Matt Jones

RSkinGM

3 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I agree with Lavar on jones. The bigger issues RedskinsGM points out better be fixed fast. If we don't win game 1 it's 50-50 we open up 0-4 which kills the season. Hence- time to transition from Spa Gruden practices and exchange the slippers and massages for cleats and pads. 

Maybe they'll fire Gruden and give Tomsula the head coaching job. I mean he did so well at his last head coaching job... lol ? 

22 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Nah chucky is going to be next hire somewhere in organization 

I'd have no problem if Jon Gruden got a job in the future with the Redskins in the front office or something, the guy has as good as a football mind as anyone out there.

Why I don't care for Matt Jones (or prefer Rob Kelley over him):

1. Fumbling. Yes, this can be worked on, but it's a major issue.
  2. Loss of yards. Assuming for a moment that our running back is being hit in the backfield due to piss poor upfront blocking, Kelley almost never loses yards. He may not gain massive chunks of field, but he is consistent at grinding yards. That's a very useful skill to have. Jones would dance around in the backfield and lose us 2 or 3 yards on a disconcerting basis.
  3. Run blocking. I don't recall Jones standing out on this point, but I do recall Kelley blocking in the backfield. To his credit, Chris Thompson is a willing blocker. He's just not big enough to take on line backers.
  4. Running back is arguably the easiest position to replace. If you cannot do the job right now, I don't feel it is necessarily worth the time and effort to coach you up when I get another cheap, young talent.

Sure, Jones might go somewhere else and flourish. However, he's got a very thin chance of doing it because there are so many cheap running backs around.

BTW, no, Jones does not have practice squad eligibility.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, mike23md said:

This league is all about what can you do for me now. A history of fumbling at a position in which you were drafted 2 rounds too early, and really didn't show any reason to keep you outside of the fumbling issues, you become expendable very quickly. Jones could use a start somewhere else instead of sitting on the bench taking up a roster spot. 

He's a classic change of scenery case, and has no value with us at this point.  Jones has the potential, but the fumbles have cost him any coin with this coaching staff.  

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's a classic change of scenery case, and has no value with us at this point.  Jones has the potential, but the fumbles have cost him any coin with this coaching staff.  

Problem is I don't see him getting a second chance easily. There are A LOT of running backs to be had now with a whole mess more in 10 days time. It's going to be tough to get a gig over them if he is thought to have fumbling problems.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Problem is I don't see him getting a second chance easily. There are A LOT of running backs to be had now with a whole mess more in 10 days time. It's going to be tough to get a gig over them if he is thought to have fumbling problems.

What Jones has over a lot of the other guys is his size.  I definitely think he gets another shot, but you are correct, it's not going to be an easy thing.  RBs are a dime a dozen right now in more ways than one 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

What Jones has over a lot of the other guys is his size.  I definitely think he gets another shot, but you are correct, it's not going to be an easy thing.  RBs are a dime a dozen right now in more ways than one 

He looks the part, but if he cannot play the part, his career is likely over. He could get another shot, and if he does and succeeds, good for him. I won't begrudge him a bit. I just don't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

He looks the part, but if he cannot play the part, his career is likely over. He could get another shot, and if he does and succeeds, good for him. I won't begrudge him a bit. I just don't see it happening.

For sure.  After watching him run over my Bulldawgs while at Florida, I was excited to have him on our roster.  Dude is the biggest guys I've seen who has a case of twinkle-toes, more often than not he is dancing instead of hitting the hole with authority.  He also has to realize that, and that his path to more time is going to be using his size. 

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Why I don't care for Matt Jones (or prefer Rob Kelley over him):

1. Fumbling. Yes, this can be worked on, but it's a major issue.
  2. Loss of yards. Assuming for a moment that our running back is being hit in the backfield due to piss poor upfront blocking, Kelley almost never loses yards. He may not gain massive chunks of field, but he is consistent at grinding yards. That's a very useful skill to have. Jones would dance around in the backfield and lose us 2 or 3 yards on a disconcerting basis.
  3. Run blocking. I don't recall Jones standing out on this point, but I do recall Kelley blocking in the backfield. To his credit, Chris Thompson is a willing blocker. He's just not big enough to take on line backers.
  4. Running back is arguably the easiest position to replace. If you cannot do the job right now, I don't feel it is necessarily worth the time and effort to coach you up when I get another cheap, young talent.

Sure, Jones might go somewhere else and flourish. However, he's got a very thin chance of doing it because there are so many cheap running backs around.

BTW, no, Jones does not have practice squad eligibility.

Kelley had a few negative runs last game. He's averaging 1 ypc. It's clear Gruden wants him to be the guy because guy's like Macon Brown get NO run at all with the 1st and 2nd team Ol and I personally think he's the best we have at getting north and south and hitting the hole Plus he has shown some break away speed. I have no clue why he doesn't get one chance with the starters.

If it were me, I'd start Thompson, I'd just monitor his carries and not use him in short yardage. We throw the ball so much that it really doesn't matter if Thompson is the starter and gets more than 50% of the playing time IMO. He's such a threat as a receiver. We can use him in the slot and he's a killer on the zone run scheme. If he plays more I think our O will take another positive step forward.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Kelley had a few negative runs last game. He's averaging 1 ypc. It's clear Gruden wants him to be the guy because guy's like Macon Brown get NO run at all with the 1st and 2nd team Ol and I personally think he's the best we have at getting north and south and hitting the hole Plus he has shown some break away speed. I have no clue why he doesn't get one chance with the starters.

As best as I can recall, his negative runs are mainly due to the fact he gets the ball and there is a tackler right there to greet him in the backfield. It isn't Kelley, but the pathetic line blocking.

Mack Brown is a guy who A) has only highlighted his ability against 2nd team players (at best), B) whose pass blocking is a bit questionable, and C) is suspended for the first four games. That is not a guy you invest in long term if he cannot do it on his own.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

If it were me, I'd start Thompson, I'd just monitor his carries and not use him in short yardage. We throw the ball so much that it really doesn't matter if Thompson is the starter and gets more than 50% of the playing time IMO. He's such a threat as a receiver. We can use him in the slot and he's a killer on the zone run scheme. If he plays more I think our O will take another positive step forward.

Problem is that Thompson really cannot grind yards up the middle. He will bounce outside to daylight every time. Also, while he is willing, he's too small to pass block.

12 minutes ago, Woz said:

As best as I can recall, his negative runs are mainly due to the fact he gets the ball and there is a tackler right there to greet him in the backfield. It isn't Kelley, but the pathetic line blocking.

Mack Brown is a guy who A) has only highlighted his ability against 2nd team players (at best), B) whose pass blocking is a bit questionable, and C) is suspended for the first four games. That is not a guy you invest in long term if he cannot do it on his own.

I forgot about him being suspended. He did have the 61 yard TD run vs the Bears last year.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Problem is that Thompson really cannot grind yards up the middle. He will bounce outside to daylight every time. Also, while he is willing, he's too small to pass block.

What's the difference, we don't do it anyways and haven't done that consistently since Morris was here. We should play to our strengths for most of the game by playing Thompson; throwing him the ball and getting him the ball in space on outside zone runs and toss sweeps. 

We can still have Kelley or Perine get like 10 carries a game on mostly inside plays as a change of pace.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What's the difference, we don't do it anyways and haven't done that consistently since Morris was here. We should play to our strengths for most of the game by playing Thompson; throwing him the ball and getting him the ball in space on outside zone runs and toss sweeps. 

We can still have Kelley or Perine get like 10 carries a game on mostly inside plays as a change of pace.

Because if you completely give up trying to go up the middle you A) make your offense that more one-dimensional and B) require a 5'8", 191 lb scatback to dodge defensive linemen and linebackers.

Archived