Ryan Fitzpatrick the next Rich Gannon?

Chiefer

With Fitzpatricks amazing start to the season and the weapons he has at his disposal, is this another fluke or the real thing?

If y'all don't know rich Gannon was another big armed later round journeyman QB from a (public)ivy league school. He bounced around the league for years, started for the Chiefs and lead them to the playoffs, then lost his job when the starter came back. Went to Oakland the next year and eventually got MVP honors and a SB trip.

Tom Brady has said that he's been around so long that nothing surprises him, and throughout football history you see QBs who have stuck around and make an impact are in their careers. Could the Irish Rifle be another example of that? After a long career are things finally clicking for him?

62BHgMJ.jpg

I saw this and giggled. 

To be fair, I don't think there is anything outside of a flash start. We see this with him about a every 2-3 years, Fitzpatrick leverages this into a nice bit of cheddar and promptly falls into the abyss. Rams to Cincy to Buffalo to Tennessee to Houston to NYJ to Tampa... it's part of the journey for Fitzy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Conor FitzGregor. I sincerely wish he never left Houston when he did, was a better QB than guys like Hoyer, Mallett, Savage, Osweiler...

We've got a new offense this year. Koetter stepped down from playcalling and it's been our OC Todd Monken since preseason. We're running routes/concepts we haven't seen since Koetter got here. I'm sure that has played a part in our offense blowing up.

That said, I hope so. I'd love to have a QB we can rely on for a few years. If one popped up before Winston, so be it. Take us to the promised land with whoever behind center, I don't care.

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've got a new offense this year. Koetter stepped down from playcalling and it's been our OC Todd Monken since preseason. We're running routes/concepts we haven't seen since Koetter got here. I'm sure that has played a part in our offense blowing up.

That said, I hope so. I'd love to have a QB we can rely on for a few years. If one popped up before Winston, so be it. Take us to the promised land with whoever behind center, I don't care.

Monken has been phenomenal. And Ryan’s deep accuracy passes > Jamie’s. Been a huge factor. Without looking at stats. How’s your running

game been? 

Just now, El ramster said:

Monken has been phenomenal. And Ryan’s deep accuracy passes > Jamie’s. Been a huge factor. Without looking at stats. How’s your running

game been? 

Hit and miss. We're efficient early in games. But we run when we're "supposed to" in the second half and lose yards too much.

There have been probably half a dozen times the last two weeks we lined up with a TE and FB and looked at a stacked box, with LBs/DBs pressing the line, obviously run blitzing. Then we turned around and handed it off anyway.

Peyton Barber looks pretty good when he's not hit behind the LOS.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

There have been probably half a dozen times the last two weeks we lined up with a TE and FB and looked at a stacked box, with LBs/DBs pressing the line, obviously run blitzing. Then we turned around and handed it off anyway.

That's a good feeling when it works. They know you're going to run, and you run on them anyway. 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'd imagine he'll retire a Buc. As long as Koetter and Licht are here, anyway.

At this point, he's going for each team. He'll retire at 61, after he posts his first All Pro season for the 49ers while winning his first SB. He'll be the first player elected to the Hall of Fame with a jersey from all 34 teams (San Antonio and Portland should have a team by then).

He'll spend two seasons with the Jags - one season in Jacksonville and one in London. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

At this point, he's going for each team. He'll retire at 61, after he posts his first All Pro season for the 49ers while winning his first SB. He'll be the first player elected to the Hall of Fame with a jersey from all 34 teams (San Antonio and Portland should have a team by then).

He'll spend two seasons with the Jags - one season in Jacksonville and one in London. 

Sounds, Fitzmagical :x

"Are the Steelers done?" (mixed with all the drama) and "Ryan Fitzpatrick the next Rich Gannon?" threads on the same week the Bucs/Steelers are playing on MNF, with Winston set to return next week?

Yea, Fitz is definitely throwing 4 INTs Monday.  Guaranteed.

Archived