Redskins Ranked 1st in Defense through 2 Weeks

turtle28

The problem with the Colts was that they were game-planning short passes for two reasons:  

1.) Their offensive line is not very good in pass protection, and hasn;t been in a while

2.) Luck's shoulder is not 100% of what it once was, and they are trying to save it as much as possible.  

Luck was getting the ball out in under three seconds.  Our coaches should've noticed that and immediately dropped everyone they could back into pressure.  We have good pass rush pieces- and you can always add more- but the pass rush is a very good unit for the team. 

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

How is total defense defined here?  We’re ranked 8th in defensive DVOA. 

It's yards allowed per game. Yes, it's a stupid metric, but that's what NFL.com defaults to. Slightly better is points allowed per game (where Washington is 2nd at 13.5), but that doesn't take into account that Arizona is crap. Something DVOA does, but if I recall correctly, it's using some of last year's data since there's not enough from this year to make true judgments.

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's yards allowed per game. Yes, it's a stupid metric, but that's what NFL.com defaults to. Slightly better is points allowed per game (where Washington is 2nd at 13.5), but that doesn't take into account that Arizona is crap. Something DVOA does, but if I recall correctly, it's using some of last year's data since there's not enough from this year to make true judgments.

Ah, got it.  Thanks.

I think DVOA actually solely uses this year's data, but they also have their "DAVE" rankings, which includes their projections for each team's final record this year.  They say to take DVOA with a grain of salt until week 4, from what I remember. 

On 9/20/2018 at 11:59 AM, Slappy Mc said:

Fake News. 

One game we were terrific and the next we got dominated. Say what you will about the defense as a whole, that defensive front sucked against the Colts. The secondary has been impressive.

I’d say this ranking changes this week. 

Our defense didn’t get dominated in week 2. Our offense couldn’t sustain drives. We only gave up 281 total yards and Swearinger had two interceptions. The Colts had three good drives all game and that’s it.

I will agree that we weren’t as good vs the run though as we gave up 104 yards on the ground. We mainly had issues with Jordan Wilkins. He had 61 yards in 10 carries but Marlon Mack only had 34 yards on 10 carries.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#DVOA

THE ULTRA-SHORT VERSION:

DVOA measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent.

THE SHORT VERSION:

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative. For more detail, read below.

Just now, turtle28 said:

So we’re 8th? That’s good. I don’t expect us to stay in the top of 10 as the season progresses, but I’m hopeful we have a top 20, maybe top 15 D at the end of the year.

Yes, but as they point out, DVOA (since it's based on a play-by-play evaluation as well as team-by-team evaluation) is very noisy early on in the season. By week 5 or 6, it will settle down a bit as more data comes in.

They're actually even higher than 8th (I think 4th) in DVOA outside of the red zone. Which makes sense -- Indy only had 4 drives all game where they did a damn thing against the D, and one of those ended in an INT. But they cashed in the other 3 for goal-to-go TDs, so that's gonna hurt your red zone numbers.

Some of that red zone success noise will smooth out as time goes on. We're not going to continue to yield 100% TDs in the red zone like we did against Indy. Because our defense is better than that, because we're not always going to be playing against a coach who just learned some quality red zone tricks under Doug Pederson and a QB as smart as Andrew Luck, and because some of it is just pure luck/timing.

They're not a top 5 defense, nor probably even top 10, in my view. But I think they have the potential to be in the top 10-15 range this season with solid health. As the offense gets more locked in, opposing teams won't be able to be so conservative, and the pass-rush will get the chance to really make some impact.

Archived