Redskins Ranked 1st in Defense through 2 Weeks

turtle28

20 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Let’s see how it goes today.bradford was terrible and the defense was putrid last week, just not very good either 

our “offensive genius” head coach is being exposed as the real genius is coaching the LA Rams 

7bdc73ad8b9a5cad3df06da257fd3fda.gif

That offensive genius HC did give Sean McVay a chance to be an offensive coordinator and taught him a lot. I don’t know why this is lost on some.

I think what gets lost in comparing the two is that the Rams have more talent on offense except at RG, LT and TE. They have Adrian Peterson in his prime at RB - Todd Gurley - who is a better receiver than Peterson and they’ve had a true downfield threat each season McVay has been the HC - Sammy Watkins and Brandon Cooks. That’s something the Redskins haven’t had since we didn’t re-sign Djax.

Smith is fine, the main issue I see is they have him dropping into coverage a lot, especially on 3rd downs. That makes no sense. Smith and Kerrigan have to be your DEs/OLBs when it’s 3rd and long, there’s no excuse for that not being the case. Also what I see is our interior pass rush getting home - which rarely happened the previous 5 years - so when the OLBs get outside pressure and tge QB steps up, Allen, Ioannidis or Payne are there for the sack.

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We should call the Seahawks about Earl Thomas. He’s not old at 29 and should have a lot of football left in him. This would allow Swearinger to play his natural position and give Nicholson more time to develop. 

He’s 29, he will cost draft picks, wants a monster contract extension, and he plays the least impactful position on defense.  No thanks.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s 29, he will cost draft picks, wants a monster contract extension, and he plays the least impactful position on defense.  No thanks.

I definitely agree, there’s no doubt Thomas is elite but everything you said is true. On top of that, Nicholson is developing just fine, yes, he’s not perfect but he’s been better than average every game he’s started that I can think of.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Knight, come on dude. Just because you undervalue the safety position doesn’t mean what you say is fact. A great safety can turn the back end of a defense into a brick wall. 

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Knight, come on dude. Just because you undervalue the safety position doesn’t mean what you say is fact. A great safety can turn the back end of a defense into a brick wall. 

IMO our defense needs an elite edge rusher, not a FS to take the next step.  We’re already paying Norman $20 Mil, I can’t see us affording What Thomas wants.  Now you can argue, hey just move on from Norman.  Well if we do we create a hole at CB, plus we’d probably be down a top draft pick to acquire Thomas.  Then consider Preston Smith likely needs to be replaced with our first next year, and things start to get really cramped capwise.  

Mid rather roll with Nicholson and see what we have there.  He’s cheap and still very inexperienced, he’s likely going to get better.  

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

IMO our defense needs an elite edge rusher, not a FS to take the next step.  We’re already paying Norman $20 Mil, I can’t see us affording What Thomas wants.  Now you can argue, hey just move on from Norman.  Well if we do we create a hole at CB, plus we’d probably be down a top draft pick to acquire Thomas.  Then consider Preston Smith likely needs to be replaced with our first next year, and things start to get really cramped capwise.  

Mid rather roll with Nicholson and see what we have there.  He’s cheap and still very inexperienced, he’s likely going to get better.  

I agree. We can’t afford to pay Thomas QB money and keep re-signing our young talent. 

Norman is not quite making $20M this year - that was last year - this year he’s making $16.7, next year $14.5 & 2020 - $15.5.

I think it all depends on how the rest of the year goes as far as the top needs with this team, except for obviously LG. It’s way too early to tell. If Doctson doesn’t step up and a WR is the BPA in round 1, they may go WR and give Doctson competition for his spot.

Archived