Week 3: Green Bay Packers

Ghostnote

Clay Matthews didn’t commit a penalty and the refs made up for it by calling the Redskins for about 4 penalties in a row after the fact. And neither was Payne’s. It’s football for Christ sakes and if they want to change it they are going to lose fans like they never have before. 

50 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Clay Matthews didn’t commit a penalty and the refs made up for it by calling the Redskins for about 4 penalties in a row after the fact. And neither was Payne’s. It’s football for Christ sakes and if they want to change it they are going to lose fans like they never have before. 

Yeah, I mean when I played defense, this was about as clean a sack as I could get. His hit on Alex was perfect

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I mean when I played defense, this was about as clean a sack as I could get. His hit on Alex was perfect

They explained why it is illegal.  Not that it isn't a bad rule,but you cannot bring all of your weight down on the QB when taking him down.  Payne should have been called too. They spoke about it all day yesterday on the radio. Bad rule,right call. 

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Last night was awful! 4 personal foul calls on sacks or QB hits in the first half. The nfl is making their game unwatchable.

I think the rule stands but common sense will prevail real soon. Unless the Q B gets hit in the knees or head or picked up and slammed or hit late . It's all good ! The Owners will be making some clandestine calls .. cause it's going to effect their bottom line .

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I think the rule stands but common sense will prevail real soon. Unless the Q B gets hit in the knees or head or picked up and slammed or hit late . It's all good ! The Owners will be making some clandestine calls .. cause it's going to effect their bottom line .

The NFL put out a statement today saying the rule is not being enforced properly. I guess we’ll see if it changes. 

48 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The issue is, I think the refs are calling the rule as best they can, but it's just a really bad rule. Some of the penalties thrown for hits on Ben last night were absurd, if you don't bring him down shoulder to body like that, how are you supposed to bring him down, he's huge.

Yep, Smoot gave a good example of him trying to tackle Ben or a QB like Cam’s size. As Smoot said, I’m not even 200 pounds, it’s hard for me to tackle a 230-240 pound QB, I need to take them down by any means necessary!

8 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

They explained why it is illegal.  Not that it isn't a bad rule,but you cannot bring all of your weight down on the QB when taking him down.  Payne should have been called too. They spoke about it all day yesterday on the radio. Bad rule,right call. 

I literally don't see how Matthews was supposed to do anything else. He didn't really bring all his weight down. He didn't pick him up and drive him into the ground. He didn't flop down on him. He simply tackled him. The guy on the bottom getting tackled is going to have the weight of the guy on top of him. <=== that is just high school physics. 

If you had shown me that hit by Matthews as a textbook example of proper tackling, I'd agree. So if it is the correct call per the rule, then the rule needs to be eliminated ASAP

Archived