Redskins Ranked 1st in Defense through 2 Weeks

turtle28

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They need to find a stud pass rusher. At this point they cannot give Preston Smith big money. Let him walk and take the compensation pick. Go after Brian Burns in the draft if we end up being terrible. 

Ryan Kerrigan - who I admit at times disappears - has basically the same amount of pressures as Von Miller since they both entered the year and nearly as many sacks. There was only 1 year where Von was a lot better abd I think that was 2012.

If Smith doesn’t step up and have more than 8 sacks this year, I agree we should be looking to draft a replacement for the former GMs pass rusher of choice who’s been good but not great.

I think that Scherff is definitely a higher priority than Smith and Crowder too, as long as Crowder doesn’t get offered a huge deal by someone who’s going to pay him $10 m a year or something, which I doubt.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

But I think they have the potential to be in the top 10-15 range this season with solid health.

Which would be a breath of fresh air.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

As the offense gets more locked in, opposing teams won't be able to be so conservative, and the pass-rush will get the chance to really make some impact.

Maybe ...

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Maybe ...

I really think so. Luck has been 4th-fastest to get the ball out so far, and Bradford has been 6th-fastest. 

Both teams definitely game-planned around trying to limit our pass rush. The Cardinals basically packed it in and kept the dump-off stuff going even when they were way behind. That was sad stuff from them. But I think the Colts only stuck with it because they could, since they had the lead. Had we taken the lead, I think they would have tried to turn Luck loose on some deeper (and slower-developing) throws — and our pass rush would have gotten home more. 

They've still gotten pressure on about 30% of drop-backs (right around top 10) despite the emphasis on quick passes, so I think we’ll see the sacks start to come soon enough.

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I really think so. Luck has been 4th-fastest to get the ball out so far, and Bradford has been 6th-fastest. 

Both teams definitely game-planned around trying to limit our pass rush. The Cardinals basically packed it in and kept the dump-off stuff going even when they were way behind. That was sad stuff from them. But I think the Colts only stuck with it because they could, since they had the lead. Had we taken the lead, I think they would have tried to turn Luck loose on some deeper (and slower-developing) throws — and our pass rush would have gotten home more. 

They've still gotten pressure on about 30% of drop-backs (right around top 10) despite the emphasis on quick passes, so I think we’ll see the sacks start to come soon enough.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance...

And we all know that Rodgers likes to hold onto the ball to wait for things to open up downfield, of course that was before the knee injury.

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Payne struggling at NT?  Hmmm, you don't say?  Smh.

If only we could put Allen and Payne on the field at the same time without requiring either Allen or Payne to absorb two blockers ... if only there was a way ...

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Payne struggling at NT?  Hmmm, you don't say?  Smh.

At least Norman will be going up against an equally rated player judging by this, 69.2 vs Cobb at 69.3.

As for Payne, he did fine week 1. I’m wondering what the metrics are? I’m sure it’s more than just run stopping for the DL. I’ll also point out that one week 2  they struggled on a few drives - like the 1st drive to stop the run - but not the entire game and he went against Ryan Kelley. Most centers aren’t a good as Ryan Kelly. 

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They need to find a stud pass rusher. At this point they cannot give Preston Smith big money. Let him walk and take the compensation pick. Go after Brian Burns in the draft if we end up being terrible. 

Man, if only someone had brought up trading Preston Smith this offseason while he still had value.  Hmmmm.....

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Man, if only someone had brought up trading Preston Smith this offseason while he still had value.  Hmmmm.....

I doubt he had any more value in March/April/May than what we’d get in a 3rd round comp pick if we don’t re-sign him and he goes to the Raiders or somewhere that needs multiple DE/OLBs.

There was no reason to create a hole at OLB then when we needed a NT like Payne and a RB like Guice more.

We can live with a good but not great ROLB, we couldn’t live with trash at NT & RB.

Archived