Rookie Watch (Week 4 Update)

MacReady

8 minutes ago, Redt said:

My top three wants in the draft were R. Smith, J. Alexander, and J. Washington. Obviously love JA and JJ looks to be special as well. Now, I have to hope the Smith is a bust, but unfortunately he is going to be really good, especially with Mack as a teammate.

I was consistent with Roquon. I don't love him, but he should be really good with a good defense around him. If the front can keep blockers off him he will be all over the place

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/20/mike-pettine-calls-rookie-cb-jaire-alexander-one-of-defenses-best-players-through-2-weeks/

“If you didn’t know who was who and just evaluated our defense the first two weeks you’d be hard pressed to say that Jaire (Alexander) is potentially our top defensive player, if not our top one or two,” Pettine said. “Just his effort, his energy, his playmaking ability. He’s been outstanding and Josh (Jackson) is not far behind.”

6 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

I don't disagree with Josh behind not far behind, but if he actually thought that House wouldn't have been put in the game over him when King left the game.

Perhaps. But Josh Jackson is still learning how to play press, House already knows.
As a football player, Jackson is fantastic, but he's only a short time into learning all of the techniques he needs to succeed in the NFL and the coaches are bringing him along slowly. Remember: Jackson only started a few games at Iowa and those were mostly in zone.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:11 AM, palmy50 said:

I can tell you for a fact there are a bunch of area scouts down there right now being forced to answer questions about MVS. Very good looking prospect and by all accounts wants/gets it. 

That's very good to hear. Based on the early results, where do you think MVS gets drafted if teams knew then what they know now? Maybe in the 3rd?

Jackson looks like he's still having trouble with chase. He loses the hip and is playing makeup so much when they run cross in man. There's a reason Pettine tried House first. Hard to say House has much left though.. Idk if he'd make it to the end of the season on my roster. Josh playing the ball>what House has left to offer in man.

Scott isn't consistent yet, but he's already hit a couple punts that make it clear enough why Gute spent the pick.  Assuming Burks is about to be added to the mix, this rookie class will already have 4 guys making major contributions on game day.  Tough to complain about that.  If even one or the WR's pan out, this looks to be nice start to Gute's tenure as GM.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:11 AM, palmy50 said:

I can tell you for a fact there are a bunch of area scouts down there right now being forced to answer questions about MVS. Very good looking prospect and by all accounts wants/gets it. 

I mean, to be fair it was really hard to eval him when you've got Quinton Flowers throwing to him.  Probably another case of a RB playing QB, because he simply wasn't accurate enough.  Didn't run real sharp routes in college, so you're essentially drafting the athlete and hoping you can mold him.  The work ethic thing is HUGE, but that's something to really hard to gauge.

Archived