Bears @ Cardinals, 9/23/18, 3:25 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Meh....you can say this just about any throw. Not all defensive players are that smart or athletic enough to make the kind of play that we saw Jones make yesterday to tip the ball, and better yet the play by the safety Golden to secure the INT.  It's why CJ is one of the best in the NFL at what he does.

Plus the play is happening so fast in real time you don't have much time to think in that instance you just react.  If Mitch puts a little more arc on that throw then maybe he completes it but maybe he also overthrows his target and then people would be talking about how bad of a throw it was when all he had to do was put a soft touch on it.  Let's give credit where it's due.

Lol, but instead we are talking about how he threw an INT.

Offense

-I really do not have anything to say in defense of Mitch. He was bad. He missed wide open throws that I think a college freshman can make. He made incredibly dumb decisions with the football and the offense turned into a WR screen festival because they couldn’t trust him with more. I can keep yelling about patience, but I will not be offering a defense of Mitch again, until he gives me something to work with.

Terrible misses/throws
-Gabriel in the endzone
-Gabriel in the middle of the field when he gets killed
-Robinson on the redzone skinny post when he gets inside
-Robinson on the sideline that is inside and underthrown

-Nagy was bad. His timeout usage, his redzone play calling, the endless and useless WR screens. He needs to figure out something that Trubisky can execute and show that genius that was talked about in the offseason. I will say him running the ball was nice.

-I really like Allen Robinson, but the dude is not a good blocker yet we continue to throw screen passes behind him assuming he is going to block.

-If Trubisky ever learns how to throw the ball up to Allen Robinson in a place he can get it this could be a big connection. He seems to get a step and with his size a high or outside throw should be a catch or a possible interference call.

-Good to see Trey Burton continue to get involved. I would like to see him become more of the primary read against teams with a player like Patrick Peterson, instead of relentlessly targeting Peterson and asking for an interception.

-Taylor Gabriel must be the most frustrated man in the world. He should have multiple big TD catches, but instead he is chasing a massive other throw every time.

-Sit Anthony Miller against TB, give him a full 3 weeks to let the shoulder calm down and see what is going on before week 6. There is no sense in him limping through games, the offense has enough challenges as it is.

-Kevin White should probably be inactive.

-I would prefer Josh Bellamy on the field if you are going to run WR screens, at least I know that he can and will block someone.

-Dion Sims for a 2nd week with the exact right number of targets. What a waste of 6 million.

-The offense needs Shaheen back. Having another threat at TE and a guy with the size to make some of these junk throws into something would be a nice add.

-I thought there were way too many plays where the OL has a double team in the middle and a free blitzer off the edge. I didn’t think they had a bad game, but there were way too many negative runs and free runners at the QB. I think during the bye week the James Daniels era needs to begin. 

Defense

-Khalil Mack is the DPOY and again just decided that the game was going to be the Bears. 5 tackles, 2 sacks, FF at a huge moment of the game. Everything feeds off of him on defense and I really think the Bears would be 0-3 without him. The move we thought added pressure to Trubisky is actually taking it off of him. Can you imagine if the Bears were 0-3 and Mitch was playing this poorly.

-It was really nice to see Leonard Floyd with the reduced cast making some plays. He had a couple of really great run defense plays and a couple of nice rushes, specifically on the Hicks sack where he rushed the A game and blew past the OG and flushed Bradford. Slowly rounding into shape.

-Not many teams have a top 3 rushers like the Bears do. Aaron Lynch continues to thrive in his 3rd OLB role and make enough plays that he is a positive in his reps. Again I thought he was active and pushing the pocket when he was in there, a steep departure from his pedestrian week 1.

-The Bears may have the deepest 3-4 DL in the league. Hicks was awesome again and continues to be one of the better free agent signings the Bears have ever made. Goldman is one of the better run defenders in the league. Bullard continues to have nice moments and at a minimum plays the run well. RRH looks like a starter when he plays. Now they have the 5th round rookie in Bilal Nichols come in and make one of the biggest plays of the game on the 3rd and 2 run that set up 4th and 5. The fact that he looks NFL strong as a rookie is a great sign.

-Trevathan had a brutal start to the game. He blows the coverage on the 1st TD and then he gets worked by David Johnson in the slot. The defense was able to rebound and settle down, but it is odd to see Trevathan get worked in coverage like that.

-Roquan did not have any splash plays, but I thought he was solid again and his speed limiting YAC yards is obvious when you see him flash through the screen. He did miss another tackle and he needs to slow down a little on the run plays and trust that he is in good position.

-Prince getting hurt was the only reason the Cardinals were moving the ball in the 2nd half. Tolliver was playing understandably conservative and giving the Cardinals some yards.

-Bryce Callahan is having a great season in the slot. If I was Pace I would approach him about an extension.

-Eddie Jackson has so much range. I cannot remember the last time the Bears had a true FS like him. It is really too bad that the pick 6 was taken off the board. I wonder if they are reluctant to pay Amos because Jackson will be 2 years behind him and seems like a more unique player.

-The all out blitz on the hail marry was an awesome call by Vic Fangio. My biggest issue with Vic has been that he can get conservative. On that play he did not allow Rosen to even to plant his feet to make the throw.

22 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I mean he did today. I don't know how that's debateable. His footwork was bad making most of his throws way off. 

No, I even admitted that game was the worst so far this season. The interception (whether the guy actually caught it or not) was terrible, as was the pinballing-between-his-offensive-linemen-sack. That doesn't mean he sucks. See Nagy's tweet...

7 hours ago, dafreak said:

In a moment of weakness I admit that I was trolling...To say we overpaid for Mack simply because they didnt land him p'd me off...Just hoping and waiting for the tables to be turned...

We can go back and dig up more stuff from the Packers forum, and if I was dedicated enough I'd go back to the old forum and find where you tried this crap in here before.  I'm not so I'll let @CBears019 decide what he wants to do about it.

I’m watching the replay of the game finally. What do they see in Bullard? He absolutely sucks. I said this a few months ago and got torn apart on here, but he does nothing. That hands to the face penalty near the end of the game could have been a difference. Keep giving RRH snaps and I’d like to see more Nichols.

Found out what happened on defense with that blown coverage on the 1st TD.

It was Prince. The defense was in a 4-3 cover-3 and this is what the play should have looked like.

t5FLXtx.jpg

But Prince trailed Nelson(Decoy) all the way across the field instead of staying in his zone. 

Here's the video in slo-mo.

Actually looking at a little closer. It's also partially on Tre, just not as much as Prince.

Both Tre and Jackson bit pretty hard on the PA and if Tre recognizes it and just drops back into coverage he would have been at his spot at the time Nelson was entering his zone. But still, Prince should have let Nelson go the second he reached into Amos' zone and picked up Jones.

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Actually looking at a little closer. It's also partially on Tre, just not as much as Prince.

Both Tre and Jackson bit pretty hard on the PA and if Tre recognizes it and just drops back into coverage he would have been at his spot at the time Nelson was entering his zone. But still, Prince should have let Nelson go the second he reached into Amos' zone and picked up Jones.

It took me a really long time to figure out who you were talking about when you said Tre

Archived