Nagy apologist and I'm not, but they are being treated really unfairly in media and social media IMO.  Both have done everything expected of them up to this point and nearly exactly at where they were expected to be at this point.    

People were acting like Watson was going to score 40 a game going forward after last years hot start.  He hasn't looked all world this year.    Garoppolo was going to go undefeated too after last year.   Any notice Matthew Stafford missed an open deep receiver like 4 or 5x last game several of which may have been TDs?  Matt Ryan and Foles played pretty bad to start season. 

But we all have to compare Mitch to Mahomes right now.  Mahomes had hottest 2 game stretch in entire history of NFL, but because they were in same draft class it's fair to blast Mitch for not matching that or assume it would have happened here if he went through exact same process as Mitch in Chicago to date?   Also by that same line of thinking Mahomes should be expected to continue on and be the greatest player who ever lived.  Do people think Mahomes will throw 5 or 6 TDs a game every game in perpetuity?  It seems they do.  Same with Watson scoring 40 a game after last year, didn't happen did it?

People will generally regress or egress to their personal mean once a large enough sample size is built, but a player has to 1) learn and grow and 2) build that sample size before they are judged.  RG3 after rookie year was the next big thing according to many of same people who were saying Watson is "Michael Jordan of football" and are now saying Mahomes is a bona fide super star.  Maybe they are, but we don't really know yet.   

I think a lot of it is people want to have an early correct opinion on something to show how precient and knowledgeable they are.   So they make bold calls early, this guy will be awesome, this guy will suck, and then loudly continue with the I told you so's until they are wrong and then they are on to something else.   It's annoying.  

I think after 2019 season it will be fair to judge whether the plan was, is or will be successful or not.  Right now it doesn't make any sense. is counter productive and floods us with negativity which can have a real effect.  

AMEN brother

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

IMO, Nagy won the players over with a few things Trestman didn’t: 

- Recent high level NFL success

- Relatable experiences as a player 

- Pushing them to embrace their individuality 

Where it goes from here is anyone’s guess. 

Players have said he's runs a strict locker room, more strict than John Fox last season (not saying much).

Beat writers have said that, multiple times, Nagy has turned around during practice and told Josh Bellamy (and others) to "shut the ____ up" because they were horsing around.

Trestman had no spine and had no idea how to police a locker room or hold people accountable. That's IMPERATIVE for a NFL coach (hell, for any coach). Any stupid/lazy Trestman comp needs to die right there. I don't care that they're both white and offensive-minded coaches.

I'm a bit concerned about Nagy as a play-caller. During the Green Bay game it seemed like he was trying to be "cute" on a lot of plays when a more direct approach would have worked. His development as a play-caller will be interesting to track because he's had very little exposure in the past and this ability is something that differentiates many offensive-minded coaches.

With that said, I really like the design of the offense and the mentality of the team. I like how the Bears attack defenses. I'm more confident in their ability to run innovative sets than I've ever been. This is all happening without Shaheen. I assume a versatile in-line TE will only add flexibility and offer Nagy more personnel options.

Archived