Shawn Lauvao Injured and will miss time

Doc Draper

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

Just move William's to LG. He'll be there in two years anyway.

That’s not going to happen. Williams is an All-Pro LT, you don’t move them to LG, you find another guard. I seriously doubt Williams will ever be a starting guard and not a starting OT. If he’s still playing in 5 years - which I think he will be - and isn’t playing LT anymore for whatever reason, they’ll move him to RT, not OG. 

Here's the interesting thing (to me at least):

With the injuries to wide receivers, they have been very proactive in dealing with the injuries: promoting Chesson from the PS, re-signing Quick, adding Floyd and Perriman. Now, those moves don't excite (or really interest) me, but at least they're doing something about it by trying to upgrade the talent base.

Why have there been zero articles mentioning them working out a single interior lineman?

2 hours ago, Woz said:

With the injuries to wide receivers, they have been very proactive in dealing with the injuries: promoting Chesson from the PS, re-signing Quick, adding Floyd and Perriman. Now, those moves don't excite (or really interest) me, but at least they're doing something about it by trying to upgrade the talent base.

Why have there been zero articles mentioning them working out a single interior lineman?

Yes sir, I’ve thought the same thing. I understand liking Casey Dunn’s potential, but no one can tell me that a guy like Alex Boone or Jahari Evans shouldn’t be on our roster right now.

51 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I will be interested to see how Roullier does at L G.. Maybe he's the future !

He did fine last game when he had to play at Lg a series or 2 when Scherff went out. Roullier is a solid interior OL, from what I can tell he’s an upgrade over Long and Lauvao in our interior OL. 

To me, center is more important than LG. I think he’ll stay at C in future years and we’ll find a new LG after this year... well, hopefully!

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He did fine last game when he had to play at Lg a series or 2 when Scherff went out. Roullier is a solid interior OL, from what I can tell he’s an upgrade over Long and Lauvao in our interior OL. 

To me, center is more important than LG. I think he’ll stay at C in future years and we’ll find a new LG after this year... well, hopefully!

I agree but I read somewhere the longterm plan was for him to move to guard ( said it was his natural position-was he a guard in college ? ) and they hoped to draft a new center. 

11 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I agree but I read somewhere the longterm plan was for him to move to guard ( said it was his natural position-was he a guard in college ? ) and they hoped to draft a new center. 

No he played a lot of RT in college but not at Guard.  

- edit - my bad I thought we were talking about TWill

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

He played both guard as a sophomore and junior in college, but he played center as a senior. When we drafted him he was scouted to be a center because as a senior he was Josh Allen’s center.

Rouiller matriculated from Burnsville High School to Cheyenne as a first-team all-state pick and an All-Metro selection by the Star-Tribune. He began showing off his versatility by starting the final three games of his redshirt freshman season at center and guard. Coaches kept him at the left guard spot over the next two seasons, and he started all 24 games, earning honorable mention All-Mountain West honors in 2014 and second-team all-conference in 2015. Roullier then moved to center for his final season, garnering first-team all-conference accolades by snapping the ball to and protecting quarterback Josh Allen and blocking for star back Brian Hill. That group helped his team reach the 2016 Mountain West Championship Game.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chase-roullier?id=2558037

13 hours ago, Woz said:

I’m with you. Baffling, really. 

Maybe there are no viable, playable OL who are street FAs at this point. There is a ludicrous lack of OL depth in the league at this point, I guess it’s possible there are no decent plug and play options on the market. 

But there’s no veteran player who even warrants a tryout? For a possible multi-game starting position? No one who could offer more value to this roster than Casey Dunn?

There’s more emphasis on digging up names with no game at the WR position than there is on addressing what could become a really gaping hole if Bergstrom is a downgrade from Roullier at C and Roullier is a downgrade from Lauvao as a pure guard? While we’re going into the weekend having to try to handle Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark (who I think is really impressive) and even Muhammad Wilkerson? Don’t get that. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Maybe there are no viable, playable OL who are street FAs at this point. There is a ludicrous lack of OL depth in the league at this point, I guess it’s possible there are no decent plug and play options on the market. 

Jahri Evans? Alex Boone?

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

Jahri Evans? Alex Boone?

I mean, he seemed to still play pretty well last season — but for all I know, Jahri Evans is happily 370 pounds (or 270 pounds) and enjoying not playing football at age 35. I haven’t heard much about him trying out for teams, etc. Maybe he only wants to play for teams he perceived as legitimate SB contenders. Maybe he doesn’t want to re-learn all the muscle memory and such in order to move to the left side. 

Alex Boone has been seriously declining for years. I can’t say with any certainty that he would come in and be better than these younger backups at this point. 

I’m not saying there aren’t any quality plug and play guys out there who are ready to go right now. I’m just saying it’s possible that there aren’t. A lot of teams need OL help in a major way, and yet no one seems to be even kicking the tires on these guys. 

Personally, I think Jonathan Cooper seems like a really obvious choice. He’s not great, but he played decently last year on an OL that is pretty similar to ours, in terms of both scheme and personnel. We know he’s basically in post-training camp shape, so he’s gotta be reasonably ready to step in and play.

The other thing I would say is that I think they’re probably putting off any major move at the position because they’re hoping to have Lauvao back for Week 5. Get through this weekend, take the bye week to get him healthy, and have the starting OL back ready to go against NO.

Don’t know that I agree with them — we’re all pretty skeptical of Lauvao, either his play or his durability or both. And for good reason, I think. But I suspect the hope that he’ll be able to get back after only missing one game is why they’re holding off on a bigger splash for now. 

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean, he seemed to still play pretty well last season — but for all I know, Jahri Evans is happily 370 pounds (or 270 pounds) and enjoying not playing football at age 35. I haven’t heard much about him trying out for teams, etc. Maybe he only wants to play for teams he perceived as legitimate SB contenders. Maybe he doesn’t want to re-learn all the muscle memory and such in order to move to the left side. 

Alex Boone has been seriously declining for years. I can’t say with any certainty that he would come in and be better than these younger backups at this point. 

I’m not saying there aren’t any quality plug and play guys out there who are ready to go right now. I’m just saying it’s possible that there aren’t. A lot of teams need OL help in a major way, and yet no one seems to be even kicking the tires on these guys. 

Personally, I think Jonathan Cooper seems like a really obvious choice. He’s not great, but he played decently last year on an OL that is pretty similar to ours, in terms of both scheme and personnel. We know he’s basically in post-training camp shape, so he’s gotta be reasonably ready to step in and play.

Evans tried out for the Packers this offseaon but they went with the young guys. There were no reports of him being small or out of shape. I do think he still wants to play.

Jonathan Cooper is probably the best choice. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t put Casey Dunn on the practice squad and sign Cooper.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Given that they aren't using said younger backups, I doubt that.

Archived