Matt Jones

RSkinGM

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Because if you completely give up trying to go up the middle you A) make your offense that more one-dimensional and B) require a 5'8", 191 lb scatback to dodge defensive linemen and linebackers.

Yeah, I hear ya, they'd have to get a bit creative. They could run CT mostly on outside zone and toss sweeps but have him do some draw plays and quick hitters a few times a game, that would throw the defense off. Also if Kelley or Perine is his back up and get like 10 plays a game they get in between the tackles and short yardage carries. I get that it's not ideal but I think it's our best option. 

We don't run the ball effectively anyways - as is - it's almost a waste to even try. Might as well use our best and most versatile back more and throw him the ball more out of the backfield on option routes, swing passes and in the slot.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I hear ya, they'd have to get a bit creative. They could run CT mostly on outside zone and toss sweeps but have him do some draw plays and quick hitters a few times a game, that would throw the defense off. Also if Kelley or Perine is his back up and get like 10 plays a game they get in between the tackles and short yardage carries. I get that it's not ideal but I think it's our best option. 

We don't run the ball effectively anyways - as is - it's almost a waste to even try. Might as well use our best and most versatile back more and throw him the ball more out of the backfield on option routes, swing passes and in the slot.

This just tips off our opponents on what we are going to do. If we bring in Thompson, then they'll know to go wide (either with a toss or a flare pass) and expect to move everyone left or right to force him to run east-west. If it's Kelley/Perine, close up tight.

While we may not run effectively, let's not make it worse by tipping our hand.

I said at other places before the draft that we need a Dalvin Cook-type rusher, who excels outside of the tackles but still has the ability to run well in between them, and get into space.  That's what we need, because what we have now essentially tips our hand to the play we are running unless some sort of misdirection happens. 

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I said at other places before the draft that we need a Dalvin Cook-type rusher, who excels outside of the tackles but still has the ability to run well in between them, and get into space.  That's what we need, because what we have now essentially tips our hand to the play we are running unless some sort of misdirection happens. 

You gotta wonder if Cook had dropped to us in the 2nd whether he would have been the pick over Anderson.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Going for a Dalvin Cook would have only been possible if we passed on Jonathan Allen. As good as Cook may be, that's not a trade I would make. Not sure where else we could have gone, except maybe D'Onta Foreman/James Conner instead of Fabian Moreau?

That all said, I'm still not sure that a different running back would perform better given the state of the run blocking.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:34 PM, Woz said:

Going for a Dalvin Cook would have only been possible if we passed on Jonathan Allen. As good as Cook may be, that's not a trade I would make. Not sure where else we could have gone, except maybe D'Onta Foreman/James Conner instead of Fabian Moreau?

That all said, I'm still not sure that a different running back would perform better given the state of the run blocking.

We took the BPA in round 1 & 3 for sure. Perine is equivalent to Foreman and may even be better/more versatile. I wonder if we should have taken Alvin Kamara because he looks like a straight up baller so far and he's a good return man.

Archived