If Dante Fowler builds on game one...

.Buzz

What do we do?

8670321.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

I know he's been very volatile player for us since getting here. But I gotta ask, if he continues to build on week 2 (saw great bend, was consistently wreaking havoc (against a poor RT to be fair), and he brings high energy and a very physical playstyle to this defense, do we entertain keeping him? 

I gotta say, if he continues his play it's going to be tough to let a very talented (yes, he is Uber talented, he has some mental lapses and is raw in areas but he definitely has a chance to be special if he puts it all together).

We are going to have to let a few guys go at some point in the next couple years though.

21 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

You don't let young pass rushers walk. Like ever.

Remember when we couldn't find any guys that could get to the QB and now we want to let one walk?

Yeah, I agree. But Fowler has to continue flashing that bend he showed in NE and continue to produce. I think he gets paid either way due to upside, but if we commit large $ to him he has to be more production than down the road upside due to our situation imo.

Campbell should be off the books soon, and gotta imagine we don't keep Dareus at his cap hit (although he may be proving to be worth a large sum of $$$ as well). Parnell comes off books soon. Maybe let Lee go after next year?

Still HAVE to pay Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue though too.

If he shows he can be a guy that generates pressure on his own, and not a guy who spends most of his time being the beneficiary of disruption caused by others, you pay him.

He’s had two really good games back to back against the Patriots where he’s generated his own pressure. But New England has also been playing some dreadfully bad offensive linemen and that’s where Fowler got almost all of his pressure lined up against, so I really want to see him build more on this before we even entertain the discussion in any meaningful way.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I don't think it's really in our hands. I'm sure we will make an offer, but he's going to have a huge free agent market. It's a virtual certainty that he's gone after this year.

Pretty much 100% this. There is definitely concern like Pwny said about him being able to generate his own pressure. Having guys like CC/Yannick/Malik makes his job alot easier so its tough to tell just how good he is. He is going to get a good offer from us but he'll get stupid-paid from some other team. Yes you keep your pass rushers but at the same time we aren't exactly itching to sign him long term at this point because of his off-field stuff and not being THAT good yet. Plus signing him could cost us Jalen or supposedly Bouye(idk) Already seems like Malik/Church are as good as gone but who knows

Archived