Best movie trilogy of all time?

KManX89

Best movie trilogy of all time?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best movie trilogy of all time?

• Star Wars Original
    • Star Wars Prequel
    • Lord of the Rings
    • Back to the Future
    • The Godfather
    • The Matrix
    • Spider-Man
    • The Dark Knight
    • Men in Black
    • Evil Dead
    • Other

I left out films such as Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Bourne, Alien, etc. since they're no longer trilogies. Also omitted Avengers because it's getting a fourth film. I included Evil Dead since the 2013 movie is a reboot.

Anyways, of the choices given, I'd say the Lord of the Rings, all 3 movies are absolutely amazing. It also seems to be one of the only trilogies that gets better, and not worse with each sequel. It pains me to say the Matrix trilogy doesn't pass the muster test (speaking strictly for myself) despite the original being my favorite movie with the ****ty third movie and disappointing second film.

The Matrix shouldn't even be on the list because of those second two movies. 

The Godfather shouldn't even be on the list because of that third one. 

If I had to rank them, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Star Wars Original Trilogy.  Nothing will ever top this trilogy. 
2. Lord of the Rings.  Not even a Lord of the Rings guy, but these movies were an incredible achievement. 
3. The Dark Knight trilogy. 

It was between the original Star Wars trilogy and LotR for me. Tough call, but I went with LotR just because of the quality of the third film in each trilogy. While Return of the King eclipses the other two LotR movies, Return of the Jedi was a step back from the other 2 original Star Wars films in terms of quality. The original Star Wars trilogy is of course the more iconic of the two trilogies, but LotR was more consistently epic in terms of film quality IMO.

But that's like comparing a Lamborghini to a Ferrari. They're both revolutionary.

Archived