Rookie Watch (Week 4 Update)

MacReady

On 9/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, incognito_man said:

Is the safety position devalued or are we just in an era where there aren't a lot of great/good safeties?

I'm not sure safeties are devalued.  I think adding a player like James to this defense would have been real difference maker.  That being said, I have never had an issue with the decision to trade down.  Had GB kept the pick, I probably would have been a little bummed to see Gute pick Alexander over James, but Alexander is doing more than enough to justify the decision to trade down.  I like the odds well enough that GB will be happier long term having Alexander + 2019 RD1 vs having James alone.  It may not work out that way, but the decision to go that direction was sound.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:12 AM, Hands said:

Didn't see the game, how did MVS look? Is he getting on the field on offense?

Rewatched the entire 1st half before company came over.  Rodgers was looking at MVS quite a bit a the beginning, including what seemed to be his first read going deep a few times.  He ran a few corner routes in the red zone on different possessions but Rodgers had to come off him and throw somewhere else because of good coverage.  He played slot a lot as well, didn't count but seemed like he was mostly in the slot.  MVS has almost no suddenness to his route running, he is in full sprint the entire route and fast cornerbacks were able to stay on his hip for the most part except for the deep ball.  It's interesting comparing him to D. Adams, who runs his routes a lot slower, I mean like 1/2 as fast, but when he plants and changes directions he leaves defenders behind in a split second.   

On one play 3 WR's ran 3 comeback routes at about the same distance and MVS was the quickest one in and out of his break by one step.  On another run play he was "dancing" with a defender instead of engaging him, letting the defender tackle J. Williams for a short gain, could of been a big run if he had made the block.  A lot of work in this area considering he was in the slot on multiple plays.

^^^

Thanks for the write-up, greatly appreciated.
On the near- INT 4th down play, I am wondering if MVS didn't force the CB back far enough on his route OR.... MVS just didn't come back toward the pass at all
Wondering if it was it a crappy route OR just laziness. Or both

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

^^^

Thanks for the write-up, greatly appreciated.
On the near- INT 4th down play, I am wondering if MVS didn't force the CB back far enough on his route OR.... MVS just didn't come back toward the pass at all
Wondering if it was it a crappy route OR just laziness. Or both

Truthfully, it was just good coverage. The CB was all over him the entire way.

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Truthfully, it was just good coverage. The CB was all over him the entire way.

I understand why 12 was pissed at him, but the ball should have never gone his way.  The CB had it smothered from the snap.

Archived