Sony Annouces the $100 Playstation One Retro Console

MikeT14

https://kotaku.com/sony-just-announced-the-99-playstation-classic-console-1829159574 

the company just announced the PlayStation Classic, a small retro console that comes bundled with a range of the original console’s best/most popular games (including Final Fantasy VII).

It’ll be out on December 3 in the US, Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia, and includes games like Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. There’ll be 20 bundled titles in total, but those five are the only ones announced at the moment. Annoyingly, like the SNES Classic, the PlayStation Classic won’t include an AC adaptor, with the only power option being a bundled USB cable.

The PlayStation Classic will include two original PS1 controllers and a HDMI cable, and cost US$99.99 (€99.99 in Europe, AUD$150 in Australia).

What other games would you like to see? I preordered it by the way.

I'm thinking Metal Gear, a Tomb Raider, Driver, Spyro, Tony Hawk 2, Parasite Eve, Legend of Dragoon

The PlayStation Classic’s game list for North America includes a variety of genres, including 2D action games, Japanese role-playing games and puzzle games. Here’s the full list:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Twisted Metal 1/2/3

Jet Moto 1/2

Tony Hawk 1/2

Metal Gear Solid

Harvest Moon: Back To Nature

Spyro

Crash Bandicoot + Crash Team Racing

Tomb Raider 1/2/3

Arc The Lad

Castlevania

Ape Escape

PaRappa the Rapper

Silent Hill

bro... if it has CTR and twisted metal i'll be selling my wife for this.

Meh, not as big a deal as the Nintendo ones.

Most of these games really don't hold up, like at all. The charm of the Nintendo games is they were more simple and a lot of them are still acceptable today. Hell, brand new indie games today have mass success with a retro look. PS games were 3D games that resemble modern gaming and feel like some games we play today, except in comparison they look and handle like absolute arse. Nostalgia alone can't save these. I loved Syphon Filter and Twisted Metal, but there's no way I spend more than 5 minutes max playing either of those in 2018 before I tap out.

There are some exceptions, but very few. Parappa the Rapper definitely being one of them. I think FFVII and maybe some other RPGs will still be ok, but FFVII has been available on other platforms for years.

I assumed that most of the games would be easy to find still for the original playstation, but wow is that not the case. There are also some of them that are quite expensive still. For the 4 out of 5 confirmed that I could even find available on a quick search, it would be over $50.

I'm hoping we get Parasite Eve 1 or 2, Dino Crisis, one of the classic Tomb Raider games (preferably 2), Legacy of Kain, MGS1, and one of the Twisted Metal games on there.

Though I wonder if I should hold out for a PS2 classic? I'd give anything to play SOCOM II again! Also, can it play PS1 discs from the tray if you happen to have any PS1 games lying around?

to be honest though, that price point is ridiculous. $100 for 20 games from the 90s. 

Everyone loves to pimp Sony on their exclusives, understandably. But Microsoft has the formula right with backwards compatibility as I believe there are now 700+ backwards compatible games from the 360 or OG xbox that can be played on the One. 

PS1 was the first console I ever had, and only one I had in that time period. I got an N64 later in life. The games I would want are:

Crash Team Racing 
Crash Bash

I would say Spyro or Crash Bandicoot but they have remasters I could play. I didn't play a ton of games when I was 7

Archived