Diggs vs Secondary (JA, Tramon, King) (~150MB)

skibrett15

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think there's an argument to be made for House over Jones at the moment, but that's not even really what I'm saying. If we're doing a DB flood, I'd probably prefer to have Tramon at CB. 

You also say you think Jackson should slowly transition ahead of Tramon. So if he's not ahead of Jackson and he's not playing the deep half are you just benching him? Really what it comes down to when we have the 7 on the field is do you want Jones/Brice deep or Tramon? That's an easy answer for me.

Jones and Brice clearly need to run at the ball in front of them, I really hope we don't waste those two pulling a Dom and forcing them to play a scheme. Those are two explosive guys, but free safeties they are not.

17 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Those guys that get out of bed as athletes often age well. I'm not saying Williams can run like he could ten year's ago. But he can sure as hell still run well enough to bring value at CB.

Tramon is making 5 M which is 5x that of House.  5x that of Pacman, 5x that of Sam Shields or Leon Hall or DRC or.... dozens of other replacement level veteran CBs in this league.

Tramon's contract dictated that he get a shot over the rookies, but the contract is a joke.  I have every confidence that Tramon can cover someone his age and skill level.  Problem is ricky proehl retired a while ago. 

Fact is the coaches wanted to line him up against the opposing team's best because they still think he's got it for some reason.

He doesn't have it and the entire organization needs to stop perpetuating the mistake.

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You also say you think Jackson should slowly transition ahead of Tramon. So if he's not ahead of Jackson and he's not playing the deep half are you just benching him? Really what it comes down to when we have the 7 on the field is do you want Jones/Brice deep or Tramon? That's an easy answer for me.

Jones and Brice clearly need to run at the ball in front of them, I really hope we don't waste those two pulling a Dom and forcing them to play a scheme. Those are two explosive guys, but free safeties they are not.

Not going to say you can't screw up deep halves as a safety but if that's what you want to play, any of the Safeties can play it.

If you're running out 7 DBs and only have one guy playing deep, you're either playing a defense I've never heard or you've got 2 DBs playing Linebacker.

If I'm at 7 DBs, I'm expecting pass. I'd rather have Tramon covering a guy at CB then putting one of the box Safeties on a Tight End.

I don't know where I'm supposed to fit him at this point in non dime alignments. He's not as good high as HHCD. He's certainly not a box safety. If Alexander isn't better in the slot right now, he will be by the end of the year. I like King more today on the boundary. 

That leaves the other boundary left to fight over between he and Jackson. Let them fight over it. Play the matchups. 

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Tramon is making 5 M which is 5x that of House.  5x that of Pacman, 5x that of Sam Shields or Leon Hall or DRC or.... dozens of other replacement level veteran CBs in this league.

Tramon's contract dictated that he get a shot over the rookies, but the contract is a joke.  I have every confidence that Tramon can cover someone his age and skill level.  Problem is ricky proehl retired a while ago. 

Fact is the coaches wanted to line him up against the opposing team's best because they still think he's got it for some reason.

He doesn't have it and the entire organization needs to stop perpetuating the mistake.

Guess we can just agree to disagree here. Bunch of ways to bring value to a football team and I'm quite sure most if not all are happy to have Williams in that room if you'd ask them to a man. On the field, we have played two teams that collectively have 11 WR's on their rosters and I don't like Williams odds over exactly one of those WR's. Add in the rest of what he brings to that room and the fact they have a solid #1 in King and I'm just fine having Williams around with contract in hand and view it as very fair value really. One could make a case that he's holding back the younger studs development. I'm just not the one that would be willing to make said case. 

1 hour ago, palmy50 said:

House is a different story. House is the one that lost his legs.

I tried to say this in the game/post game thread earlier this week.  I just don't see his value at this point.  He isn't a gunner (he is, but shouldn't be.  He's slow) and he's demonstrated that he ISN'T the reliable vet backup that so many people want him to be.  

While no other young CB's came out and stole a job in the pre-season, I'd much rather have Pipkins as the #5 than House.  I know he can sit in zone, read a play and tackle the receiver before the sticks.  He showed the ability to compete even though he might not have a specific attribute that really sticks out.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Tramon didn't line up against the opposing team's best, they played him at RCB all game unless I missed something, and definitely the best place to play him right now.  So Diggs ate his lunch; that'll happen to better corners than Tramon this year.  He still looks the part, his movement skills are still there, and he's an experience vet who understands the game at a high level.  I'm not worried about him in the least.  I'd be willing to bet money this is one of his worst games this year.

I doubt any help is coming at this point.  We just need to hope we can make it work with the personnel we have this season.  That goes for edge also.  Let’s see what the next couple of weeks brings.  Maybe this personnel group will start to settle into Pettine’s scheme and we’ll see some improvement.

My Preferred DB depth chart:

King
HHCD
JA
JJ
Tramon
Brice
Jones
House
Whitehead

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Tramon didn't line up against the opposing team's best, they played him at RCB all game unless I missed something, and definitely the best place to play him right now.  So Diggs ate his lunch; that'll happen to better corners than Tramon this year.  He still looks the part, his movement skills are still there, and he's an experience vet who understands the game at a high level.  I'm not worried about him in the least.  I'd be willing to bet money this is one of his worst games this year.

Yeah they left him at RCB.  He's fine.  I'd say he's hurting the team as a starting CB relative to most other #2 corners, but he probably won't kill us.  Way better than what we've had the past 2 years.

Archived