Texans v Giants - race to 0-3!

ET80

9 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We can’t afford both. Hopefully we are throwing big money at some O-Line 

Given what we saw from Watt today, I'd say it's an easy choice on who to keep. 

Clowney is going to get ridiculous money, but not from us.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Is Watt back? 

Too early to tell...but yesterday was vintage, DPOY Watt. It's more than the numbers, he was simply destroying his matchup. 

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

How has Clowney been so far in this contract year?

He's proving he doesn't deserve Mack/Donald money. Really glad we didn't pay him this off-season because he looks like a mess out there.

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Too early to tell...but yesterday was vintage, DPOY Watt. It's more than the numbers, he was simply destroying his matchup. 

He's proving he doesn't deserve Mack/Donald money. Really glad we didn't pay him this off-season because he looks like a mess out there.

3 games in and you can’t tell Clowney has even played 

34 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

3 games in and you can’t tell Clowney has even played 

Sad part is, he's gonna sign with Tennessee, reunite with Vrabel and probably turn a huge corner. 

Another note - just read an article, Deshaun Watson is under pressure on 47.6% of his drop backs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/9/24/17896610/nfl-year-two-quarterback-panic-index-jimmy-garoppolo-mitchell-trubisky-deshaun-watson

This is very bad. It's beyond winning and losing games, this can David Carr him if he's taking this much abuse this early on. He might develop bad habits get simply won't be able to shake.

Not even going to bother itemizing all the horrors I witnessed as this franchise just keeps digging to new lows with plenty of usual suspects carrying shovels. All that was different this week is that Lamar Miller was awful, Shereece Wright was the latest victim signed off the street into a #2 CB role, Cunningham keeps getting beat, and Clowney and Mercilus might be the least productive pair of OLBs in the league right now. The horrific discipline, complete lack of urgency, inept playcalling, strategic flaws, and utter lack of preparedness have been staples of the O'Brien regime so it's just history repeating itself in new permutations each week aside from a 6 week glimmer of hope last year that was more about individual greatness briefly tipping the scale of incompetence as JJ tried to do this week. 

The most maddening part is that any of this is a surprise as this offensive line has gotten worse every single year O'Brien and Devlin have been here.  What possible justification could there be that Devlin would be able to coach up a 4th round small school project into an NFL starter when we witnessed his complete failure to fix the obvious flaws in 33rd overall pick and 4 year starter XSF's technique.  We're counting on him to magically turn backups into starters with Kelemete and Henderson when we watched Allen completely implode under their tutelage.  Nick Martin came into the league as a plug and play center and has not only failed take steps forward, he's taken steps backward as it's time to admit that he's a mess like the rest of them, his penalties and mistakes are just overshadowed by greater consequences when tackles fail.  We were expecting adjustments to be made when Breno Giacomini played nearly every snap last year?  We're expecting depth when Kendall Lamm is one of 3 backups on the roster?  We trust them when we draft a guy nearly everyone identifies as an NFL guard at best in Rankin and somehow teach him how to overcome his measurables with technique and become a starting LT with practically no offseason as a 3rd rounder? 

This franchise sells hope in things that are obvious to the rest of the football world as folly, yet somehow we keep buying and basing entire seasons on a set of variables that fall apart upon the slightest test of historical precident.  We aren't going to wake up some day and magically see Kevin Johnson transform into an even a marginal NFL player any more than Miller, Strong, Posey, Martin were going to transform into NFL WRs.  Kareem Jackson isn't going to wake up and be able to cover anyone man to man.  Our bend don't break defense that creates no turnovers is not going to mesh with a 1st/2nd down conservative offense that has always imploded under huge mistakes with turnovers and sacks.  Most of all, there is not one shred of possible faith we should have that this team with this coach can ever win close games especially late. It's like going to a Texans game and not expecting the same tired crap country music and flag wrapped entertainment package - it defines us.

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

Good to hear he looked as good as his stat line. Was a 1st time starting RT so I'm tempering expectations a bit, but I really do think he's going to return to form. Really bad injuries, but in the trenches you can make up for certain explosive movements he may never regain to 100% in a variety of ways, a luxury not afforded to skill players.

I did see that 1st sack, which not even Lane Johnson with a false start would have been able to prevent. Whoosh.

The Clowney stuff is interesting, after I posted the questions I looked at past few pages and saw all of you guys pooping on him. Obviously loved him as a prospect, and saw him improve each and every season with his technique. One of the most dominant LBs I've seen at setting the edge on runs. Any clue what the hell has happened to him? Lack of effort in offseason?

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Obviously loved him as a prospect, and saw him improve each and every season with his technique. One of the most dominant LBs I've seen at setting the edge on runs. Any clue what the hell has happened to him? Lack of effort in offseason?

I think it's the lack of Mike Vrabel. Vrabel joined the Texans in 2014, and his official title was "LB Coach" but the fairest title would have been "Handler of JD Clowney". Vrabel was brought in specifically to shepard Clowney - the injuries his first two years stymied that work, but you saw JD develop with Vrabel.

Now that's Vrabel is in Tennessee, Clowney is losing that technique and instinct. It's also why I'm firmly of the belief that Clowney is headed to Tennessee at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

The most maddening part is that any of this is a surprise as this offensive line has gotten worse every single year O'Brien and Devlin have been here

I was thinking about this - we got rid of Sua Fill, Allen, Lamm and Giacomini, and somehow got WORSE.

Who else is there to blame?

Archived