Rookie Watch (Week 4 Update)

MacReady

I know PFF isn't the best, I know it has serious issues, but I feel like the issues even themselves out across the board.  Secondary and receiver play especially sucks by them, but they remain the only legitimate option for overall ratings of players for the sake of comparison.  That said, let's look at the grades of each first round rookie over the first X amount of games.  I will try to continue updating this as the season goes on.  I will bold some of the players featured in discussions here.

PFF ratings:

Elite
High Quality
Good
Above Average
Average
Below Average
Poor
Rookie

First 32 Rookies:

Baker Mayfield - 88.2 up from 84.3
Saquon Barkley - 72.4 Up from 62
Sam Darnold - 47.2  Down from 62.4, then 55.2
Denzel Ward - 77.7 Down from 81.9
Bradley Chubb - 64.8  Down from 76.6, then 67, now 64.8
Quenton Nelson - 60.9 Down from 61, and that's before last night
Roquan Smith - 68.2  Up from 65.3
Mike McGlinchey - 67.7 Down 1 point
Josh Rosen - 69.7
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 69.0 Down from 71.7,
Vita Vea - N/A
Daron Payne - 56.1
Marcus Davenport - 75.2 Down from 81.1
Kolton Miller - 58.3 Down from 59.8
Tremaine Edmunds - 53.0
Derwin James - 87.9
Jaire Alexander - 75.4 (Highest yet)
Leighton Vander Esch - 83.6 Up from 76.5
Frank Ragnow - 62.3
Billy Price - 57.7
Rashan Evans - 37.2
Isaiah Wynn - N/A
DJ Moore - 71.0 Down from 78.6
Hayden Hurst - N/A
Calvin Ridley - 68.5
Rashaad Penny - 49.4
Terrel Edmunds - 53.4
Taven Bryan - 61.2
Mike Hughes - 59.4
Sony Michel - 58.5
Lamar Jackson - N/A

Will Hernandez went up a full point plus in his rating while Nelson, the can't miss instant pro bowl player, has remained SLIGHTLY above average at guard. 

Josh Jackson is holding his above average rating.
Clinton-Dix, by the way, has an 83.7 rating.  High quality.  Just need somebody on Twitter to post it. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Derwin James - 82.8 (high quality rating)

Jaire Alexander - 73.7 (good rating)

Derwin James has been getting a lot of positive press for his play with the Chargers

Alexander should be basking in the glow of a game-sealing INT...while Josh Jackson has already scored a TD

It's only two games into their NFL careers, but it's already clear GB got some players in this draft

from PackersWire on Alexander:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/19/packers-rookie-cb-jaire-alexander-flashes-more-playmaking-ability-vs-vikings/

"The rookie made two standout plays on the Vikings’ very first series. On first down following a penalty, Alexander diagnosed a quick swing pass to Stefon Diggs in the flat and blew up the play. Two plays later, he blitzed off the left side, beat the block attempt of Dalvin Cook and helped sack Cousins, forcing the punt that resulted in Josh Jackson’s opening score.

Another blitz from the rookie two series later once again helped the Packers get off the field. On third down, Alexander executed a delayed blitz from the right side, ran past the left guard and forced a hurried throw from Cousins, forcing another punt."

34 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

One also needs to remember that positional value is a very real thing on draft day. Maybe Derwin James does grade out a little better than Alexander by years end but that's not to say he is/was more valuable!

Yes but Derwin James, Denzel Ward and Josh Rosen were my favs in the draft. Change my mind

25 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yes but Derwin James, Denzel Ward and Josh Rosen were my favs in the draft. Change my mind

Hard to fight anyone's love for Ward. Even more so in this system. Very good/clean prospect and a great fit as well. James would have been pretty close to Alexander on the value board for me. At the time of the pick though I would have felt far better about the Packers safety room than I would have the CB room. Having Jones in that safety room would have helped me lean Alexander over James as well. Rosen was kinda the EQ of the QB class. Extremely talented if you can make him work in the room. 

Myself i didn't watch a bunch of tape on all the prospects until we picked our kid. Highlight vids don't give everything obviously either. The grades would show that we could have picked a few and won.

In two games i have to say I'm pleased as punch with Jarie he's a player and looks like he could end up being one hell of a player. I thought he may be cocky which isn't bad for a CB but he hasn't shown it at all. He's not afraid to tackle, take on blockers and you can tell he wants to make plays. His body language around the ball, effort and instincts seem to be on par with the best in the game. He looks to be in the right place in almost every situation so far.

After watching the Theilen TD catch to i feel he may have made a better play on the ball had he not thought Brice the human missile was not going to kill him.

So far he looks to be the real deal and a guy that will make a fair amount of money in GB for awhile.

3 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Hard to fight anyone's love for Ward. Even more so in this system. Very good/clean prospect and a great fit as well. James would have been pretty close to Alexander on the value board for me. At the time of the pick though I would have felt far better about the Packers safety room than I would have the CB room. Having Jones in that safety room would have helped me lean Alexander over James as well. Rosen was kinda the EQ of the QB class. Extremely talented if you can make him work in the room. 

Palmy how do you think JA has looked so far this year if you've had any time to watch his game tape? Further how does Jackson look to you? King as well? Your Quick take if you have the few free moments.

31 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Change my mind

I tried to... but you went to the damn vikes game anyway. And then you didn't bring home the W !
You know what they say about Ties in sports ?

"Its like kissing your sister"

Given your choice in avatars, that just seems like a really weird coincidence

10 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Palmy how do you think JA has looked so far this year if you've had any time to watch his game tape? Further how does Jackson look to you? King as well? Your Quick take if you have the few free moments.

Today's NFL is a game of matchups and the Packers are very lucky to have that young trio. They all bring something different to the table. King and Alexander are both kinda freaks but come from a very different mold and Jackson is just one hell of a football athlete. Alexander and Jackson were both mine and graded high for the molds. King is the one that's extremely hard to find if he can put it all together though. His movement at length is RARE. By all accounts he wants to be great also. Alexander is an emotional fireplug and hell on wheels with the ball in his hands. Jackson just flat out finds ways to impact football games week in and week out. He's also a pro's pro in every way. Don't overlook the fact this group all tackle well either. Huge plus when you run that dime/dollar at the pace this DC has in the past. Especially that dollar look!

I think you have the freak, the fireplug, and the football player!!!

15 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

Today's NFL is a game of matchups and the Packers are very lucky to have that young trio. They all bring something different to the table. King and Alexander are both kinda freaks but come from a very different mold and Jackson is just one hell of a football athlete. Alexander and Jackson were both mine and graded high for the molds. King is the one that's extremely hard to find if he can put it all together though. His movement at length is RARE. By all accounts he wants to be great also. Alexander is an emotional fireplug and hell on wheels with the ball in his hands. Jackson just flat out finds ways to impact football games week in and week out. He's also a pro's pro in every way. Don't overlook the fact this group all tackle well either. Huge plus when you run that dime/dollar at the pace this DC has in the past. Especially that dollar look!

Thanks for the response i know lots of this board have the eyes for it and as you note they all pass the eye test. The FFF's i love it

After the draft my impression of 83 was a speed merchant who didn't have a clue how to run a route and also had unreliable hands.  

From the little I've seen of him he's a guy who just pops off the screen.  I love how he attacks the ball away from his body.  He looks a lot like Allison when he catches the ball.  

More surprising to me, however, is how crisp and quick he can make some of his routes look.  His play speed actually matches his timed speed.

This is a player to watch as the season progresses.  I hope MM begins to work him into the lineup more and more as he gets more comfortable with on the fly adjustments.

50 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

That's such a great way to put it.  I think of the three, I'm most happy to have Alexander because I love that style of play and presence.  Just all out, all the time, and he has the game to back it up.  Twice now he's blown up slip screens by just going through the blocking WR, and I can't tell you how much I love to see that from a young DB.  There's just no quit in his game at all, and he can play the ball in the air too which is a hell of a combo.  I think King is probably the most valuable overall, just because of how rare a 6'3" CB who can move like that is.  I like how patient he is in his game; sometimes he's a bit too patient which gets him beat a bit, but I'd rather that than the other way around.  I think experience and reps will speed that clock up a little, whereas I think teaching a panicky DB to settle down is much harder.  Really crazy how much of a turnaround the CB group in Green Bay has already experienced, and the rookies are only two games in!  

Archived