The ⛵️BOAT? Thread

.Buzz

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like some people are way too influenced by whatever the latest game is, and when Bortles comes off a good one against a bad team, they just like to gloss over the turd he put together the week before.

He can be serviceable overall, and he's always had the ability to have some big games when he gets on a roll.  But his performance is still prone to going completely yo-yo from week to week, and when he puts up a clunker...it's really really hard to win, without a herculean effort from the defense and running game.  At the end of the day, that still makes him extremely hard for me to really trust.  One of those bad games at the wrong time and you're eliminated.  It's an unforgiving league for a QB with such volatility in performance.

It's not like it's just been this smooth upward trajectory for Bortles.  The overall trendline may be generally trending up, but the volatile spikes are still there, up and down.  That's why so many "outsiders" still look at Bortles and suggest he doesn't pass the "eye test".  There's a strong odor of inconsistency that continues to follow him around.

He does have his clunkers, but it's not like every QB in the NFL doesn't have the same clunkers time and time again.

People in the game manager roles have similar games like this. I've seen guys like Alex Smith have his fair share of Tennessee games ala a couple weeks ago for Blake.

It's definitely frustrating though, but we can't act like its only Blake. This is the NFL and these guys are humans, bad games/great games by the D's/OC's not calling great games are going to have a few games a year where stuff like that happens. 

Another thing that needs to be talked about is that he's starting to use his legs more when the arm doesn't get the job done. Really, starting in that Arizona game, he's found a way to be productive.

Don't dissect the idea behind this too much, but if we pretend that his rush attempts are passes, his bad games aren't as bad as they appear.

ORIG:
B6fGdGv.png

+RUSH:
Vk1HVQK.png

He needs to be able to do this with his arm, but his bad games aren't exactly as bad as they've been previously, nor really as bad as they appear because he's starting to get the mental aspect to a point that he finds a way to be a positive influence more oft than not even if its shifting from throwing to running.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MoJo122-b-21 said:

I don't know if this is the place for it or not, but what would Derek Carr be worth?  The 2019 draft doesn't look great for franchise quarterbacks and it looks like there's a pretty poor chance Bortles turns it around. 

I mean, Carr is doing worse in a relatively similar situation.

24 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I mean, Carr is doing worse in a relatively similar situation.

Yeah.  The biggest thing that causes Carr to completely fall apart is pressure.  And our OLine right now is...yeeesh.  Maybe next year, but then...do you really want to tie yourself to a $25M QB who needs an elite offensive line to perform adequately?  Trying to guarantee an elite OLine, even through potential injuries is a fool's gamble in this league imo.  Especially when you're already dumping a huge chunk of cap on the QB themselves.

Archived