Sony Annouces the $100 Playstation One Retro Console

MikeT14

Just now, skywlker32 said:

No crash bandicoot? That's pretty disappointing if you ask me.

I get Crash and Spyro not being on there because they're getting remasters, but come on, man, that list is terrible, it's missing so many prominent PS1 classics. Where's Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Tony Hawk?  I could see Crash Team Racing making the cut even with the original games getting the remaster treatment, but alas, it's nowhere to be found on there as well.

Glad I didn't pre-order this. 

On 10/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, carrolljcmc said:

Kind of makes me laugh that they have Persona: Revelations in there. At best, it was a cult hit on the playstation, and I can count on one hand the number of people I know who actually played it the first time around (and can probably only add a couple of more with the portable remake). Think this is very much about what that series has become in the last three installments more so than what the first two (well, actually three, as Persona 2 was actually split into two separate games, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, the former not seeing the west for a very long time and only on portable),, as these games were vastly different from the Persona series most people know now, and were more akin to the traditional, darker SMT games that have never been truly huge sellers until the DS (looking at you DDS 1/2 & Nocturne). 

The DS seems to have really help it gets its foot wedged in there as a one of the best received and most enjoyable rpg series left standing. 

13 hours ago, KManX89 said:

I get Crash and Spyro not being on there because they're getting remasters, but come on, man, that list is terrible, it's missing so many prominent PS1 classics. Where's Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Tony Hawk?  I could see Crash Team Racing making the cut even with the original games getting the remaster treatment, but alas, it's nowhere to be found on there as well.

Glad I didn't pre-order this. 

I imagine Tony Hawk would be stuck in copyright hell because of the music situation.

They definitely undercut themselves, working on remasters simultaneously with making this. Crash and Spyro would've had people going nuts for this, and the remasters sold well accordingly, but they removed two of the core game series from that gen from this console in order to enable those remasters. I knew the game list wouldn't be great, but yeah, this is pretty terrible. Not a title on that list that would really drive me to buy it. Mix of things that I don't think would hold up and things that really just don't carry that nostalgia factor. Basically the opposite of how I felt about the SNES Classic lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

They're using the most popular emulators open source for this, lol. Not even doing anything of their own.

If anyone is mad about what games are on it, look, I bet you about a million dollars it will be child's play to add ISOs. If you are smart enough to know what those are and how to find them, I'm sure you can add games, the only issue being space. I have the entire USA ps1 iso collection, without being at my PC, I believe it's about 400GBs, I might be crossing that with my Dreamcast one though. But if you just want to add like ten games, I'm guessing ezpz on purpose

Archived