Matt Jones

RSkinGM

I, for one , maybe the only one ( doubtful )will be very disappointed if he is cut. I still believe in Scotty M and he still believes in Matt Jones. I remember two plays especially . A third and 1 and he gets nailed almost before he gets the ball but his incredible strength, he held his ground and then lunged forward to and beyond the line of scrimmage to get that one yard. Another where he took a simple screen pass like 80 yards showing speed and moves .

If he gets cut-he won't be out there 5 minutes. !

I'm less optimistic this year than any year of my Redskin life. If he's cut I'll drop down another notch . He's just too young to give up on so early.

Well Perine certainly didn't look ready Week 1 of preseason.  I'd say in the regular season started right now we'd probably carry 4 RBs, Kelley, Jones, Thompson and Perine.  Jones would likely be Kelley's primary backup with Thompson the 3rd down back.  Perine just looked lost out there to me.  

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I, for one , maybe the only one ( doubtful )will be very disappointed if he is cut. I still believe in Scotty M and he still believes in Matt Jones. I remember two plays especially . A third and 1 and he gets nailed almost before he gets the ball but his incredible strength, he held his ground and then lunged forward to and beyond the line of scrimmage to get that one yard. Another where he took a simple screen pass like 80 yards showing speed and moves .

If he gets cut-he won't be out there 5 minutes. !

I'm less optimistic this year than any year of my Redskin life. If he's cut I'll drop down another notch . He's just too young to give up on so early.

Is this for real? You're less optimistic now than in the history of your fandom? I can't believe this. Our roster is better than any I can remember since 1993 and you're not optimistic? 

Are you basing this just off of one preseason game? Please say that's not true.

And Matt Jones are you serious? You and everyone killed me for believing he could be the guy last year, now we have 2 years of him not performing well enough and you believe in him?

This is unbelievable to me

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well Perine certainly didn't look ready Week 1 of preseason.  I'd say in the regular season started right now we'd probably carry 4 RBs, Kelley, Jones, Thompson and Perine.  Jones would likely be Kelley's primary backup with Thompson the 3rd down back.  Perine just looked lost out there to me.  

Perine was a rookie in his first preseason game. We certainly need to see more out of him and let's not forget how poorly our OL played.

I'd keep Mack Brown over Matt Jones. Brown has flashed every time he's gotten the opportunity and Brown is a good special teams player, Jones is still learning how to do that.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Is this for real? You're less optimistic now than in the history of your fandom? I can't believe this. Our roster is better than any I can remember since 1993 and you're not optimistic? 

And Matt Jones are you serious? You and everyone killed me for believing he could be the guy last year, now we have 2 years of him not performing well enough and you believe in him?

Turtle, you have a great memory but you're wrong on this one. It wasn't me that ever criticised you for believing in Matt Jones. I even defended his inexcusable fumble against the Lions because he did it giving extra effort. 

Yes, I'm not confident at all. Cousins contract fiasco. He lost his "go to" guy in Garcon. Pryor still a work in progress. My gosh, I'm reading Ryan Grant could start and everyone wanted his head last year. The D-line is still an unknown. The O-line may be overrated . Cravens and Doctson can't stay on the field. We've lost an UNDERrated D E already. Hey, The sky is falling O.o.  

12 hours ago, mar29020 said:

coaches gave up on jones way to quick. tiki barber had a fumbling problem and they fixed that.

It's not just the fumbling. If it was just that they would've given him a chance to win back the job but he has no vision, doesn't run with authority and simply isn't very good. They recognized this very early on. He's not even close to being the best RB on the roster. Kelley and CT are clearly better runners and Perine is going to be also. Jones was a massive reach that Scot missed on. It happens. 

12 hours ago, mar29020 said:

coaches gave up on jones way to quick. tiki barber had a fumbling problem and they fixed that.

This league is all about what can you do for me now. A history of fumbling at a position in which you were drafted 2 rounds too early, and really didn't show any reason to keep you outside of the fumbling issues, you become expendable very quickly. Jones could use a start somewhere else instead of sitting on the bench taking up a roster spot. 

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Perine was a rookie in his first preseason game. We certainly need to see more out of him and let's not forget how poorly our OL played.

I agree.  One pre-season game is too soon to say if Perine is ready or not.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It's not just the fumbling. If it was just that they would've given him a chance to win back the job but he has no vision, doesn't run with authority and simply isn't very good. They recognized this very early on. He's not even close to being the best RB on the roster. Kelley and CT are clearly better runners and Perine is going to be also. Jones was a massive reach that Scot missed on. It happens. 

Mack Brown is better also. I was for Matt Jones getting his opportunity last offseason to take the job and run with it, and after being pretty much handed the job because we didn't re-sign Morris, Jones failed. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

turtle and his burgandy and gold colored glasses.Every year is the best since 91 lol

3 hours ago, TKellion said:

turtle and his burgandy and gold colored glasses.Every year is the best since 91 lol

Lol, I've never been that optimistic about the team where I thought they were for sure to win it all. I do think that Redskins fans want to be pessimistic about everything Redskins because I guess they don't want to get hurt or something, I just can't understand it. I guess it's like us Caps fans as well, we don't want to believe the team will win in the playoffs because we don't want to be let down.

I agree with Lavar on jones. The bigger issues RedskinsGM points out better be fixed fast. If we don't win game 1 it's 50-50 we open up 0-4 which kills the season. Hence- time to transition from Spa Gruden practices and exchange the slippers and massages for cleats and pads. 

Archived